• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What Constitutes a Preservation?

Linten1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have several movies on Laser Disc of witch portions or all of the movie will most likely never been seen or heard again.

1) King Kong (1931) Criterion - Audio Commentary by King Kong historian Ronald Haver

2) This one is on DVD - Nevermind

3) Disney's Song of the South (1946) - Japanese Release

If I transferred these to DVD or some other video format is that considered a "Preservation?" Or is it just me wanting to view theses in another format.

Preservation = material (movies/shows/supplements) that are not available on home formats, or not available on DVD/BD.

King Kong - Yes, if you captured that Laserdisc and put it on DVD it would be a Preserv. Someone at OT.com isolated just the commentary, a while ago. Don't know if that's still available, I couldn't find it on MySpleen (private torrent site, a lot of preservs over there). I did a quick check at tehparadox, and yep it's uploaded there.

Song of the South - Yes, transferring that Laserdisc to DVD would be a Preserv. But it's been done, and you can find the Japanese laserdisc converted to DVD on MySpleen.

lol. Cheer up buddy, it'll come to you one day.

You could always preserve movies that were never released on DVD, i.e. only on VHS or laserdisc. ;)

I still have a pile of Lasers, but most have been released on DVD by now.
Many, I held onto because they contained something not on the DVD version.
Usually an audio commentary. I would bet 97% of viewers couldn't care less about commentaries.
Members of FE or other film forums probably do appreciate them, but they are a thin minority.

I love commentaries and would kill to have a lot of those unrelased Criterion commentaries on DVD. I only have Othello so far but really want King Kong and others

JJE-187 said:
I love commentaries and would kill to have a lot of those unrelased Criterion commentaries on DVD. I only have Othello so far but really want King Kong and others
I'm working on King Kong.

Is there any place here for "edits" that are available commercially in HD but in inferior quality, where the video has been replaced with that from a superior transfer on an alternate cut?

The example I have in mind is The NeverEnding Story, the shorter International Cut Blu-ray having an overly dark and grainy look and the longer German Cut having been relatively recently restored and in my opinion looking a lot better.

Barring the credits and a few shots, the entirety of the IC can be replaced with GC, would that count as something that can be listed? There are of course examples here of "missing" official cuts reconstructed in HD using DVD's as a minor source, but I'm not sure what would be the case if everything came from Blu-rays.

Back
Top Bottom