• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

What are you listening to at the moment?

Some much needed therapeutic record spinning tonight. On the table now:

I tried listening to a bunch of different things yesterday.  Nothing really helped.

"helped" is a strong word. But between the music and some sleep, yesterday's despair has morphed into anger.

TVs Frink said:
This seems to be helping a bit today.

I've been listening to a lot of Richard Herring's comedy sketch podcast AIOTM (Now and always) and I noted that this episode (from two months ago)...

...has instructions on how to make an official AIOTM "Trumpkin" (At 03.45 and a follow up movie-trailer for "The Trumpkin" at 30.00). NSFW language ensues but when it's Trump, it's worth it :D . Oh and there is a comedy Trump song at 17.51 too (Set to MJ's Black or White).

TVs Frink said:
Adabisi said:

I guess one could listen to that noise if one chose to, but why would one do so?

Well, it's cathartic, humorous and some people actually like that kind of music. It's a goofy side project from Travis Ryan, lead singer screamer of  Cattle Decapitation, largely considered to be one of the top grindcore bands in the world.

That's music?

I mean, I get that some people like that kind of music, but each song is like five seconds long.

TVs Frink said:
but each song is like five seconds long.

Admittedly, the songs are overly long and a little self indulgent by grindcore standards.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I like some grindcore, but the insanely short songs are stupid.

No argument there. Of course, they're meant to be listened to in the context of a full album, not on their own.

But you could fit... a lot of songs on a 75min cd. I cant figure the math right now, but if the average song was 4 seconds and there's 60 seconds in a minute and 75 minutes on a cd? That's pretty prolific. Or you could play a 1 minute show with a ten second encore and then go get drunk. Never heard of grindcore, are all grindcore songs that short?

ETA: Didn't see adabisi's post right up ^ there, so I guess they are not all so short. so my new question, whats grindcore all about?

Rogue-theX said:
 so my new question, whats grindcore all about?

The easiest way to describe it is that it's a genre of extreme metal that is heavily influenced by punk and hardcore. Melody and technicality are pushed aside for sheer brutality.

This video sums it up the grindcore philosophy nicely. His microphone stops working about 30 second in.

Adabisi said:
Rogue-theX said:
 so my new question, whats grindcore all about?

The easiest way to describe it is that it's a genre of extreme metal that is heavily influenced by punk and hardcore. Melody and technicality are pushed aside for sheer brutality. 

Yeah, that's exactly how I would describe it. There are a ton of offshoots, but grindcore is basically a guttural, brutal mixture of math rock, hardcore, punk, and metal. Pig Destroyer is your best starting point.

Adabisi said:

This video sums it up the grindcore philosophy nicely. His microphone stops working about 30 second in.

Thanks for posting!

Sorta reminds me of the metal concert scene in ace ventura, could you say grindcore is an evolution of that type of metal?

Melody and technicality are pushed aside

to the underlined:
cdwu.gif

That was good! I couldn't listen to it everyday, but I respect it. And despite the mic failure I could hear him all the way to the moon, gunnery sergeant Hartman aint got shit on that guy, anthony daniels he is not!, and the band has some chops!

Did the pig deserve it, or was it an innocent bystander?

Rogue-theX said:
Sorta reminds me of the metal concert scene in ace ventura, could you say grindcore is an evolution of that type of metal?

You could say that. The band in that scene was Cannibal Corpse, a death metal band. Grindcore takes the heaviness of death metal and mixes it with the abrasiveness of hardcore.

I sure wish I hadn't opened my mouth...or my ears.

Back
Top Bottom