• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What are your favorite bands/artists?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Limp Bizkit is the worst band ever...

Well, I'd say Fred Durst's lyrics and he and Borland's personas were bad, but Wes Borland had a pretty amazing guitar tone, imho.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
jrWHAG42 said:
Limp Bizkit is the worst band ever...

Well, I'd say Fred Durst's lyrics and he and Borland's personas were bad, but Wes Borland had a pretty amazing guitar tone, imho.

I don't know who Wes Borland is, because Fred Durst takes the spotlight from what I can tell. I don't listen to enough Limp Bizkit to determine if the guitar is good, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. 
All I can say is, 
Fred Durst needs to rehearse, needs reverse what he's saying.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On the subject of transitioning out of a tendency of liking nu metal, I recommend the album Layers of Lies by Darkane. Musically it's basically modern thrash/death metal but it's produced like nu metal and the vocals are recorded and have a nu metal tone but don't rap. Musically it's not much like nu metal but the way it's produced might trick your mind into being comfortable with it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The distortion sounds like most any other distorted metal, but his clean tones had a nice sound to them.
I also liked the sound of Boiler. They're too vulgar though.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
That's how I got into black metal. I was really into thrash, so I was into Venom and Celtic Frost, and a buddy of mine introduced me to Emperor, who do the speed and aggression a whole lot like Venom, and I got deeper into the genre from there. If I'd jumped straight from thrash to something like VVilderness or Cor Serpentii, I would have bailed on the genre without giving it another thought. Now, those are some of my favourite albums of the last 5 years it or so.

The whole Norwegian standard of tremolo riffs over endless blastbeats never really clicked for me. The early Hellenic scene is my was entry point - Rotting Christ, Varathron and Necromantia. From there is was Master's Hammer, Countess, Samael, Mortuary Drape, Burzum, Root and a ton of others. Like you say, if I had never ventured beyond the Darkthrone/Mayhem/Emperor style I would have bailed on the genre without giving it another thought. Perverted Ceremony, Evilfeast, Havukruunu, Yellow Eyes, Malokarpatan, Summoning and Cultes des Ghoules all had some amazing albums in the last couple of years and I never would have considered them if not for the intro to Hellenic scene.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Opposite for me. Early Mayhem and Emperor is where it's at for me. I love that truly dark and sinister sound from mayhem and the beauty of emperor. I like maybe 3 burzum songs. Behexen is okay too they are really melodic. Marduk, Svartsyn, Sargeist are some other black metal acts I like but I'm not super into it anymore. Black Metal for me is addicting and consuming and it isn't good for me lol.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Feels like this has turned into a metal thread. I’m not big into metal. A lot of the heavier stuff I like I’m not sure real metal fans would even call metal. I like the aforementioned Tool (along with A Perfect Circle), some Slayer, and then bands like Alice In Chains, Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails, etc. I was in high school and college in the 80s and the whole hair metal thing really turned me off so it’s a genre I’ve probably explored less than I should’ve.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Feels like this has turned into a metal thread.

I need a rubber band, but all I can find in here are metal bands.  :rolleyes:

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey if somebody wants to talk about how perfectly amazing amd majestic stevie ray vaughan was for a while, I'm totally down. 

Sure his music wasn't very original or groundbreaking, most of his songs were covers anyway. But he just performed everything so amazingly well and with such passion and emotion you didn't care. He was amazing. Amd he was a great singer and most every cover he did outclasses the original, even (especially?) hendrix voodoo child. As awesome as it was stevie just blew it out of the park  

Or perhaps straight ahead blues is more your thing 

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, feel free to discuss things other than Metal.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me there is no contest. SRV does a decent tribute to the Hendrix Voodoo Chile while not really adding anything new or coming close to reaching the emotional impact of the original. And don’t get me started on Vaughn’s Little Wing.  :p

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Hey if somebody wants to talk about how perfectly amazing amd majestic stevie ray vaughan was for a while, I'm totally down. 

Sure his music wasn't very original or groundbreaking, most of his songs were covers anyway. But he just performed everything so amazingly well and with such passion and emotion you didn't care. He was amazing. Amd he was a great singer and most every cover he did outclasses the original, even (especially?) hendrix voodoo child. As awesome as it was stevie just blew it out of the park  

I'm not a big blues fan, but I really like SRV, especially his live stuff. Live at the El Mocambo and Live at Carnegie Hall are blistering sets.

But far and away, my favourite blues artist is Blind Willie Johnson. He had a voice like no one else. He was doing the whole harsh/clean juxtaposition 70 years before Mikael Akerfeldt.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
And don’t get me started on Vaughn’s Little Wing.  :p

I agree, it is so fantastic that it's hard to stop talking about it. 

I find his little wing and voodoo chile superior to the originals in every possible way.

He was 5 times the guitar player and 10 times the singer hendrix was. Granted technical skill isn't everything, but his playing also oozed raw emotion to the point of being harrowing.  

Hendrix was a better song writer though, no doubt about that.  I don't like stevie for being an innovator, he wasn't. But I do like him for doing everything so fucking incredibly well.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
He was 5 times the guitar player and 10 times the singer hendrix was. Granted technical skill isn't everything, but his playing also oozed raw emotion to the point of being harrowing.  
Do you play music, or even specifically guitar. I’m guessing not with a statement like that.  :p

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uhm, yeah, actually, I do. Thanks for asking. 

If you think believing stevie ray vaughan was a good musician means I must not know anything about music you're way off base. And I admit hendrix was a better songwriter. And a very good and innovative guitar player. He was a tad sloppy at times but he was very good nonetheless. But Even if you like the tone of hendrixs version of little wing better, I don't see how you could argue that stevies isn't well done, or how you could reasonably argue that stevie wasn't an exceptionally talented player in general. If you like hendrix better fine, but claiming stevie wasn't very talented is just ignorant. Watch the Texas flood clip and then tell me he wasn't loaded with talent.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Possessed said:
Uhm, yeah, actually, I do. Thanks for asking. 

If you think believing stevie ray vaughan was a good musician means I must not know anything about music you're way off base. And I admit hendrix was a better songwriter. Even if you like the tone of hendrixs version of little wing better, I don't see how you could argue that stevies isn't well done, or how you could reasonably argue that stevie wasn't an exceptionally talented player in general. If you like hendrix better fine, but claiming stevie wasn't very talented is just ignorant. Watch the Texas flood clip and then tell me he wasn't loaded with talent.

I didn’t say SRV isn’t talented, but you said he is technically better than Hendrix. I find that really hard to swallow. He may have had better right hand rhythm technique, but I still feel Hendrix was a far superior rhythm player. If you want to talk strict Texas Blues, SRV holds an edge. But in the ability to play over changes more complex than a I-IV-V, Hendrix blows Vaughan out of the water.  These are objective measures. I also like Hendrix’s music much more and feel he has one note in Machine Gun that conveys more emotion than exists in the entirety of SRV’s catalog. The most memorable and hummable lines from SRV’s Voodoo Chile or Little Wing are direct quotes from Hendrix.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes as I said hendrix was a much better songwriter. But yes, I do believe stevie is technically a better player if you're measuring performance alone. But stevie wasn't trying to innovate, he just wanted to play. And as far as just playing goes, yes I would say he is better. Feeling and emotion is impossible to measure so there's no point in arguing about that aspect, I'll just say that to me stevies has more to me, but that's not to say hendrix didn't still have more than most other guitar players. And he was probably a more rounded musician when it comes to musical knowledge. But I feel stevie is a better preformer, and a better singer. And some of his rhythm playing was fantastic. But When you're as good as both of them are, arguing about which is better is probably pointless as they are both better than either of us will ever be.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I view technique as a broad definition as to how broadly one could make music. In other words, yes, speed is part of the technique equation because of you have speed in your pocket you have the ability to use it to create music. Too often guitar players especially equate Speed with technique. Not saying that’s what you’re doing. I’ve heard SRV fans (which I consider myself by the way) say SRV could play jazz because he covered Chitlins Con Carne. That’s a I-IV-V Blues. You rarely hear SRV play anything outside of that. To me, that’s a limited vocabulary, limited technique. Hendrix simply smokes him in that regard. It’s what makes him, as you admit, a better composer. There’s just way more going on in a typical Hendrix solo than SRV. I can’t think of a single SRV line I can hum. I can hum almost all of Little Wing, Bold As Love, Watchtower, Wind Cries Mary. That’s technique to me. Making music.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
John Mayer is a pretty amazing guitar player and song crafter.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
John Mayer is a pretty amazing guitar player and song crafter.

I’d say he’s really upped his game since he discovered the Grateful Dead. He was pretty limited in his approach before that. He’s really expanded his vocabulary immensely over the past few years.

Top Bottom