• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What bitrates do you usually use for which codec (AAC vs AC3 vs EAC3)?

korach1921

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently working with a PCM stereo that's mainly music and want to try converting it to a lossy codec, but I'm not sure what bitrate to use. I was thinking of 192 kb/s for AAC stereo and 256kb/s for AC3 (that might be too much?), but completely lost on EAC3 (if I should actually use it at all).

Any advice?

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I only use AC3.

For stereo - 192 kbps which is standard bitrate on official releases.
For 5.1 - usually 448 kbps which WAS standard bitrate on DVD.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I usually just go with the highest available bitrate on 5.1 which is 640 for premiere pro. I always use AAC or AC3 or EAC3 because not a single samsung TVs will play dolby or PCM unfortunately, and I do intend to watch them with audio myself lol. (something to maybe keep in mind, also)

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
when using a lossy codec, audio takes relatively little space compared to video. I read that the standard for mp3 was 256 so I go for the next one, it's over 300 but can't recall the exact number. Maybe I should go higher...

greenturnedblue

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Remember that when exporting 5.1, the total bitrate is split six ways (one for each channel). Personally I do not go lower than 640kbps, and even then that is just 100 kbps per stream.

For reference a blu ray can be 4+ mbps...

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I usually use 384 for stereo ac3. File is still pretty small so why not. Although like others have said 192 is still sufficient.

Top Bottom