• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Watchmen: Midnight (Updated version!)

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just downloaded (what I assume to be) the updated version of the edit in MKV form, but I couldn't get it to play. MPC just plays audio after saying that some "pins in the graph" couldn't be rendered, and DivX player doesn't do anything with it. Anyone else have these issues? I was really looking forward to seeing it since I never saw the original version of the edit.

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to hear about your playback problem, Aztek463 -- it tested fine with VLC and Quicktime, so I recommend trying those.

manchuso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember your other edit and would like to see this one as well. Can you direct me to the download?

Thanks!

woundedmakers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=15368]Flixcapacitor[/MENTION]
Hey, I know I'm wayyyy late to the game here. Had a bit of trouble logging in to post a proper review-but I just have to say-I finally watched V1 of your Midnight cut yesterday and-WOW! FANTASTIC! As a huge fan of the comic, and a casual fan of the film-your Midnight cut is utter perfection. I usually enjoy fanedits as ALTERNATIVE versions of films I like, but you sir-have created a DEFINITIVE VERSION of Watchmen. Perfectly executed on every level. Old edit or not, I just wanted to stop by and say GREAT JOB and THANK YOU! :)

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
woundedmakers said:
Flixcapacitor
Hey, I know I'm wayyyy late to the game here. Had a bit of trouble logging in to post a proper review-but I just have to say-I finally watched V1 of your Midnight cut yesterday and-WOW! FANTASTIC! As a huge fan of the comic, and a casual fan of the film-your Midnight cut is utter perfection. I usually enjoy fanedits as ALTERNATIVE versions of films I like, but you sir-have created a DEFINITIVE VERSION of Watchmen. Perfectly executed on every level. Old edit or not, I just wanted to stop by and say GREAT JOB and THANK YOU! :)

Thanks, woundedmakers! Glad you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to completing a further revision that will also include a serialized version of the narrative and possibly incorporate material from other films to flesh out the story world (i.e. military footage and mounting nuclear war tension).

A Sled in Flames

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't wait until the remastered HD version. I always put this edit on when I'm in the mood for Watchmen. All the changes are frankly brilliant. Even the smallest things, like ending "All Along the Watchtower," before Nite Owl and Rorschach start cutting into the base, is a great move.

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Sled in Flames said:
Can't wait until the remastered HD version. I always put this edit on when I'm in the mood for Watchmen. All the changes are frankly brilliant. Even the smallest things, like ending "All Along the Watchtower," before Nite Owl and Rorschach start cutting into the base, is a great move.

Thanks! I'm happy that my version is your go-to version of Watchmen. I'm hoping to dive into the remastered project in 2016.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=15368]Flixcapacitor[/MENTION], just a reminder that it is now 2016 ;) looking forward to your HD remastered version.

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
Flixcapacitor, just a reminder that it is now 2016 ;) looking forward to your HD remastered version.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it too :) I'll experiment with conforming HD sources to my original FCP7 timeline and deal with any timecode mishaps that might cause. If that plan just doesn't work then I will remake the entire project in Premiere Pro.

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
-- Five years later update 😵 --

The HD remastered editions of Watchmen: Midnight are nearly complete! I say "editions" because I'm planning for a single, feature length format as well as a serialized 12-episode format in order to approximate the original comics. What started years ago as an experiment to conform my DVD-sourced timeline from FCP7 to and BD-sourced timeline in FCPX turned into me manually recreating every cut. And, as things go, along the way I found myself tinkering more with the material. The HD editions will include significant changes that continue the original intention of the project: to reshape the film Watchmen to more closely represent the narrative structure, characterizations, and tone of the original comics.

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
-- Four years later update 😵 --

The HD remastered editions of Watchmen: Midnight are nearly complete! I say "editions" because I'm planning for a single, feature length format as well as a serialized 12-episode format in order to approximate the original comics. What started years ago as an experiment to conform my DVD-sourced timeline from FCP7 to and BD-sourced timeline in FCPX turned into me manually recreating every cut. And, as things go, along the way I found myself tinkering more with the material. The HD editions will include significant changes that continue the original intention of the project: to reshape the film Watchmen to more closely represent the narrative structure, characterizations, and tone of the original comics.
With the new "significant changes" are you planning on using anything from the HBO series? I haven't watched it yet, but I've been told there's a flashback to the giant squid attack, and I've heard of people attempting to edit it into the movie.
In any case, I'm really excited for this!

Anime is cool

Reaction score
Trophy Points
it would be really cool to serve it as an ''alternate ending'' format kind of thing. much of luck!

Flix Capacitor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the new "significant changes" are you planning on using anything from the HBO series? I haven't watched it yet, but I've been told there's a flashback to the giant squid attack, and I've heard of people attempting to edit it into the movie.
In any case, I'm really excited for this!
Thanks for your support! I won't attempt to incorporate the giant squid from the HBO series into this project -- The HBO series is a quasi-sequel to the comics, but the 2009 film is missing key elements from the comics that underpin Veidt's plan to unleash the squid on NYC. Some of these missing elements include Veidt using comic book writers and artists to design the monster, the presence of the Institute for Extraspatial Studies, and the whole business of genetic engineering that made the squid possible. That's why it makes little sense in the film when we see Bubastis and ovehear a restaurant patron mentioning a four-legged chicken.

Anime is cool

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for your support! I won't attempt to incorporate the giant squid from the HBO series into this project -- The HBO series is a quasi-sequel to the comics, but the 2009 film is missing key elements from the comics that underpin Veidt's plan to unleash the squid on NYC. Some of these missing elements include Veidt using comic book writers and artists to design the monster, the presence of the Institute for Extraspatial Studies, and the whole business of genetic engineering that made the squid possible. That's why it makes little sense in the film when we see Bubastis and ovehear a restaurant patron mentioning a four-legged chicken.
i agree with this, other than serving it as an alternate shot bonus which only source material fans will get. it's better off being spent in actually restructuralizing the narrative and plot points more coherently! best of wishes once more!

Top Bottom