• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Ways to get a small file size with decent quality?

itisnti

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey!

I've been in the process of exporting a few edits. First, I export at the highest quality possible, and they look great. The issue is that they can be in excess of 20gb per file.

My go-to compression codec is h.264, but this can result in unappealing banding in the shadows and things like that. Does anyone know of any methods to compress a 2 hour edit into a file around 3gb while maintaining reasonable quality?

If you compress video you lose quality, no way around it. Having said that h.264 is right up there and my go to codec. I can compress a 2 hour movie in 1080p to a little over 3Gb. I suggest 2 pass, and quality over speed. Will take ages depending on your PC setup, but will provide best results.

Stick with h.264, increase your bitrate to as high as you think you can handle HDD space wise. I recommend 8Mbit if you can afford it, It's the standard for DVD video. The higher the Resolution the greater the artifacting is going to be when you compress it.

Personally, I think 3 gb is a little on the low side for a 1080p encode at two hours. What's wrong with a DVD5 target size? People still burn backups, and the risk of artifacts would be a lot smaller at approx. 4+ gb than at 3.

Back
Top Bottom