• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Waterworld - The Ulysses Cut Revised Edition

Zaaacharias

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since Arrow Video released their 2-Disk Special Edition Blu-Ray in the UK my version is pretty much obsolete and I'm not sharing it anymore.
They basically recreated my Ulysses Cut and included it as a bonus. Unfortunately they didn't recreate the audio and image tweaks I made but hey ... it's from a new 4K restauration and visually a big step upwards to my version which was from a DVD source.

(or google for: waterworld 1995 ulysses x264)

type of fanedt: Extended Cut

tagline: Beyond the horizon lies the secret to a new beginning.
original film name: Waterworld - Extended Edition
new film name : Waterworld - The Ulysses Cut - Revised Edition
film studio name : Universal
edit crew name : Zaaacharias
Date Original Film Was Released : 28 July 1995 (USA)
Date Edit Was Released : 14 May 2010
Original Runtime : 176 minutes
New Runtime : 177 minutes

15qzqx2.jpg

Cuts removed/added/extended :
- Reintegrated all the cut out violence, nudity and profanity.
- Softened the Extended Scenes to fit the look of the Theatrical Cut
- Did some color correction where needed
- Added a few foley effects that were missing
- Improved a few poor fx shots
- Fixed a continuity error
- Fixed the timing for the English, Spanish and French subtitles
- Added the German dub to the theatrical scenes and created subtitles for the extended scenes.
- Cédric improved the French subtitle translation

Full list of changes: http://dominiksteiner.info/temp/Extended_Cut_vs_Ulysses_Cut_RE.htm

Fanedit details :

Release 1: DVD-9 - Dual-Layer Video-DVD with Motion Menu

Video Standard: NTSC 720 x 480
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Framerate: 23,976 p
Codec: MainConcept MPEG Video
Bitrate: 5.6 MBit/s VBR, 2-Pass
Audio Standard: AC3, Dolby Digital 5.0
Audio Frequency: 48 kHz
Audio Bitrate: 384 kbps
Audio Languages: English, German
Subtitle Languages: English, Spanish, French, German
Cover:
- JPG: http://rapidshare.com/files/2212403730/WWTUCRE_DVD9_Cover.jpg

Release 2: H.264

Video Standard: NTSC 640x 342
Aspect Ratio: 1:1
Framerate: 23,976 p
Codec: MainConcept H.264
Bitrate: 1.2 MBit/s VBR, 2-Pass
Audio Standard: AC3, Dolby Digital 5.0
Audio Frequency: 48 kHz
Audio Bitrate: 384 kbps
Audio Languages: English, German
Subtitle Languages: English, Spanish, French, German
File Size: 2.44 GB

Intention for this fanedit: I was so pissed off when I found out that the Extended Edition which I believed to be the "Ultimate Edition" of Waterworld was a censored, softened edit for TV. Universal wasn't able to release a proper version on DVD so I thought I had to do it on my own.

Your way to achieve your intention: A "never give up attitude" and a lot of support from Cédric.

Hardware and software information:
Adobe Premiere CS4
Adobe After Effects CS4
Adobe Encore CS4
Adobe Photoshop CS4
Magic Bullet Looks
Subtitle Workshop
Submagic
TMPGEnc 4.0 Express
DVDShrink
MKVToolnix

Additional Comment: Enjoy this "Ultimate Edition" of Waterworld!

Time needed for the edition: Way too long!

Persons involved:
Zaaacharias
Cedricman

Last edited:

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent! I've been waiting for this for a while. I'll give the h.264 version a go soon and let you know. Thanks for the decent file size.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
throwing caution to the wind and grabbing the DL

Cedricman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for all the credits Zach, but I hardly did anything except for the french subs. ;)
I merely gave my 2 cents and it's you who did the big fat of the work. Kudos for this release, can't wait to see the final result! :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
is the h.264 version HD?

edit - duh :oops:
Video Standard: NTSC 640x 342

if not, no biggie - the DL will suffice.

Thanks for all the hard work, cant wait to watch this one in all its untamed glory!

Cedricman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys,

in addition to Zaacharias' own DVD sleeve here and here, here are a couple of artworks and concept arts by Drew Indiana Jones Struzan, in case someone is interrested in baking a custom cover art out of them. ;)
Sorry; I couldn't find any better resolution. Perhaps with black framing? :roll:

I can't wrap my mind around the fact that they didn't use them for the theatrical release. :-?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1920x1521. processed with pz3

oh yeah, 8mb.

click link to open up a much larger thumb. only thing i dont like is the edge of beard on the right hand side (as you look at it) of the mariners face.

lev_arris

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cannot find the edit on fanedit.info - I guess that's because it is not approved yet. Can anyone tell me how to get this most interesting edit or if I just have to wait a little more?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
its on fanedit.info. at the bottom there is a link to unapproved edits. seek (harder) and ye shall find

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes, I expected comments to come in much sooner for this one...
Don't let this faneditor wait forever, guys, you wanted this project so much and Zaaacharias for sure gave it his best shot and took all the time to create a true quality release.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll post a comment as soon as I can. I simply haven't had time to watch a film of this length with work the way it is now, but I'll try to watch and post a comment at the weekend. :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
same here, I've downloaded and burned, I just need to find 3 hrs to watch it :)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
me three, all ready to go but no time as of yet :(

i have skimmed it though and it looks VERY good.

lev_arris

Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep, same with me. am excited as hell, it looks REALLY good. maybe tonight? i hope to get my hand on a beamer until then...

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dont have the time to write a lengthy review, and there really isnt much to say since this is still technically the same film, just longer (and better) than we have seen before.

All the technical work is seamless, video looks great and the sound is supurb, never noticed any faults or errors besides 2 quick midscene "fades" where the image grew darker then lighter in a period of 2-3 seconds in the first act. Otherwise this is by far the best version of Waterworld I have seen to date!

Thank you Zaaacharias, your work and skill is very exceptional and I hope to see more from you in the future!

Entertainment 8/10 (original 7/10) the added material makes for a more well rounded experience and fills in a few holes from the theatrical.

Editing 10/10 both audio and video are seamless with the exception of the 2 scenes that quickly darken and lighten in the first hour (at the human base) which looks more like source error than editor error.

Extras n/a besides a nice intro menu and multiple language subtitles

Final score 9/10 this version is a must for fans of the film who want a high quality copy of the most complete version available.

well done sir!

approved.png

Top Bottom