• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What does everyone use for their disc art?

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used to have a program with my printer that let me design disc art, but I haven't used it in years so it's not installed. And even then I'm not sure it would let me save my design as a .jpg or anything.

Is there any simple free program for this?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
are you looking for a program to print the disc, or just create the disc art?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always use GIMP and throw's cover art pack.

http://www.gimp.org/

Tho i am fairly certain kevinicus has a fine image manipulator allready. So i assume this is for printing the disc art, witch i would like to know how to do. can anyone recommend a reliable method/materials-equipment to do so.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well if you use throws templates for the disc/ameray you can print directly from photoshop so i would assume gimp would allow the same basic export.
materials - heavier stock paper w/ a gloss or straight photo paper looks best in my experience.
regular old white printer paper will look like crap though.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Na, sorry elbatro1, i meant how to print the disc art. I'm fine with the cover art, i just don't know about printing the disc.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
do you mean a adhesive label, or using printer ready (white top) discs?
or lightscribe?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly i have no idea. What would you recommend?

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:

NOT using the adhesive labels. I made that mistake long ago. I later learned that as the labels age, they can start getting gummy around the edges, and begin to pull off (due the heat in the player, I would assume). They can also throw the balance of a disc off, which can actually get worse as some parts of the label wear off and the weight balance is further skewed.

In a nutshell, DON'T DO IT.

I would highly recommend a printer with disc printing capabilities, if you want to have nice looking discs. Lightscribe is fine, but really not worth the crap discs you have to buy.

I believe that I have an Epson disc printing printer, but i'm too tired to walk downstairs to see. It works great on the Verbatim white-label discs that I always use, printed disc or not.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
GIMP (with a cover template) is the best way of making disc art (unless you shell out for Photoshop, which isn't really BETTER, only with a better interface.)

I love GIMP so much, I want to take it out behind the middle school and make it pregnant.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
GIMP (with a cover template) is the best way of making disc art (unless you shell out for Photoshop, which isn't really BETTER, only with a better interface.)

I love GIMP so much, I want to take it out behind the middle school and make it pregnant.

You want to get a middle school gimp pregnant? Oh i don't like where this is going.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:eek: That's even worse :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roflmfao!!!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Rogue-theX said:

NOT using the adhesive labels. I made that mistake long ago. I later learned that as the labels age, they can start getting gummy around the edges, and begin to pull off (due the heat in the player, I would assume). They can also throw the balance of a disc off, which can actually get worse as some parts of the label wear off and the weight balance is further skewed.

In a nutshell, DON'T DO IT.

I would highly recommend a printer with disc printing capabilities, if you want to have nice looking discs. Lightscribe is fine, but really not worth the crap discs you have to buy.

I believe that I have an Epson disc printing printer, but i'm too tired to walk downstairs to see. It works great on the Verbatim white-label discs that I always use, printed disc or not.

^^ the man speaks the truth. NO adhesive labels. None, whatsoever. I'm still amazed that companies sell the things. They ruin your discs. I also use white printable discs 99% of the time, even though I rarely print labels on them.

Photoshop or GIMP to design the art (you'll find a template in my cover art tutorial). As theSlime wrote, GIMP will do most things PS can do, but imo, the interface sucks. I don't think GIMP can hold up to a lot of the things that are new in Photoshop CS5 either (content-aware, powerful HDR, lots of 3D capabilities). ..but most of that isn't necessary for simple disc art.

based on the interface, I'd say love-making with GIMP is just awkward and uncomfortable. PS is a smooth ride all the way :-D cue the music...

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
content-aware
If you're thinking about content-aware fill, that's basically the years-old GIMP resynthesizer plugin - only hyped and renamed to something understandable.

Resynthesizer in action:
[youtube:102he77o]

If you mean content-aware scaling (which Adobe bought from some company for the CS4 version), I don't know GIMP well enough to think of a similar function. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's there, considering Resynthesizer existed under people's noses for several years before everyone starting screaming MAGIC at the Photoshop fill function.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the_more_you_know2.jpg

(lets see how many times I can use this image today)

If only GIMP would improve their interface, I think they might be serious competition for Adobe.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This screenshot is from a beta version of The GIMP, in single-window mode.

I'd say that's an improvement.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Definitely! Looking good. I haven't been paying attention to the beta releases, but I guess I should.

Sidenote: Beta releases of open source software are often the best. They're usually completely stable (open source developers mostly save their unstable releases for alpha versions), and betas often come with new great functions that are almost obsolete (or at least old hat) when the actual release happens. Three applications that come to mind are Scribus, Audacity, and Cog (music player for OSX). RawTherapee (cross platform raw photo developer) is even stable in its alpha version (and much better than the stable version).

Top Bottom