• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What is best for a fan-editing Noob?

womble is the easiest prgram to pick up, fairly cheap. only issue is most audio and video transitions have to be done in a seperate programe or they will look like crap

PinkPantherKubric said:
I am 18, virtually broke, and have an interest to edit. Help me. Please.
Don't get into fanediting.
It's a pretty exclusive club that requires money.
Money for the computer, money for the editing software, money for the dvds you need to own and money for the distribution.
And after all this investment of cash what do you get for it?
No money.

killbillme said:
Don't get into fanediting. It's a pretty exclusive club that requires money.
Aww, come on. Don't discourage him. Welcome him to the madness!
Money for...
He has a computer already, software cost depends on how high end you wanna go, he could edit on Movie Maker for all it matters. DVDs cost just pocket change, and y'gotta assume he owns some movies. And it's never cost me a dime to distribute anything.
And after all this investment of cash what do you get for it?
No money.
And yet we all keep doing it. :grin:

And it's never cost me a dime to distribute anything.
I guess your Dad pays for the internet service. :p
Me? It costs me $40 a month to be online.

What would be a good middle ground software for a noob to start with?
assuming said noob had slightly more $ than none and less than alot? :)

actually lewis' suggestion seems best. Seems like alot of the benefits of Vegas, at a reasonable price. And the nice thing, if you get comfortable with it, but you want to go to the next level, you can upgrade to Vegas Pro without having to re-learn a complete software package.

it seems best buy has that product on sale for $39.99 at the moment.
at that price its worth picking up just to tinker with.
thanks, lewis & throw

So I picked up that software on the cheap and was getting ready to install when I read the TOS that states you can only use on one computer at a time w/o purchasing an additional licence.

my problem is, my work PC is where I have most of my free time (oddly enough) but my home PC is more powerful and would be my system of choice if I were limited to a single install.

so my question is to vegas users, is that the truth? am I limited to a single install or is that just legal mumbo-jumbo.

I just dont want to install now (at work) and get home to find that I cant install there.

Thanks.

Well, lewis886 and & are using older versions of Vegas (and the full versions) so I can't comment on that, and I've actually never tried installing elsewhere. I know a lot of newer software can only be installed on one system though. My recommendation would be to install it at home first, and then try to install it at work. Maybe someone with the same version as you can comment better than me.

My recommendation would be to install it at home first, and then try to install it at work.

yeah thats what I plan on doing but I am stuck at work for the next 6 hrs and am itching to testdrive this software. if that is the case do you know how/where I can purchase an additional licence? I cant seem to locate any info through google and/or the sony creative site lewis linked above.

hmpf... I just bought an Iron Man Bluray that I cant watch and Vegas software that I cant use 'till I get home.

to quote QuiGon-Jin "you must learn patience my young padawan" :/

Thanks

my guess is that when you try to install the second time, if you need to purchase a second license, it will take you to a website to do so online. but this is just a hypothesis :)

thanks again for all the guidance.

It's been said before but it can always be repeated. I love this site for its content but moreso for its kind and helpful members/staff who dont mind helping us noobies.

Its all quite refreshing and very appricated.

In case anyone was wondering, you can install on more than one PC.
I just entered the same registration info on both and it gave me no problems (yet)

you can then successfully work on the same project on multiple PC's as long as both have the same source files present.
I have edited my Alien 4 project at work and home w/ no issues.

Back
Top Bottom