• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Warcraft: Prelude to Chaos

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wFkVOof.jpg

This is complete now.  Thank you for everybody who helped make this happen.  In particular, @"Zamros" and @"thecuddlyninja" for their feedback, and @"theryaney" for the animated "Prelude to Chaos" title sequence!  Hope y'all enjoy!

Original film name: Warcraft
New film name : Warcraft: Prelude to Chaos
Date Original Was Released : 2016
Date Edit Was Released : 2017
Original Runtime : 122m
New Runtime : 91m
Amount of time Cut/Added : 34m cut / 3 minutes added

Synopsis: There are some fleeting moments in Warcraft (2016) that demonstrate that it could have been not only the film to finally break the video game-to-film adaptation curse, but that it could have stood shoulder to shoulder with the best of fantasy movies.  Sadly, these moments are lost in a script with poor dialog, a meaningless second act, and characters that have inconsistent motivations.

Intention: The purpose of making this edit is to minimize the damage done primarily in the second act of the movie.  This includes, but is not limited to, eliminating the Garona/Lothar romance, the Alodi subplot, and bad line reads from the beginning to the end.  With any luck, this will satisfy fans as a worthy substitute for the original for which they don't feel like they have to apologize.

Release Information:
MP4
BD25

Changes:
There are over a 120 edits to this film.  Practically every scene has lines removed or reordered.  While details of which will be forthcoming, here's a breakdown of the more prominent edits.

Act 1

Removed Human/Orc Duel
Removed Durotan VO
Modified Draenei subtitles
Added new "Prelude to Chaos" Title Sequence
Added Goldshire Location Text
Heavily Modified Khadgar meets Llayne Scene
-Lothar/Callan's relationship implied
-Khadgar's mage history/exposition removed
-edited to lead into Griffin flight to Kharazan
Removed Lother / Lady Taria Scene
Inserted Horde Destruction Montage from Act 2
Removed Khadgar / Alodi Scenes
Removed Khadgar / Medivh Confrontation

Act 2

Removed Lothar / Direwolf Encounter
Heavily Modified Garona meets Llayne Scene
-Removed Lothar / Garona Romantic implications
-Removed Garona being persuaded by offer of Freedom
-Removed Medivh's confusion
Removed Medivh recharging at the Font
Heavily Modified Garona meets Lady Taria Scene
-Removed Garona speaking to Medivh
-Removed all dialog of Garona
Added Llayne / Lady Taria Balcony Scene
Removed Lothar dressing Garona Scene
Removed Council of Races Scene
Removed Lothar / Callan Infirmary Scene
Removed Khadgar / Medivh Book Burning Scene
Removed Khadgar / Lothar warning to about the Gate Scene
Modified Callan's death scene so that Medivh is more culpable
Heavily Modified Lothar / Garona Blame Scene
-Removed Lothar / Garona Romantic Implications
-Only have Lothar lament on his pain
Removed Khadgar / Alodi Scene on Dalaran
Removed Medivh's Transformation Scene
Removed Romantic Implications in Lothar / Garona Scene in Jail

Act 3

Re-edited such that Llayne's army arrives simultaneosly to the Durotan / Gul'Dan Duel
Removed many of Lothar's comedic lines when fighting Medivh
Edited Llayne / Garona scene to not reference lines previously removed
Used "Prelude to Chaos" Title Sequence
Inserted World of Warcraft Log in Music over credits
Moved Thrall's Discovery Scene to after the credits
Added Special Thanks

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aww, sad to see the duel go. I thought that was the best part of the movie.

I like your changes to the second and third acts though. Am excited to see this, was frustrated with the original's mediocrity.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I appreciate your cutting of the more egregious subplots, I think you were a bit overzealous, in some cases. The main problem with Warcraft wasn't that it was too long, but that it was too short, so it couldn't expand on any of its themes. As such, I think you really need to focus in on the themes and characters you're currently building. King Llane needs more screen time for a character of his importance, although I appreciate you giving him the deleted scene. Lothar and his son's relationship needs to be built upon, not disregarded. The removal of Khadgar's subplot is pretty good, although I think he needs at least one scene to himself. We barely get a sense of who his character is in your cut. Garona's subplot might be the best improvement. While I still don't like her portrayal, I actually cared about what happened to her as her subplot was focused on her being a social outcast and being accepted. Not love or some shit, and some weird shit with Medivh where they hint he's her Dad when he's her lover in the lore, I dunno. That's all gone now, so I don't care.

I think your transitions from sequence to sequence need a bit of work. The dissolves happen way too fast, so I couldn't help but imagine them as either a slow dissolve or a hard cut. I LOVED your re-editing of the third act so Durotan dies when Llanes army is attacking, brings a lot more urgency to the fight. No complaints there. (Will have to rewatch it to check for niggles)

As it's called "A Prelude to Chaos", this should really be viewed in context, assuming that there will even be any sequels. I feel like slicing down of key exposition will, sadly, only make this more confusing to non-fans. I got everything that was happening because I know the lore, but non-fans might be a bit puzzled.

I like that this is fast paced, but I think it might be too fast paced. The characters barely get any breathing room.

Again, I think the main problem with the original film is that it's too short, not too long. But a more focused cut would be preferable to the original, which was sadly all over the place. This cut just needs more first act, tbh.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
1) Lothar and his son's relationship needs to be built upon, not disregarded.  

2) Khadgar needs at least one scene to himself. We barely get a sense of who his character is in your cut. 

3) I think your transitions from sequence to sequence need a bit of work. The dissolves happen way too fast, so I couldn't help but imagine them as either a slow dissolve or a hard cut. 

4) I like that this is fast paced, but I think it might be too fast paced. The characters barely get any breathing room. 

1) I'll strongly consider adding more of their dynamic.

2) Unfortunately, there are no scenes of him by himself, outside of him studying which is in my edit.  I wish there was though.

3) Any specifics here would be very helpful.  Even if you could offer some timestamps, that would go a long way for me.

4) Unfortunately, when characters "breath" in this movie, they often say stupid things, especially for the human characters.  I'll look for opportunities of including less egregious dialog to give the film some space.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
2) Unfortunately, there are no scenes of him by himself, outside of him studying which is in my edit.  I wish there was though.

3) Any specifics here would be very helpful.  Even if you could offer some timestamps, that would go a long way for me.

4) Unfortunately, when characters "breath" in this movie, they often say stupid things, especially for the human characters.  I'll look for opportunities of including less egregious dialog to give the film some space.

For no 3, I'll have a wee go through at some point.

For 2 and 4, yeah the movie fights against you on this one. You would have thought Duncan Jones could have crafted better small moments, considering Moon was entirely about small moments.

octoroxx

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How attached are you to the name Prelude to Chaos? I think it's a bit odd since I doubt there will be any sequels. Why not Warcraft: Orcs & Humans as a tribute to the game?

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
octoroxx said:
How attached are you to the name Prelude to Chaos? I think it's a bit odd since I doubt there will be any sequels. Why not Warcraft: Orcs & Humans as a tribute to the game?

I optimistic that there will be a sequel.  The movie made plenty internationally.  The movie has a very open ending and my thoughts are that with a subtitle like "Prelude to Chaos", an audience member will understand that things will be left unfinished.

Your title isn't without merit, but I'm trying to paint an expectation.

Taz3105

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Your edit sounds excellent and in my opinion would greatly enhance the movie. Is there a finish date in sight? Looking forward to watch this edit. Keep up the good work!

douchebag

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, the extended Ironforge scene might help in terms of allowing the film to breathe a little.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
douchebag said:
Will you be adding the deleted scenes on Draenor?

No.  The Draenor scenes only work if placed before the opening of the gate.  As it stands, I think my edit is strong leading up to that moment and those scenes add an unnecessary diversion.  While I would really like to include the scene in which Blackhand states he doesn't want the Fel, it cannot be inserted anywhere else in the film and it doesn't work without the other deleted scenes.  Moreover, the some of the shots in the deleted scenes are incomplete and they only come in stereo, while my edit will be in 5.1.  I had to carefully redesign the stereo track in the deleted scene I've added to make it 5.1  and it seems unnecessary to do the same with the other material.

FreeUkulele

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just today I  thought about Warcraft and that it should be ripe for a fanedit, with being a incredibly faithful adaption weighed down with all those muddled storylines and stupid dialogue and whatnot, and lo and behold, here I find a threat about it barely a week old. 

Looking forward to your edit, the changes you have in mind are looking promising, especially regarding the finale. When the death of a main character is more confusing than moving to me ("Nah, he's not wait. Is he? Oh, he IS dead? Huh. Really? Huh. Okay.", same goes for Lothars son), the movie definitely did something wrong with its pacing. 

So, looking forward to your take on this!

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I get a little closer to completion, I'd thought I'd share this video I've made comparing the original to my edit, which will be available on the BD version of the edit.

https://youtube/5CQTQ2CDi2E[/video]

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, here are a few scene by scene comparisons courtesy of Vimeo.  
fanedit.org

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've decided to do three different designs for the BD Jacket.  One for people who favor the Horde, one who favor the Alliance and one for those who are uncommitted to either cause.  The plan is to record the Commentary this weekend, author a working BD, and release early next week.

LcHnLek.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, now those are some nice covers beezo. I especially like the map one.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Wow, now those are some nice covers beezo. I especially like the map one.

Thanks!

Top Bottom