• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Wax - Freeware Video Editor

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone ever heard of this software? This is their webpage (it's old and it looks like it hasn't been updated in years).

The features seem like a nice option for those who can't afford Adobe After Effects.

Wax is a high performance and flexible video compositing and special effects software. The idea for Wax is to be very general purpose and flexible in video compositing and effects, so that you can compose your dream video sequence with ease everytime.

Wax can create 2D & 3D special effects and can work in two modes - as a standalone application which would appeal for home users/beginners, and as a "plug-in" to video editors/NLEs which would be more useful for professional editors. Currently Wax can work as a plug-in with Sony Vegas®, Pure Motion EditStudio and Adobe Premiere® and work for integrating with various other NLEs is in progress.

Some of the features:
  • Unlimited video and audio tracks with top-down compositing and many compositing modes (audio features are limited at this time).
  • 2D and 3D Plugins and transitions for creating effects. Full featured 3D compositing with 3d objects, lighting, shadows, texture generators, etc. Plugins include the following.
    • RotoMate - rotoscope/paint over video with fully keyframmable shapes and masks
    • Shatter - create explosive effects
    • ModelLoader - load 3d models from .3DS, .MD2 and .MS3d files
    • Particle Generator - generate various natural particle effects like fire, smoke, rain etc
    • Text 3D - create extruded/beveled 3D text, and much more...

I'm tempted to explore it for the compositing effects. But I've been browsing through reviews on cnet (which is a pretty reliable site IMO) and they seem to be mixed. Some say it is great as a free option. Others say it stops working after a while. And yet others say it f*cked up their computer, installed malware etc. So not sure whether to risk it.

I seem to remember trying some Wax transition plugins when I was making AOTR and they caused some issues, though nothing like malware or anything risky....IIRC they made the scenes I used them on drop in video quality.

TV's Frink said:
I seem to remember trying some Wax transition plugins when I was making AOTR and they caused some issues, though nothing like malware or anything risky....IIRC they made the scenes I used them on drop in video quality.

Ahh, I see. Good to know. Thanks Frink!

Back
Top Bottom