• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What are your thoughts on fanedit ideas?

When somebody posts a fanedit idea, but has no plans on actually uploading the edit, what do you thi

• Just keep your useless ideas to yourself if you have no plans on actually doing it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • It's nice to hear people's purely hypothetical ideas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thoughts?

Sometimes I will refrain from posting an idea I have since it will usually go nowhere. Unless somebody does it, because I probably won't. But I can see how that could get annoying to some people.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
there's a difference between brainstorming and expecting people to do it for you.

i'm all for brainstorming.

but, of course, i'd like to be able to post around here ;)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, we have a few people here, who hesitate for whatever reasons to release their works. My opinion on that is that I think it is a pity, such treasures are lost. If something exists, I want to be able to watch it.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't plan on doing any fan edits in the near future, since I want concentrate on doing music and videos to that music. I don't want to start new projects until I have finished the last one: CD of music plus videos to the best songs.

However I posted a few ideas I had, and I was really glad when people actually made those ideas come true. So I think that throwing ideas in the air so that other people might catch them, is great, especially in a creative community like ours...

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sharing ideas is great, I agree. And the idea is what gets anything started.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Although some ideas make my eyes automatically roll towards heaven (Let's turn AEON FLUX into a tv show with bumpers and commercial breaks!)
Overall I find them exciting and original. Too often I wish I had thought of it.
I wonder how long of a time to wait until appropriating the idea. I have a feeling BATMAN BEGINS, THE SHADOW and STAR WARS: REBORN ain't coming. So how long do we wait?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think that people should post their ideas. Somethings are so obviously a great idea sometimes that we overlook them. However i t is somewhat obnoxious when someone completely lays out an idea and requests someone else to do it for them. This aint no production line...

and that is a good question kbm, how long do we wait on these great ideas, before appropriating them? Those 3 that you mentioned were all fantastic concepts, but I agree they will probably never see the light of day ....at least by their originators

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my answer: just as long as you are willing to wait.
We all know a world full of limits, copyrights and inventor rights. But with fanedits we enter a world where none of this exists in the way it does for the industry. An idea is posted, everyone can use it. The moment it is posted it becomes free property for everyone.
Why? Because no faneditor owns any rights on the movies he is working with.
Correct me if my point of view is unethical.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you do have a point boon. I think that we should give the faneditor some time though, just to show good taste and support of our fellow editors, but after no word for several weeks or months, it probably should be fair game

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
for me, kicking out ideas is perfectly fine (and a good inspiration as well) which is exactly how i came to do the J&SB edit. dhr001 (IIRC) originally was going to do it, in the end nothing came of it, i asked him if he would mind me doing it and the rest is history.

but like Throw said, blatently setting an edit plan out and then just asking for someone else to pick it up is a bit cheeky.

i think maybe the best way to not step on anyones toes is to flat out ask the editor if they are still planning on doing it. if you get a reply great if not, then after a week its fair game again.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
well...

i'm going to get all lame and say just do it.

it just doesn't make any sense for a faneditor to be attached to their idea of changing someone else's work. are we going to start asking the studios for permission?

and how often do other edits and ideas spur on more/better changes and improvements in later edits?

i say if you want to do it then do it. you should be nice about it - talk to the guy who originally had the idea. but there is no "dibs" really.

i say fanedit.org should embrace a bit more free market & capitalist ideas :)

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with Joe as well, if I would do a fanedit, then I would do it for my own viewing pleasure - so it will not matter what other people has done before, since the only version that will be perfect for me, will be my version.

There are a lot of SW versions out there, but I don't think it will stop would be editors from doing their own versions.

Anyways, I hate it when I have to stop and wait with creation - it stops the creative energies flowing, and then an important part of my life feels stuck.

So in my opinion, KBM, you should free your creative energies and make all three edits asap... :)

Top Bottom