• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What do you use to backup files?

IronPhoenix

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just got myself a Samsung T7 portable SSD (1 TB) for the express purpose of backing up all my audio/video files (...and relieving my PC's hard drive of some memory space). Anyone here used anything like that? If so, what are your impressions/opinions of how good they are?

Thanks!

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used to use Western Digital 2TB passports, and then started using slimmer Seagate 2tb drives. I found I had a couple of failures with WD, so now I am firmly in the seagate camp using 2TB, 4TB and most recently 5TB drives.....

I now store everything TWICE, in mixed fashion in case I get another failed drive....

I think you will fill the 1TB quite quickly....

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I store my files on my USB flash drives. Not saying it's the most effective backup method, but it's the most affordable!

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Per unit it’s certainly affordable but per GB the sweet spot per GB Is a 2tb slim seagate… on average about 5/6 times less per GB

tmihai20

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Be careful what USB stick you are using. They started making them to be replaced a lot sooner. I have some 4 GB USB sticks (USB 2.0) that are still working. USB HDDs are a different breed and depend on the manufacturer. Indeed the 2 TB Seagate Slims still provide some of the best bang for buck.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Be careful what USB stick you are using. They started making them to be replaced a lot sooner. I have some 4 GB USB sticks (USB 2.0) that are still working. USB HDDs are a different breed and depend on the manufacturer. Indeed the 2 TB Seagate Slims still provide some of the best bang for buck.
Agree on those SLIM SEAGATES...But a warning...I have just had 3 WD 4TB passports with the newer USB port fail in 6 months...all were replaced and refunded by Amazon, but they just fritz...it starts with CLICKING...you then have a few hours to pull the data off. The other tell-tale issue is that they refuse to copy or cut files or delete files...BE WARNED...

These are problematic in my experience

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Indeed! Most of my USB drives are Lexar for this reason, because they're usually more reliable than most, although I always have to convert fat32 to NTFS in order for the drive to take larger files.

Top Bottom