• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What are your favorite bands/artists?

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I view technique as a broad definition as to how broadly one could make music. In other words, yes, speed is part of the technique equation because of you have speed in your pocket you have the ability to use it to create music. Too often guitar players especially equate Speed with technique. Not saying that’s what you’re doing. I’ve heard SRV fans (which I consider myself by the way) say SRV could play jazz because he covered Chitlins Con Carne. That’s a I-IV-V Blues. You rarely hear SRV play anything outside of that. To me, that’s a limited vocabulary, limited technique. Hendrix simply smokes him in that regard. It’s what makes him, as you admit, a better composer. There’s just way more going on in a typical Hendrix solo than SRV. I can’t think of a single SRV line I can hum. I can hum almost all of Little Wing, Bold As Love, Watchtower, Wind Cries Mary. That’s technique to me. Making music.

Couldn't stand the weather, life without you, Riviera paradise

Plus there's that his blues is just so GOOD. 

But I won't argue that he's far less diverse musically. However Life without you genuinely makes me want to cry.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don’t get me wrong, there are tons of musicians I love who have limited chops. Hell, neither Hendrix nor SRV would likely exist without Robert Johnson. Music is personal. But technique isn’t and I think it’s pretty objectively true that Hendrix had a much wider vocabulary.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooh, the first fight in this thread, this is going in the scrapbook <3
I can't weigh in whatsoever. Never heard a SRV song that I can recall. The only Jimi Hendrix is All Along the Watchtower, though that's a cover so I struggle to truly call it his own. Though, it's the version on the Watchmen soundtrack, so I've heard it more than the original. Regardless, it sounds nice enough, so I'll give him the point.
However, if the cat is right about SRV having more emotion in his music, I'd be more likely to listen to him as that's always a big factor for me. Can't say my side on who is better on a technical level though.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He's always been diverse, but his product that he puts out to the public for their consuming hasn't branched out as you say until the last 5 or so years.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I can't weigh in whatsoever. Never heard a SRV song that I can recall. The only Jimi Hendrix is All Along the Watchtower, though that's a cover so I struggle to truly call it his own. Though, it's the version on the Watchmen soundtrack, so I've heard it more than the original. Regardless, it sounds nice enough, so I'll give him the point.
However, if the cat is right about SRV having more emotion in his music, I'd be more likely to listen to him as that's always a big factor for me. Can't say my side on who is better on a technical level though.

Arguing about who has more emotion between the two is silly though they honestly both have a ton.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Arguing about who has more emotion between the two is silly though they honestly both have a ton.

Yup. Music appreciation is, and should be, subjective. Technique and vocabulary, however, are not. Alllan Holdsworth had a much broader vocabulary and better technique than most. But I find it hard to listen to because it doesn’t impact me emotionally.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
The whole Norwegian standard of tremolo riffs over endless blastbeats never really clicked for me. The early Hellenic scene is my was entry point - Rotting Christ, Varathron and Necromantia. From there is was Master's Hammer, Countess, Samael, Mortuary Drape, Burzum, Root and a ton of others. Like you say, if I had never ventured beyond the Darkthrone/Mayhem/Emperor style I would have bailed on the genre without giving it another thought. Perverted Ceremony, Evilfeast, Havukruunu, Yellow Eyes, Malokarpatan, Summoning and Cultes des Ghoules all had some amazing albums in the last couple of years and I never would have considered them if not for the intro to Hellenic scene.

You should check out Mgla and Kriegsmachine. They'd be right up your alley, I think. Yellow Eyes is awesome. Also, if you don't dig on Emperor, you'd probably like Ihsahn's solo stuff (he was Emperor's frontman, if you didn't know). He goes way more experimental with it, adds Pink Floyd style ambiance and chord progressions, a jazz saxophone, 80's synthwave influence, it's all over the place but man is it incredible. Not a bad album in his solo discography at all.

Possessed said:
Hey if somebody wants to talk about how perfectly amazing amd majestic stevie ray vaughan was for a while, I'm totally down. 

Sure his music wasn't very original or groundbreaking, most of his songs were covers anyway. But he just performed everything so amazingly well and with such passion and emotion you didn't care. He was amazing. Amd he was a great singer and most every cover he did outclasses the original, even (especially?) hendrix voodoo child. As awesome as it was stevie just blew it out of the park 

SRV's music may not seem groundbreaking now, but he got boo'd offstage at his first performance at the Montreaux Blues Festival. It got him enough studio time to cut Texas Flood, but the crowd hated him. He lit a fire under older blues musicians like Buddy Guy to reenergize their sound and adapt, and as a result, the blues scene in the late 80's early 90's had the biggest boom it had seen in decades. Vaughan didn't really do anything original, per se, as Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, and a ton of other greats had toyed around with the ideas SRV used, but he knew how to put all the pieces together into something great. One of a kind in so many ways.

Moe_Syzlak said:
To me there is no contest. SRV does a decent tribute to the Hendrix Voodoo Chile while not really adding anything new or coming close to reaching the emotional impact of the original. And don’t get me started on Vaughn’s Little Wing.  :p

Riviera Paradise >>>>> Little Wing.

Adabisi said:
But far and away, my favourite blues artist is Blind Willie Johnson. He had a voice like no one else. He was doing the whole harsh/clean juxtaposition 70 years before Mikael Akerfeldt.

How in the hell  have I missed this all my life!? I'm a real big fan of Robert Johnson and Albert King, but this is some next level innovation. Damn, this is good. Thanks for posting it!

Possessed said:
Couldn't stand the weather, life without you, Riviera paradise

Plus there's that his blues is just so GOOD. 

But I won't argue that he's far less diverse musically. However Life without you genuinely makes me want to cry.

I remember reading a story in the SRV issue of Guitar Legends (a spinoff magazine from Guitar World) where the recording engineer told a story about recording Riviera Paradise. I'll see if I can find it and post it, it was a good read.

As far as non-metal stuff, because I have a really terrible habit of babbling about metal for hours on end, I'm a real big fan of the 70's Motown scene. My wife inherited a ton of old records when her mom passed, and she took them when we got married and moved in together. Tons of good stuff in there. Diana Ross, Jackson 5, Issac Hayes, tons of good stuff. I'm a big fan of jazz and bebop, as well. John Coltrane was an idol of mine when I played sax in high school.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Max Richter is one of my favorites to listen to. His work speaks to me powerfully on an emotional level. Here's my favorite part from his reworking of Vivaldi's Four Seasons:
Here's a beautiful piece from Black Mirror season 3:
Here's one that is so amazing they just keep using it in movies (best used in Arrival IMO):

Black Thought has been amazing for so long, but is finally starting to branch out away from the Roots (with whom he's always been great). He just put out his first solo album and it's fantastic. But not very many things will ever top this, for me:

Royce Da 5'9" has always been a favorite of mine due his lyrical dexterity. That being said, it's often been amazing structure and talent rapping about the same dumb shit, albeit in very entertaining and clever ways. As he's gotten older he has gotten much better at storytelling and opening up. This track off his latest is the rawest and most vulnerable I've ever heard him, and it's outstanding:

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Favourite Band

Radiohead (by a country mile)

Prefab Sprout
The Blue Nile
Ben Folds Five
Depeche Mode
A-ha
The Strokes
Goldfrapp
Daft Punk
Air
Coldplay 
Bee Gees
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
(well I am pushing towards 50)

Just discovered King Crimson too, as for new stuff Churches ain't half bad but I've, hit that middle aged groove where I just complain about it being a tuneless row:p

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
Adabisi said:
The whole Norwegian standard of tremolo riffs over endless blastbeats never really clicked for me. The early Hellenic scene is my was entry point - Rotting Christ, Varathron and Necromantia. From there is was Master's Hammer, Countess, Samael, Mortuary Drape, Burzum, Root and a ton of others. Like you say, if I had never ventured beyond the Darkthrone/Mayhem/Emperor style I would have bailed on the genre without giving it another thought. Perverted Ceremony, Evilfeast, Havukruunu, Yellow Eyes, Malokarpatan, Summoning and Cultes des Ghoules all had some amazing albums in the last couple of years and I never would have considered them if not for the intro to Hellenic scene.

You should check out Mgla and Kriegsmachine. They'd be right up your alley, I think. Yellow Eyes is awesome. Also, if you don't dig on Emperor, you'd probably like Ihsahn's solo stuff (he was Emperor's frontman, if you didn't know). He goes way more experimental with it, adds Pink Floyd style ambiance and chord progressions, a jazz saxophone, 80's synthwave influence, it's all over the place but man is it incredible. Not a bad album in his solo discography at all.

I like Mgla. Uada is good too, in the same vein. I've heard of Kriegsmachine, but never listened to them. I'll check them out. And I should like Ihsahn because he has all the right elements, but I never really clicked with his stuff. I think it's the production - way too clean. I'll take clean production with Blind Guardian, but for me it doesn't work with Ihsahn, if that makes any sense.

Crimson713 said:
Adabisi said:
But far and away, my favourite blues artist is Blind Willie Johnson. He had a voice like no one else. He was doing the whole harsh/clean juxtaposition 70 years before Mikael Akerfeldt.

How in the hell  have I missed this all my life!? I'm a real big fan of Robert Johnson and Albert King, but this is some next level innovation. Damn, this is good. Thanks for posting it!

He's incredible. Get The Complete Blind Willie Johnson. I've never heard any pre-war blues (or even post for that matter) like it.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
I like Mgla. Uada is good too, in the same vein. I've heard of Kriegsmachine, but never listened to them. I'll check them out. And I should like Ihsahn because he has all the right elements, but I never really clicked with his stuff. I think it's the production - way too clean. I'll take clean production with Blind Guardian, but for me it doesn't work with Ihsahn, if that makes any sense.

Kriegsmachine is very similar to Mgla and Uada. I get what you're saying with Ihsahn, but his newer work actually benefits from the clean production. Amr and Das Selebrechen are masterpieces, and I think without the clarity on those two you'd miss some of the instrumentation. There's just so much he manages to mix into a single song that I don't think he'd be able to have the raw/dirty production that Emperor did. But you're right, it's personal preference. No worries.

Adabisi said:
He's incredible. Get The Complete Blind Willie Johnson. I've never heard any pre-war blues (or even post for that matter) like it.

Thanks so much! Definitely going to have to pick that up on payday.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am now a big fan of The Vaselines.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Amd he was a great singer and most every cover he did outclasses the original, even (especially?) hendrix voodoo child. As awesome as it was stevie just blew it out of the park  

Absolutely not.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On second thought hendrixs studio version of it  is better than srvs studio, but live stevie was in my opinion better than anything. 

But as much fun as this debate was the first time I'm bowing out.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Possessed said:
Amd he was a great singer and most every cover he did outclasses the original, even (especially?) hendrix voodoo child. As awesome as it was stevie just blew it out of the park  

Absolutely not.

I'll agree with this statement, but there's no denying SRV's Little Wing is better than Jimi's.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's hard to really argue the two because they both have different feels. Jimis is like a mystical far out thing with a hard rock edge, while Stevies is more of a hard rock thing (live anyway) with a far out mystical edge. Which one is better just goes to your personal musical preference.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'mma let y'all finish, but Derek & The Dominos did the best Little Wing of ALL TIME.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
But honestly, I hardly ever listen to AC/DC or Black Sabbath any more. Because I don't have to. I know every riff, every solo, every lyric, every bass line  and every drum hit. If I ever want to hear Paranoid or Let There Be Rock, I just close my eyes and there it is.

i was thinking of my own personal old standby bands list and realized i don't listen to them much anymore.
and you nailed it; that is why.  i never really realized it until i read that.

but anyway, these are the bands that was never not included in a mix tape; never left my disc changer; was always present on any mp3 player i had.

Green Day
Garbage
Godsmack
Metallica 
Offspring

Top Bottom