• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What are your favorite bands/artists?

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You ever have that "a-ha" moment when you were young as you were starting to find your own musical tastes when everything just clicked into place and you realized, "This. This is it. This is my shit."? For me, that was one day in the early '90s when I saw this video on TV:

Looking back, it's just a live clip of a song that had been around for over 10 years at that point. But I was blown away. It was like nothing I'd ever heard. But that was it. AC/DC was my shit.

Then, not much later, I was watching Beavis and Butthead and this clip came on. It was my second "a-ha" moment.

Black Sabbath was also my shit.

Almost 30 years later, those are still my favourite bands, with Iron Maiden coming in a close 3rd. But honestly, I hardly ever listen to AC/DC or Black Sabbath any more. Because I don't have to. I know every riff, every solo, every lyric, every bass line  and every drum hit. If I ever want to hear Paranoid or Let There Be Rock, I just close my eyes and there it is.

But what I do listen to is metal. Lots of it. I'd say 90% of what I listen to is metal and its various subgenres, 9% is classic and prog rock and 1% is early '90s gangsta rap because how the fuck can you not love Tupac?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd say that Metal is my favorite genre. I've mainly gotten into 90s/200s Nu Metal, though I need to listen to more traditional Metal. Why am I capitalizing Metal?
Anyways, I'd love some music suggestions.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I'd say that Metal is my favorite genre. I've mainly gotten into 90s/200s Nu Metal, though I need to listen to more traditional Metal. Why am I capitalizing Metal?

Nu metal is many people's gateway into the genre. If you dig deeper, I think (hope) you'll move past it. Having said that, if you want some trad metal suggestions, you might as well start at the beginning and go from there.

1970s
  • Black Sabbath - first 6 albums
  • Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin and Stained Class
  • Deep Purple - In Rock and Machine Head
  • Motorhead - Overkill and Bomber
  • Scorpions - Taken by Force, In Trance and Virgin Killer
  • UFO - Phenomenon and Lights Out
  • Rainbow - Rising and Long Live Rock n' Roll
1980s
  • Iron Maiden - first 7 albums
  • Angel Witch - Angel Witch
  • Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
  • Black Sabbath (again) - Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules
  • Accept - Restless and Wild and Balls to the Wall
  • Satan - Court in the Act
  • Mercyful Fate - first 2 albums
  • King Diamond - first 4 albums
That should give you a good foundation. In the 80s, you start to see the splinters off into the various subgenres, the main ones being thrash, doom, power, black and death metal. Thrash and power are the most accessible and the next logical step from trad.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Nu metal is many people's gateway into the genre. If you dig deeper, I think (hope) you'll move past it. Having said that, if you want some trad metal suggestions, you might as well start at the beginning and go from there.

1970s
  • Black Sabbath - first 6 albums
  • Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin and Stained Class
  • Deep Purple - In Rock and Machine Head
  • Motorhead - Overkill and Bomber
  • Scorpions - Taken by Force, In Trance and Virgin Killer
  • UFO - Phenomenon and Lights Out
  • Rainbow - Rising and Long Live Rock n' Roll
1980s
  • Iron Maiden - first 7 albums
  • Angel Witch - Angel Witch
  • Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
  • Black Sabbath (again) - Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules
  • Accept - Restless and Wild and Balls to the Wall
  • Satan - Court in the Act
  • Mercyful Fate - first 2 albums
  • King Diamond - first 4 albums
That should give you a good foundation. In the 80s, you start to see the splinters off into the various subgenres, the main ones being thrash, doom, power, black and death metal. Thrash and power are the most accessible and the next logical step from trad.

Awesome! I'll make a playlist with all of these right now, and I'll start listening to it when I get the chance.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't care for most metal, but when I was in college there was a guy who sucked us all into Them by King Diamond.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, as far as growing out of nu metal, I'm mostly out of it after a year or so. I still listen to the occasional Disturbed, Slipknot, or Korn song. 
First I went through a week where I listened to nothing but Slipknot, but after a week I realized that I like a few songs from their first 3 albums, but mostly I don't like them. 
Then the same thing happened with Korn. 
Then I listened to Disturbed nonstop, until just recently when I realized...I just can't. They have a handful off good songs, and the rest just all sounds the same and dull. But they're still important to me. 
System of a Down I started listening to before the other 3, and I legitimately love them and don't think I'll grow out of it. I've also recently started to listen to Serj Tankian's solo stuff, which is all amazing, some of it even better than anything by SOAD. 
I have come back to listen to Disturbed's new album, and it's actually really good, so maybe I'm not growing out of it.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Also, as far as growing out of nu metal, I'm mostly out of it after a year or so. I still listen to the occasional Disturbed, Slipknot, or Korn song. 
First I went through a week where I listened to nothing but Slipknot, but after a week I realized that I like a few songs from their first 3 albums, but mostly I don't like them. 
Then I listened to Disturbed nonstop, until just recently when I realized...I just can't. They have a handful off good songs, and the rest just all sounds the same and dull. But they're still important to me. 
System of a Down I started listening to before the other 3, and I legitimately love them and don't think I'll grow out of it. I've also recently started to listen to Serj Tankian's solo stuff, which is all amazing, some of it even better than anything by SOAD. 
I have come back to listen to Disturbed's new album, and it's actually really good, so maybe I'm not growing out of it.

If you legitimately like nu metal, it would be worth digging into groove metal which was the precursor to nu metal. Can't say I'm a fan of the genre myself, but Exhorder is a good start. They were one of the pioneers of the genre that led to Lamb of God, '90s era Pantera, Chaos A.D./Roots-era Sepultura, Devildriver, White Zombie and Machine Head. Even Slayer waded into these waters on their universally despised Diabolus in Musica album.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not a Tool fan, myself, but I can't deny their talent, and if you're into Nu Metal, you'll love Tool. It's basically what all (semi sarcastic exaggeration for comedic emphasis) Nu Metal is trying and failing to replicate.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
jrWHAG42 said:

If you legitimately like nu metal, it would be worth digging into groove metal which was the precursor to nu metal. Can't say I'm a fan of the genre myself, but Exhorder is a good start. They were one of the pioneers of the genre that led to Lamb of God, '90s era Pantera, Chaos A.D./Roots-era Sepultura, Devildriver, White Zombie and Machine Head. Even Slayer waded into these waters on their universally despised Diabolus in Musica album.

I like nu metal, but that's not to say I dislike other metal. I've liked all of the older metal songs I've heard, I just don't listen to them enough. And my favorite Nu Metal songs are on the heavier side. Though in general I prefer my music to be fas which doesn't apply to all metal.
Really in the end it depends on the specific song rather than genre. I will check out all your initial suggestions, and afterwards I might look into Groove metal. Which, you mention White Zombie, isn't that Rob Zombie's band? Does it sound at all like his solo stuff? Because I quite enjoy him. I never even pieced together that his music is metal.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I'm not a Tool fan, myself, but I can't deny their talent, and if you're into Nu Metal, you'll love Tool. It's basically what all (semi sarcastic exaggeration for comedic emphasis) Nu Metal is trying and failing to replicate.

Ah, interesting! I may check them out.
Alzo, I say nu metal, but I'm not sure how much of it classifies as such. I've seen Disturbed classify as hard rock, SOAD progressive metal, etc.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:

I actually liked Diabolus in Musica.

Also, of those bands you listed, Pantera and White Zombie are going to hb the easiest of those to get into due to their popularity and radio exposure. Most people have heard "Thunderkiss '65" or "Walk," but not everybody's heard their deeper cuts like "Soul-Crusher" or "By Demons be Driven," so new listeners have something familiar while digging deeper into their catalogue. When they find stuff they like, they can branch into bands that do more of whatever that element they like is.

That's how I got into black metal. I was really into thrash, so I was into Venom and Celtic Frost, and a buddy of mine introduced me to Emperor, who do the speed and aggression a whole lot like Venom, and I got deeper into the genre from there. If I'd jumped straight from thrash to something like VVilderness or Cor Serpentii, I would have bailed on the genre without giving it another thought. Now, those are some of my favourite albums of the last 5 years it or so.

EDIT: forgot to respond to this post too:

jrWHAG42 said:
Really in the end it depends on the specific song rather than genre. I will check out all your initial suggestions, and afterwards I might look into Groove metal. Which, you mention White Zombie, isn't that Rob Zombie's band? Does it sound at all like his solo stuff? Because I quite enjoy him. I never even pieced together that his music is metal.

White Zombie is really only metal because of their album La Sexorcito. Their second major label release, Astro Creep: 2000 was equal parts La Sexorcito and  the sound that Zombie had on his first solo album, and personally I think it's their best. Not a bad song on that album, it's lightning in a bottle Zombie's solo stuff has never really been metal, it's always been metal-tinged rock. White Zombie was his previous band that he left to go solo. You be probably heard Thunderkiss '65, Black Sunshine, or More Human than Human.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:

I would seriously disagree with this. Other than the fact that they both exploded in popularity in the late '90s/early '00s, Tool's music has nothing in common with the nu metal scene. That being said, you're right that nu metal fans would probably dig Tool as well, but only because Tool is a really accessible heavy band, not because they sound alike.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
White Zombie is really only metal because of their album La Sexorcito. Their second major label release, Astro Creep: 2000 was equal parts La Sexorcito and  the sound that Zombie had on his first solo album, and personally I think it's their best. Not a bad song on that album, it's lightning in a bottle Zombie's solo stuff has never really been metal, it's always been metal-tinged rock. White Zombie was his previous band that he left to go solo. You be probably heard Thunderkiss '65, Black Sunshine, or More Human than Human.

Thank you very much for your clarification. Gosh, so many styles of music, so many subgenres... 
So White Zombie is 3/4 metal, is what I'm gathering. Then Rob Zombie on his own is rock with metal elements. So it makes sense that I never regarded him as metal. Okay. 
Maybe metal tinged rock is more my thing.

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Thank you very much for your clarification. Gosh, so many styles of music, so many subgenres... 
So White Zombie is 3/4 metal, is what I'm gathering. Then Rob Zombie on his own is rock with metal elements. So it makes sense that I never regarded him as metal. Okay. 

Metal is super complex, man. If you dig Zombie's stuff, you'll probably like WZ as well. If you like that, you'll probably like Pantera, too. If you like Pantera, you'll probably like Lamb of God. If you like them, you might like Slayer. If you like Slayer, you might like Venom or Celtic Frost. If you like Venom or Celtic Frost, you might like Death. If you like Death, you might like Morbid Angel. If you like Morbid Angel, you might like Gojira. If you like Gojira, you might like Opeth. If you like Opeth, you might like Ihsahn. If you like Ihsahn, you might like Emperor.

And that's how you get from metal tinged rock to black metal.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
addiesin said:

I would seriously disagree with this. Other than the fact that they both exploded in popularity in the late '90s/early '00s, Tool's music has nothing in common with the nu metal scene. That being said, you're right that nu metal fans would probably dig Tool as well, but only because Tool is a really accessible heavy band, not because they sound alike.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think we're quite on the same page, maybe I was generalizing too much. I play guitar and the effects used to get Tool's guitar sound are about the same you'd use to get a Nu Metal sound, in my head they're somewhat connected, like folk and country both using acoustics and banjos.

To clarify, I respect Tool a lot more than most, if not all, Nu Metal bands, and would not lump them in with that genre. However, I think when bands of that genre try to reach out and expand their horizons or find a "new" sound by experimenting with dissonance, different timings, tunings, melodic layers, etc, it all boils down to trying things Tool has already been doing better, longer. I can see that without even being a fan. 
My point is if you like things in Nu Metal like head banging segments, really heavy guitar distortion, technical drums, and introspective lyrics, Tool is all that and more and I imagine if it's your thing you'll know immediately.

Not 100% sure if Jr will be into it, they said they're into fast tempo stuff and Tool can be quite slow.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
TVs Frink said:

Oh man, I forgot all about Ratatat! BRB, booting up Spotify...

They're a recent interest of mine as well. They popped up on my Mutemath radio on Pandora.

Four others that I find myself liking
The Heavy
Alabama Shakes (Sound and Color)
Portugal. The man
The Revivalists

Here are mixes of the earlier bands I posted:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Adabisi said:
addiesin said:

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think we're quite on the same page, maybe I was generalizing too much. I play guitar and the effects used to get Tool's guitar sound are about the same you'd use to get a Nu Metal sound, in my head they're somewhat connected, like folk and country both using acoustics and banjos.

To clarify, I respect Tool a lot more than most, if not all, Nu Metal bands, and would not lump them in with that genre. However, I think when bands of that genre try to reach out and expand their horizons or find a "new" sound by experimenting with dissonance, different timings, tunings, melodic layers, etc, it all boils down to trying things Tool has already been doing better, longer. I can see that without even being a fan. 
My point is if you like things in Nu Metal like head banging segments, really heavy guitar distortion, technical drums, and introspective lyrics, Tool is all that and more and I imagine if it's your thing you'll know immediately.

Not 100% sure if Jr will be into it, they said they're into fast tempo stuff and Tool can be quite slow.

Please don't call me Jr.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crimson713 said:
jrWHAG42 said:

Metal is super complex, man. If you dig Zombie's stuff, you'll probably like WZ as well. If you like that, you'll probably like Pantera, too. If you like Pantera, you'll probably like Lamb of God. If you like them, you might like Slayer. If you like Slayer, you might like Venom or Celtic Frost. If you like Venom or Celtic Frost, you might like Death. If you like Death, you might like Morbid Angel. If you like Morbid Angel, you might like Gojira. If you like Gojira, you might like Opeth. If you like Opeth, you might like Ihsahn. If you like Ihsahn, you might like Emperor.

And that's how you get from metal tinged rock to black metal.

Going by name alone, I'm going to skip straight to Gojira. All the names sound awesome, but I like Godzilla, so yeah. And we all know the best bands have the best names (Limp Bizkit is the worst band ever for this reason).

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Going by name alone, I'm going to skip straight to Gojira. All the names sound awesome, but I like Godzilla, so yeah. And we all know the best bands have the best names (Limp Bizkit is the worst band ever for this reason).

Gojira are incredible. They are a straight up riff machine, it's awesome. And their albums are very sonically thick, so there's lots to digest. It's really good stuff. I'd recommend starting with either their album "Magma" or "From Mars to Sirius." Magma will be more accessible to you (fewer harsh vocals, more rock influence) whereas FMtS is going to be much heavier, but easily has some of their best songwriting. Happy listening! Also, if you start finding yourself enjoying a particular metal band, you could always hop over to Reddit and check out the sidebar of r/metal. There's a ton of primer lists there for various genres, starter bands for people new to metal, and a weekly recommendation thread. I've discovered tons of cool and obscure stuff through the rec thread.

EDIT: punctuation

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There was no lyrics for a whole minute, then my earbud fell out, and I put it in and finally they're talking. Very echoey, but I can get used to that. The actual rhythm reminds me very much of System of a Down, Mister Jack comes to mind. 
I'm just on the first track of Magma.

Top Bottom