• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Weird audio and video glitches present in final MPEG but not in timeline

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0. I'm currently working on my Gundam Wing fan edit. I finished a first cut and encoded an MPEG.

In two spots, there's this weird audio glitch (it sounds kind of like a record skip). Both shots involve fade transitions. The thing is these are not present when I play the project in the timeline, just in the final encoded MPEG. Actually, the first of the two WAS present in the project timeline, but I muted a selection of video, and that had taken care of it - but only in the timeline, not in the final MPEG.

The other problem is, near the end, there's this one image from a certain shot that shows up elsewhere for just a frame, noticibly ruining a dramatic moment. Again, this is present in only the final MPEG; the errant frame isn't in that spot in the timeline.

Aye, this happens sometimes with Womble, alas.

Re: the audio: try exporting just the sound clip from which the error comes, then replacing the original sound bit with that. This is a pain, but it usually works. Also, IME, exporting to stereo sound rather than 5.1 avoids these hiccups, albeit at the cost of surround sound.

As for the errant frame... are you positive it isn't in the timeline? Go back and forth over the frames in question, very slowly, one frame at a time using the arrow keys. If the problem persists, try taking a frame off the end of one or both clips in question.

The downside to Womble's relatively cheap price and exceedingly mild disk space requirements is mojo-killing glitches just like these. Hang in there, hombre. :)

Sometimes even if you can't see it in the frame by frame, the frame is indeed there. Try trimming a frame from each othe clips where they meet and then putting them together. Make sure you don't go out of sync. That should solve it.

Gaith said:
Re: the audio: try exporting just the sound clip from which the error comes, then replacing the original sound bit with that. This is a pain, but it usually works. Also, IME, exporting to stereo sound rather than 5.1 avoids these hiccups, albeit at the cost of surround sound.

I'm exporting to Dolby AC-3 Stereo, which is the same as the source.

Gaith said:
As for the errant frame... are you positive it isn't in the timeline?

I'm positive.

Gaith said:
Go back and forth over the frames in question, very slowly, one frame at a time using the arrow keys. If the problem persists, try taking a frame off the end of one or both clips in question.

Here's the thing. I went back and checked the original source. It turns out the errant frame comes from a shot that I'd removed.

In Womble, whenever I make a cut, the frame that I was on becomes the first frame in the second clip, so I've made it a habit to go to the last frame of any given shot that I want to keep and make the cut there, so I can be certain that none of the next shot makes it into the clip.

That's what I did here. There's a shot of Relena looking out the window of an airplane that I wanted to keep. The next shot is of a group of airplanes flying away (which I wanted to cut). I positioned the marker on the last frame of Relena and made the cut.

Now, because this fan edit centers on Relena, I've decided to take still images of Relena whenever I might have to cut a frame with her in it, and then I just insert the still image back in (I'm kinda obsessive that way :p). So I took a still image of the last frame of Relena looking out the window before I made the cut, and then I inserted the still image into the timeline.

Here's how it looked in the timeline:

next-to-last frame of Relena on the plane
still image of last frame of Relena on the plane
other footage that I inserted

Here's how it looked in the encoded MPEG:

next-to-last frame of Relena on the plane
first frame of the airplanes shot that I'd cut out
still image of last frame of Relena on the plane
other footage that I inserted

So I went in, took a still image of the next-to-last frame of Relena on the plane, cut out that frame, and inserted the still image. That resulted in the errant airplanes frame being removed, but then it kind of wobbles from the last frame of Relena to the next-to-last frame to the last frame again. I've decided "Meh. Good enough."

Back
Top Bottom