• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Warsaw Uprising 1944 in color

Zagadka

Reaction score
Trophy Points

I don't know if there is anybody here who is interested in the Polish history, but hey :)... just look at this video!

Black and white silent footage taken during the 1944 Warsaw Uprising against the German army in order to liberate the city from the Third Reich's rule have been turned into a mesmerising feature movie with sound and color.

The only purely fictional elements are voiceovers presenting an imagined narrative that stitches together the footage: Two brothers scour the streets of the Polish city tasked with filming the 1944 rebellion of Warsaw residents against their Nazi occupiers, commenting on what they witness, from soup kitchens to scenes of destruction.

Cinematographers hired by the Warsaw Rising Museum added colouration and sound that give a real-life feel, while modern editing techniques provide a polished, fast-paced narrative.

The 90-minute movie took two years for museum historians and film experts to create, as authenticity was of utmost importance. Lip-reading experts carefully examined the footage to give the people filmed a proper voice, while historians consulted with surviving fighters and studied thousands of old pictures to ensure they would gave the right color and shade to each garment worn.

The film will be released in cinemas – in Poland and abroad – next year, before the uprising’s 70th anniversary.

Zagadka

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was deeply moved by this movie... everything that is seen in it is real. The quality of image was perfect and soundtrack by Bartosz Chajdecki really beautiful. You should know that Warsaw Uprising was one of the biggest revolts in IIWW history - almost all residents offered their help to insurgents (Home Army) and gave them permission to fight against Germans, even though it was a grave risk. Well, too bad that almost the entire city was destroyed - but still, WU was an act of true heroism.

Here's the article about Warsaw Uprising if anyone is interested in that history.

I know that Warsaw Uprising is going to be released in the USA (in Los Angeles and New York mostly, and on some festivals). It'll be sent as a candidate to Academy Award. :)

Enjoy the track:
[video=dailymotion]

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent tip. I hope I get to see this somewhere (Come on BBC4 buy a copy!). Na zdrowie!

Zagadka

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today's 73th anniversary of Warsaw Uprising. The above movie can be found on DVD with English subtitles.
Once a year on August 1st, the people of Warsaw pay hommage to the fallen heroes that fought for freedom in 1944 during the Warsaw Uprising:

If you ever visit Warsaw, be sure to check this amazing The Warsaw Uprising Museum.

Top Bottom