• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

We Are The Night Revamped by INH5

Now that's some cranking good video static.
And the eye work was superb, not settling for a red-eye camera flash, but achieving that glistening look.

Well, it's been a while, hasn't it? First off, I am not dead, and neither is this project. I've had a rough past couple of months IRL, but I've recently started to get back on track and, if things go well, the edit should be ready to release within a month. In the meantime, here's a trailer:

On the subject of audio tracks; I really tried, but I just could not find voice actors interested in helping me dub over the deleted scenes. I posted an audition on a pretty popular fandubbing forum, and not only did no one submit any auditions, but my Vimeo stats indicates that only one person ever bothered to even watch any of my voice sample videos.

Rest assured, the edit will still have an English audio track, but in the absence of any suitable alternatives I'm afraid I'm going to have to just use the original German audio for the deleted scene dialogue. So it will be a 98% English, 2% subtitled German audio track. Maybe in the future, I'll be able to go back and make a proper 100% English audio track, but for now I think it would be best to not let this one issue hold everything else back from being released.

I've also started working on the DVD cover art. Here's a rough draft of my current design:

05mRSdw.png

In other news, it has come to my attention that the original movie is no longer available on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. However, it can still be streamed on Youtube for $3 (at least if you're in the US, I don't know if the service works anywhere else) through IFC's VOD service here. I've updated the original post to reflect this.

Great news, INH5!
I've been following this a long time and am thrilled you have continued to persevere.

I understand about the English dub.
You might create a brief subtitle file (srt - aas - txt ...) for just that section of German audio.

Again, great news.

I may have spoken too soon about the English audio track. Since I made my last post, people have started sending in auditions. So I may be able to dub over the deleted scenes and such after all.

You did post a query on Facebook, didn't you?
No money, but fame awaits!
If the right studio honcho hears their voice, they could be offered voice work for some animated movie.

I know, I'm late. The primary reason is that I had a lot of trouble getting the ending green screen shot to look right, so I ended up having to manually paint in a lot of details frame by frame with a WACOM tablet. The final shot has 343 frames, and I did 4 passes on each frame, so obviously it took a while.

But now I'm almost finished with it. Barring unforeseen complications, this edit should be ready to submit to the academy within 1-2 weeks. And thanks to the gracious assistance of Caitlin Buckley, Logan Knotts, and Jordyn Percival, it will have both a German audio track and a 100% English audio track for people who don't like reading subtitles. You can listen to some of their work in this English trailer:

I'm planning to release my edit as an MKV (720p, and I'll be sure to make it small enough to fit on a single layer DVD), as well as on DVD-5, DVD-9, and BD-25 (720p, but with a higher bitrate than the MKV). All of the releases will have 5.1 German and English audio tracks, as well as a commentary track. Like I said, the MKV will be ready very soon, but I'll take a bit longer on the others, as I plan on including some fairly significant special features on the DVD-9 and BD-25 releases.

It's been a long trip, but I'm finally almost there.

wow, this project is clearly an intense labor of love.
i look forward to viewing this in german audio with english subs. (no sub fear here.)

now i need to get a legit copy of the movie so i can watch the fanedit.

The movie itself is quite enjoyable, though dubbing was less than stellar.

I have followed this from the beginning and every tweak, every enhancement, has been first rate.
INH5 has lovingly restored/reedited this into something special.
Definitely - definitely - watch this!

I can finally delete some of the preview versions.

While waiting for the Academy to take a look at my edit, I ran into some pretty serious technical difficulties. Today, my desktop computer (the one I use for fan edits and other high-performance stuff) locked up, and when I tried to restart it, I got an error message and it refused to boot up. I took it to Best Buy and they said that based on the error message, they think it's some kind of hard drive problem.

So, best case scenario is that I won't be able to use my desktop for a few days while Geek Squad takes a look at it. Worst case scenario, I may have lost all of the data on my desktop's hard drive.

Fortunately, I backed up all of my project files on a portable hard drive, so whatever happens I will still be able to finish and release the edit (and to the Academy: this will not pose any problems for your review process, as I already rendered and uploaded a preview copy). However, I did not back up the work files for the DVD menus or the cover art, so in the event that that data is lost I will need to start again from scratch on those and that may result in a delay of a few weeks for the DVD and Blu-Ray releases.

I'll keep the readers of this thread posted as this situation develops.

oops, forgot to include the quote.

But anyhow I'm answering about the choice of male pronouns used in the subtitles in the trailer.

I know it is confusing, they translated it verbatim (which is kinda lazy and sloppy), but they use the masculine form in the german version, too.
The german word "Mensch", which could be translated to person or human being, is masculin, but can be applied to men, women, boys or girls.
French is even worse, when it comes to that, most nouns are masculine, in german it is about 60/40.

And many words have different genders in different languages: in german, the sun is female and the moon male, in latin languages (french, spanish, italian, portugese) it is the other way arround.

Just change it to "her" instead of "him", it makes more sense in that context, should be an improvement.

flatscan78 said:
oops, forgot to include the quote.

But anyhow I'm answering about the choice of male pronouns used in the subtitles in the trailer.

I know it is confusing, they translated it verbatim (which is kinda lazy and sloppy), but they use the masculine form in the german version, too.
The german word "Mensch", which could be translated to person or human being, is masculin, but can be applied to men, women, boys or girls.
French is even worse, when it comes to that, most nouns are masculine, in german it is about 60/40.

And many words have different genders in different languages: in german, the sun is female and the moon male, in latin languages (french, spanish, italian, portugese) it is the other way arround.

Just change it to "her" instead of "him", it makes more sense in that context, should be an improvement.

Are you referring to the trailer I made and posted on Vimeo? If so, could you please specify what part of the trailer, specifically, you are referring to?

Or are you referring to Louise's monologue during the opening montage? If so, that isn't an issue for me because I removed that entirely in my edit. Still, it's interesting to know why that happened. A lot of the original English subtitles read like they were translated verbatim from the German Closed Captions without the translator even bothering to watch the movie.

Hi,
No, I was refering to Louise's opening monologue.

BTW, congrats, your Edit (and the trailer) looks amazing.

I'm glad that you found some voice actors (would've offered to help, but I'm no native speaker, got a terrible german accent).

Good Luck.

Flatscan78

An update on the hard drive situation: Two days ago, I got my computer back from Best Buy with a new hard drive, and I have reinstalled Premiere and After Effects and restored my project files from backup, so everything is good to go as far as finishing the edit is concerned.

Unfortunately, today I got a call from the data lab and the price they gave me for recovering data from my hard drive is way more than I can afford right now, and will be likely be able to afford any time soon. So I'm having them send back my hard drive and while I'll look around to see if a less expensive data recovery service is available anywhere else, it looks like everything that was on my old hard drive and not backed up is gone for the forseeable future.

Fortunately, before the crash I had pretty much finished the DVD menus and burned the results on a disc for testing purposes, so I should be able to recreate them pretty quickly. The cover art also should be pretty easy to make again. So this probably won't delay things too much, all things considered.

INH5, I feel your pain.
Major electrical storm stuck here last night.
Power out for five hours after a close lightning strike.
Even though my lap was on a surge suppressor, I cannot get it to boot.
Running on a Puppy CD now for Internet. I can "see" C drive, but cannot access any files.
"... bad magic number in super-block ..." don't like the sound of that.
Good luck.

What about hooking it up to a USB hard drive enclosure like the kind that Gigaware makes? I've been able to access some old hard drives using it, including a supposedly crashed one - at least long enough to see there were no important files on it.

Mark Moore said:
What about hooking it up to a USB hard drive enclosure like the kind that Gigaware makes? I've been able to access some old hard drives using it, including a supposedly crashed one - at least long enough to see there were no important files on it.

Best Buy said that they weren't able to read the hard drive at all when they plugged it into their machines, which indicates that it is some kind of hardware problem and in order to have any chance of getting my data back they would have to take the hard drive apart in a clean room, and that would cost $1400 (though they would refund most of that if turned out to be totally unrecoverable). I assume that if whatever they have can't read it, there's no way anything I can buy will do any better. There apparently was some kind of power surge during a thunderstorm the day before my drive crashed, so it's possible that something might have gotten damaged there.

I have heard that sticking a dead hard drive in a freezer can sometimes temporarily fix mechanical problems long enough to get data off of it, but I'd rather not take the chance of damaging it further. Looking online, I found some data recovery services that say they might be able to deal with something like this for half of what Best Buy would charge, but that's still a bit much for me right now. So I'm just going to hold onto it until my financial situation changes, then maybe I'll think about doing something about it.

I have heard about the freezer technique and still have an older drive but have never attempted it/

It's finally out.

Unfortunately, as of this writing, Fanedit.info hasn't been updated with my submission, so if you want the DLC links please PM me.

Back
Top Bottom