• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Wakeupkeo's Justice League

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know I know, do we really need yet another Justice League edit?
For some fans of my DCEU edits, we do.

I have been getting requests for one ever since the ZSJL finally came out. I did my original DoJ Trilogy edits in hopes of the ZSJL release, and I couldn't be happier that it happened. As absolutely bloated as it was, I saw no need to rush to edit it.​
I knew others would do that, combining the best of the two JL releases together, like legendary editors Gieferg, Spence, and BionicBob. With so much source material to work with, the many choices work beautifully in the hands of these great editors, and they did make every choice work flawlessly.​
But as seems likely in this hobby with so many possible choices to make along the way, I never saw an edit quite the way I would cut it. I've also watched a ton of less than perfect edits from other non-approved editors, but still not quite for me. So after so many requests for my version, and now that Huntress DOA is on IFDB, its seems time. And I have the itch. And I want to stay true to my goal of editing movies first and foremost for myself, and I genuinely watch my edits repeatedly. I'm a dork I know.​

Also, with the new buzz about Cavill being back, I have renewed pride in my DCEU edits, and new excitement to continue them. Cavill has mentioned how he differed on ZS's image of Superman should be, and I definitely feel the Supes' of my edits are closer to his ideal. I flinched at Cavill's Superman the first time I saw him, because it was so different than what I was expecting, but over the years I have really come to love his version just so much. Theatrically, the DCEU had problems, but after fixes, I feel these movies have so much more heart than some of the MCU stuff. And now, he's sticking around. So... hell yeah.

Anyways, here's the broad plan at this point:

• Using ZSJL as the main template, adding in moments of JWJL here and there, full 1920x1080
  • Reordering scenes and removing exposition
  • ZSJL's Steppenwolf is our baddie here
  • Supes' ends in blue suit for better future DCEU continuity

Currently, the plan is to build the best WKJL possible, regardless of length. After that, I will consider a more manageable "theatrical cut" with a shorter timeline. But this edit is first and foremost concerned with telling the best story possible.

And cropping of the ZSJL footage is being evaluated on a shot by shot basis. Lots work fine, but minor shots all over need to be corrected with more love.

Also, with color - rough color correction is in effect right now, with plans to fine tune it after the main edit is built. Currently it seems that the ZSJL color is hard to get to JWJL looks, but easier taking JWJL to ZSJL looks, so that is the plan, for now. I'm not bound to any look, but just what works best for the movie as a whole. Any insight to other's JL coloring fixes, in Premiere pro specifically, would definitely be helpful!

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
--------------------------------------------

I am just starting this edit and have been working hard the last couple weeks on the opening sequence and intro credits. Lots of Topaz work, Premiere masking, and AE Content Aware efforts to remove credit text with some great results. But some shots were impossible to remove credits text. In those cases, where neither ZSJL or JWJL could be fixed to a usable level, the shot had to either be removed, or integrated.

Since the first opening sequence and opening credits are 18min long, I doubt I will get the video up anywhere without legal issue. So my plan is to describe changes and reasons as best as possible as I go, almost like a journal, so you all can see the minor changes and ask challenging questions. Let's begin!

We begin with the ZSJL intro, the most up to date. I removed the "A WarnerMedia Company" text with AE Content Aware Fill as WB is such a mess, I want to keep this edit as timeless as possible. Classic WB intro music is also added to this sequence.
NOLd9BB.jpg

Keeping the JWJL tile card for "Access Entertainment". The sound of horse running begins fading in.
yULUFTh.jpg

Adding WB and DC logos from the ZSJL Trailer. These were upscaled and heavily slowed in Topaz, and they are slowly growing as they fade in and out here. The sound of the horses gets louder, with part of the vocals from the ZSJL Track "Ancient Lamentations"
56zREl9.jpg
4yHh1pH.jpg

We move to Themiscura using the JWJL shot, due to the inclusion of the riding group. Most of the chant has faded and we just hear horses with a couple "Hyah!" peppered in.
SyqvsrJ.jpg

In this edit, we are beginning with Hippolyta first arriving at the stronghold containing the motherbox. Back to the ZSJL shots of Hippolyta entering the stronghold, removing the hallway shot looking in, where the "strong Blonde Pillar Guard" is smiling.
G5RylWB.jpg

The line "since the first age" is removed. (needless exposition)
cS43vJz.jpg

The line "This is the first time it's gone quiet since the crack appeared" is removed (exposition)
iGX0hAW.jpg

Shots of pheasant Amazons removed when boom tube appears
FaXmUQz.jpg

One of the shots of the parademons floating around shooting Amazons removed (shot just before this)
pwUnCJg.jpg

Cut Hippolyta telling Phillipus to gather the legions with Menalippe, now just Menalippe calls Phillipus
MZCKsf0.jpg

Shot of Hippolyta standing still and looking at Steppenwolf after grabbing the Mother box is removed, moving to this shot.
jQO8nKy.jpg

Second shot of Epione getting shot removed.
BmLkkBV.jpg

Hippolyta leaving the stronghold is condensed to remove Euboea and the paradeamon,
8M2rOHT.jpg

Hippolta sliding under the wall tightened for less "Zack" vibes
0HGrAzH.jpg

Two shots of Hippolyta looking up at the crumbling stronghold reduced to once.
o0OfGRm.jpg

Last edited:

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First part of Hippolyta shot handing the mother box to the riders trimmed
Tdrk2vF.jpg

Shot of Hippolyta walking to cliff edge from behind removed.
iirVwWD.jpg

Shot of Steppenwolf being stuck with a spear removed, as it quickly disappeared while arrows remain.
ATJlfVe.jpg

Extended shot of Euboea dying removed.
pHFsQNv.jpg

Scene finishes then cut to the nuclear plant.
KREUbVN.jpg

After the mother box begins to add the fortress, the scene is merged with the scene of Steppenwolf talking to Desaad.
c5pv4Nc.jpg

wvZCiu2.jpg

After Stephenwolf says “For Darkseid”, we move to the shot of the paradeamons leaving the nuclear stack and text added for Warner Bros Pictures Presents” and “A Zack Snyder Film”. Typography all pulled from the ZSJL trailer, upscaled, and rebuilt for this edit. We begin to hear an extended intro for the song Everybody Knows from JWJL. The song has been pitch shifted to better match the music from the previous scene. The music lyrics have been chopped up to make lines more relevant to the scene on screen when possible by separating the lyrics from the music.

G8YFOnh.jpg

jump-scaring the child at the window, cut to black.
hE3hdvs.jpg

Cut to black, fade in on main title screen rebuilt from the ZSJL trailer. Upscaled and heavily slowed in Topaz. (Everybody knows that the dice are loaded, everybody rolls with their fingers crossed)
1iuDyow.jpg

Intro shots mostly from JWJL. This shot was slowed and text removed to replace with Ben Affleck (Everybody knows the war is over, everybody knows the good guys lost.)
h5HRjej.jpg

This shot was slowed and cropped to remove text and replace with Gal Gadot (Everybody knows the fight was fixed, the poor stay poor, the rich get rich.)
fvMdGC9.jpg

This shot was slowed and text removed to replace with Ray Fisher (That’s how it goes, everybody knows.)
aBKNBxd.jpg

Text removed to add Jason Momoa (Everybody knows the boat is leaking)
Text removed to add Ezra Miller (Everybody know the captain lied)
gtmZO3b.jpg

Text removed to add Jeremy Irons (Everybody’s got a broken feeling) carries into ZSJL footage used at the overhead umbrella shot
finpCfn.jpg

Text added for Amy Adams during coffee cup on the barrier (like their father or their dog just died)
p5BACdL.jpg

Text added for “And Henry Cavill” to shot of broken statue (Everybody talking to their pockets, everybody wants a box of chocolates)
wWteENI.jpg

Shot of Lois looking up to monument (And a long stem rose)

JWJL Shot of Lois in bedroom (Everybody knows) Here I couldn’t remove the text with enough quality, so I had to cover over existing text. “With” added before Ciaran’s name, then Amanda and Joe are listed
RwCB92Z.jpg
3olE8d7.jpg

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ZSJL footage shift, Martha walking to her truck with text for Diane Lane (Everybody knows! Everybody knows)
3eq8XdT.jpg

Martha getting in the truck with text for Connie Nelson and JK Simmons (That’s how it goes, everybody knows)
VTEeLax.jpg

Truck lights on the graves with added text for editors credits (Everybody knows! Everybody knows)
hwUJeTA.jpg

Shot of foreclosed sign and Kansas farm with added text of EPs (That’s how it goes, everybody knows)
IkGxmxr.jpg

JWJL footage of unrest in streets, unable to remove credits so I had to overlay them with the new typography
(And everybody knows that the peg is coming,
everybody know what you’ve been through.
Everybody knows that you’re in trouble,
everybody knows that its me or you.
Everybody knows its coming apart)

4zwzinC.jpg

Removed JW’s name from the screenplay credit and added Zack (Take one last look at this sacred heart)
W3bEqYP.jpg

Slowed footage down (Before it blows, everybody knows)
cOUpynv.jpg

Back to ZSJL footage, song lyrics end but music continues as shot of exterior of underwater structure
orlvLjx.jpg

Shot of motherbox shaking, and Mera looking on. (Box doesn’t stop shaking here)
fJ7NuOO.jpg
jMYSfHx.jpg

Shot of Cyborg raising his head to look in the closet, shot removes credits text, box stops shaking on final big song beat.
8ODi5DG.jpg
qzLMDD0.jpg

Black screen, fade in text “Part 1”
7riOO0o.jpg

All right, thats the intro! Open to notes and suggestions, and of course and color recommendations and I haven't done much fine tuning with that part yet. I plan to do that at the end.

Next up, Aquaman meets Batman in the Islandic region. I probably won't be this detailed and visual in the future unless you all think this intro exercise was helpful.

That is all, have a great day everyone!

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully none of it. It prevents any iteration of JL to be complete story.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right on @Bored at 3:00AM!!

Yeah, kinda with @Gieferg on this one - The knightmare stuff is great fun as an easter egg, but its just so damn distracting to the core story. One aspect I enjoyed from the JWJL is the overall hesitancy to resurrect Clark, and I am planning on attempting to fold that aspect into this edit. Consequently, with Bruce being in favor of resurrection, it goes against his visions of an out-of-control Clark. Little bits MIGHT work if it can be shortened to just the best moments and "wake" Bruce up at some relevant point, but its probably best left to a "featured short" or something maybe called "Bruce's Knightmares" or something with enough separation from the main story.

I really haven't gotten to it yet, as i am slowly working my way through the most important narrative chunks at this point, but I'll keep you updated!

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In my first ZSJL edit, which uses only two cuts, whole Knightmare sequence was one of them (the second being Martha Manhunter reveal). In fact those are only two things that really bothered me in ZSJL and from what I've seen, any serious fanedit removes them.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agreed. Ain't no Martian Manhunter in this edit either lol

As I approach the Aquaman first recruitment scene, I will definitely be mixing the two edits. When JWJL came out, this scene was the first actual scene with Arthur, besides the BvS Lex videos. And I don't think it has the same punch it did, now with his whole movie and solid public awareness of the character.

So I am going to try to focus it more, and make it more obvious that rather than Bruce wanting to have a "conversation outside," THIS is THE conversation. Politely, in front of these public people, Bruce is indicating to Arthur he knows who he is and he needs his help. Lets begin:

We use as much of the ZSJL footage of Bruce arriving in the Icelandic harbor, removing credit text where possible and cutting what doesn't work in that regard. (I am debating to add more credits like visual effects and score to this time, but its after the "Part 1" so i am leaning toward no.)

Once we end the shot of Bruce's face on the cliff, we cut directly to the shot of Bruce's business card - no walk through the village.

Inside the town meeting, its a mix of both cuts. We start with the full ZSJL footage explanation of why Bruce didn't just chopper in. We also remove Bruce's opening line "I believe" so he starts with a more confident "There is a man..."

That carries to just before "That was last night". Here, we are using the JWJL footage for added emphasis. Then right back to ZSJL of Arthur translating to the Town Leader, then back to JWJL of the Leader responding. Then back to ZSJL

After Bruce says that the stranger doesn't come by boat, Arthur resonding in some unknown Icelandic has been removed to leave a long angry stare. This is the point that they both know Bruce knows, and then Bruce begins his plea for help.

I removed Bruce's line "It's very important that I see this man" because.... well, he's looking right at him. Again, the nature of this meeting is different. No longer does Bruce want to talk in private - this IS the talk. Also, he offers $25k "to talk to this man right now" instead of the added "outside."

When the room begins to laugh at Bruce, trimmed shots of JWJL are added where he sees the mural on the wall with the three boxes. He doesn't mention it, but he sees it.

When Arthur tells Bruce to get out, I got creative. I feel the ZSJL response of "I don't think so" adequate but forgettable. The line in JWJL of "Can you at least point me to Atlantis" a bit more fun. I removed the text in the ZSJL with AE Content Aware, and hoped to only replace the subtitle for Bruce's Icelandic phrase, but the audio seemed too short for the whole line. I know I could have just changes the whole shot out and gain the whole line, but I am trying to avoid as much JWJL footage of Bruce as possible, as his face looks just slightly different. So instead, I gave him a new quip - "I thought you'd have gills." Seems enough to anger Arthur LOL

As Arthur and Bruce talk outside, we get some of JWJL dialogue about wanting to help people no one else does. We keep the two quips about "Doesn't mean I'm wrong" which I love, We still get a little of the townspeople singing, but Bruce doesn't react to it, and the music fades into the chopper sound of the following scene with Alfred.

Alfred doesn't bereate Bruce that his cave life might not make him the best recruiter. Instead, the acknowledgement of two metahumans declining is the focus, which allows a better transition to the Diana scenes next.

Thats it for this installment! Let me know if you would really like screenshots added. Its a bit of extra effort and these notes are probably only for diehards that know the footage closely already, but I can and will of its helpful to visualize the changes. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Bored at 3:00AM

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right on @Bored at 3:00AM!!

Yeah, kinda with @Gieferg on this one - The knightmare stuff is great fun as an easter egg, but its just so damn distracting to the core story. One aspect I enjoyed from the JWJL is the overall hesitancy to resurrect Clark, and I am planning on attempting to fold that aspect into this edit. Consequently, with Bruce being in favor of resurrection, it goes against his visions of an out-of-control Clark. Little bits MIGHT work if it can be shortened to just the best moments and "wake" Bruce up at some relevant point, but its probably best left to a "featured short" or something maybe called "Bruce's Knightmares" or something with enough separation from the main story.

I really haven't gotten to it yet, as i am slowly working my way through the most important narrative chunks at this point, but I'll keep you updated!
If memory serves, you didn't include any of the Knighmares stuff in BvS, correct?

Given that the whole dark alternate future isn't ever happening, I think it'd definitely be best to remove it completely.

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. Heavily looking forward to this, I loved the 4 hours of ZSJL from the bottom of my heart, but it's always kinda hard to watch it knowing that most of the sequel baits are going nowhere, but we have most of the OG cast returning, that's already a nice little victory. I liked how you kept bits of the Knightmare in BvS Consequences, not as premonitions like originally intended, but just as the regular nightmares of someone as paranoiac as Bruce Wayne can dream of. Maybe you can work something similar if you're planning to keep some of the Knightmare sequences.

2. How about the allusions to the Anti-Life equation and the Darkseid line about preparing his armies for an imminent invasion on Earth, are you planning on keeping them?

3. I'm way stepping ahead with this one sorry, but maybe you can consider closing the edit with the Mother Box teaser clip accompanied by the music of your choice. Gieferg used the same idea, but as an opening, and it worked on fire.

4. As for the Aquaman meeting, I'm good with all your ideas, just don't put in the JL17 shot of Aquaman diving backward into the water (obvious green screen). The ZSJL version of that scene is way more mystical and mysterious.

Last edited:

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right on! Lemme see...

1. Exactly right! Completely my plan on the Knightmare! Not ruling it out, parts could show up in Cyborg's visions, but for the most part they have to be important to character arc and not distracting.

2. I'm keeping stuff (that probably would never come to theatrical fruition in future movies) ONLY if it serves the story now. I can't answer that for sure yet, but right now as I edit, Earth is just one of many for Steppenwolf to conquer on his "redemption tour." Keeping Earth more significant seems like stakes I want to raise to, but I agree that removing sequel bait is a main goal here.

3. Possibly! Its so awesome, I was thinking of maybe for the first part of the credits. Aquaman is the next movie in order, and they movie to a very graphic beginning of the end credits, so I'm thinking something similar here. This movie is the bridge from the darker DoJ Trilogy and the original Suicide Squad, so the movie still feels like that to begin with, but I am hoping to end with a brighter tone to blend better into the DCEU movies that follow.

4. Ha ha I actually color corrected that shot and still hated it. That shot has been replaced with Bruce looking on, then back to the water ripples. Love that you pointed that out, these are the cringy parts I want to stay away from.

Next up - Diana's intro. The intent here is to show she is back saving people, but might be a bit too brutal. The fight scene ends with the hat landing on the cop car and that cop looking up in shock. Lets begin.

After Bruce and Alfred discuss how Bruce's offer been turned down twice while moving from chopper to jet, we move to Diana.

Beginning with the ZSJL footage, all is uncut until we remove Diana watching from above.

Edits when we get to the leader of what I am calling "Euro Project Mahem." In the ZSJL, he starts the bomb before Diana uses the lasso. In this edit, after.

Dialogue is trimmed for Diana's lasso scene - she does not explain the lasso, she doesn't say "Boring!", the guy doesn't laugh and say the countdown has begun (because in this edit it hasn't.)

In this edit, like in JWJL, the bomb only has 20sec. I still wanted to used the full footage of the Leader taking out the key for the bomb, so I used AE motion tracking to use the clock readout from JWJL for the same shot from ZSJL

When Diana arrives, we are mixing footage so we only get one closeup of Diana and the bullets at the doorway.

The main fight is ZSJL, but cutting Diana deflecting bullets at superspeed from the low level thugs. There's a few things here. I don't want to highlight here superspeed too much as it takes away from the coolness when Barry does it, and I want the time when she saves the hostages from the Leader's machine gun fire to be the first time that happens. So we movie quickly through the fight, with a couple bomb glances removed for better pacing

Diana's ZSJL closeup shot as breaks through the roof removed.

The leader trying to shoot people with his pistol removed

Closeup of Diana watching the first automatic bullet shot removed

Diana's line "believe it" and the Leader reloading are cut, and after his line, she "wrist-blasts" him. ZSJL footage until the hat lands on the cop car and the cop looks up.

We move to Hippolyta's scenes of them shooting the arrow.

Most is the same except Hippolyta's speech is shortened to:
"Sky torch, hero beacon, burn as you burned in days before.
Warn my daughter that war has come, and protect her."

ZSJL footage until we are inside the museum, then JWJL footage for Diana hearing the news.

And thats it for her intro at this point. I don't feel the need to show her retrieving the arrow and learning the legend - in this edit it is assumed she already knows the legend, and the fire is enough for her to know the danger.

Next up, Cyborg's intro. This one is proving to be very complicated, as I want to use some of JWJL again to emphasis his self-hate at basically being a frankenstein. I love how we got so much more Cyborg in ZSJL, and I want to honor his journey as the emotional core of the movie's theme, which I think are about growing in maturity to accept more responsibility. In some way, its a journey they all make.

Anyways, thanks for reading!

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds awesome! Very wise choices, especially the one preserving Flash's coolness. Hope you don't cut the graphic violence of Wonder Woman vs the Black Clad terrorists (yep, that's their official name), the blood on the wall after throwing them...etc, it isn't very "family friendly" but it highlights the devastating power scale of such god-like beings and shows us the darker path WW took after Steve Trevor's death.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, kept the blood and the cop reaction to the extreme violence. Was trying to get the little girl who stays seated to be actually in shock or traumatized, but there’s not enough footage for that…
But I think her finding her way back to heroism is a good arc to keep at this point.

Ha ha and those Black Clad Terrorists. I’m so tempted to layer in chats of “His Name is Robert Paulson” and call the location a European hub of credit reporting lol

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh yeah, gotta do that now. Maybe score it with music from Fight Club…

I definitely want to play with some fun rescoring later too. BionicBob’s edit was so good and if they used ZSJL’s Steppenwolf, I probably wouldn’t even be doing this edit. And their trailer has definitely inspired me for the finale…

And Bionic is also very dialed in on character development, and that’s where some decisions are starting to play into:

Bruce- JWJL optimistic or ZSJL brooding? (Doesn’t help that Alfred is full on Negative Nancy) Right now he’s cocky but sincerely trying with Arthur. I kind of like him being a pillar of confidence and optimism in the absence of Superman, especially to highlight his sacrifice at the end.

Cyborg- JWJL angry at dad and self hating, it ZSJL angry at dad mainly

Diana - figuring out how to be a leader again

I haven’t even started with Barry but it’s probably more about his anxieties about doing things that matter (I can relate)

Anyways, about to watch Black Adam, see you on the other side…

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, Cyborg is proving to be so fun, but tough. My love for these characters grows so much when I analyze them word for word.

Here I am really trying to focus on "setup and payoff" storytelling in this movie. Cyborg's ultimate climactic line in ZSJL is "I'm not broken, and I'm not alone."

In JWJL, his worries about what danger his new body may pose, and his self hatred as a "monster" are highlighted more than in ZSJL, so I want to add some of that back in. Beginning with audio dialogue, I had crafted a beautiful conversation that began and ended with ZSJL audio and had some JWJL parts about how he worries what he is becoming. The audio worked great, but after a ton of work, I just haven't been able to get Victor and Silas's physical places in the room to mesh, and i have been trying a lot. But I am forced back to the drawing board on this one. I have had success in adding some more of that "monster" dialogue to the part where Victor talks to Silas while the closet door is open showing the mother box, but instead of one quick scene that covers a lot, I am forced to have two different moments to convey the same emotional starting point for Victor.

So Victor's intro starts with ZSJL footage of Silas leaving his lab, JWJL of Howard giving Silas his condolences.

Then we have Silas arrive home, ZSJL

I have has success condensing a shorter flashback origin for Victor, and put it between when Silas leaves the tape recorder, and when Victor picks it up. In the new flashback, we skip the school hacking meeting with the counselor and remove all dialogue, leaving just a little football, the touchdown, mom cheering, Victor starting to celebrate, the empty chair, Victor being let down, Victor crying in the car, mom wiping his tear, accident. Back to Victor at the window remembering.

For Victor listening to the tape, some little bits of expositional dialogue are cut in favor of just the visuals that tell the same story.

Then back to Silas's lab getting broken into.

Next cut is to Bruce and Alfred on the jet. This has been a bit of a mix and will be tough to make it work, but mainly JWJL until the remark about the penguins. Then ZSJL when Alfred is questioning Bruce and Bruce discussing his promise to Superman. Still very much in the rough stages, to make it all work well together, but FOR NOW I like the bit of backstory Alfred gives for Victor and Barry. And I like the brewing chemistry between Diana and Bruce, so I am going to try to keep it. Ends with "maybe they're already here."

• Then, since we haven't seen Steppenwolf in a while, we have the ZSJL scene of him interrogating the Atlantians.
  • Back to the Lab and Silas's reaction stuff, ZSJL . Lots cut here like Silas saying he was studying something he doesn't have, and Silas explaining xenoscience.
  • Then Silas comes home to warn Cyborg, and we have adjusted dialogue to add Silas saying "you're not a monster" from JWJL
  • Next is Bruce back home and the JWJL alley interaction with the Parademon. I want to try and use this to "setup" the siren payoff in the climax, we'll see if I can get it lean enough to feel gritty and not cheesy.
  • We got to JWJL of Victor discovering who Batman is.
  • Then we are headed to Bruce working on the troop carrier ship, with JWJL of Bruce working on the signal and Diana's line that the security "looked expensive."
  • Mostly ZSJL footage for the Darkseid flashback of course, trimmed for less exposition and better flow. Also bringing in the line from JWJL "We should have died, but we formed our own unity." Ends with Diana asking where the others are.
Title card TBD but we need a shift in tone here.
  • Time for Flash!!!! We finally get to see Barry, pet store scene. Trimmed for less creepy-ness.
  • Back to JWJL footage of Barry checking in at the prison then ZSJL of Barry talking to his father.

Next up is some Aquaman time!
  • We begin with ZSJL footage of the trapped sailor, but we move to the JWJL to capture the underwater shot of Arthur arriving. Then back to ZSJL so the sailor doesn't discuss the attackers.
  • But we cut to JWJL of Arthur bringing the sailor in to the bar, so we get monster talk and the green stuff on his hand.
  • Then, I didn't think I was going to be able to use the Dafoe scene because of continuity with the Aquaman movie, but I have been able to keep him! Woo hoo! Arthur swims directly to Vulko instead of the continuity-breaking King of Atlantis "area."
  • Then back to Bruce and Diana watching video footage. Here I have removed Diana saying there was a war between Amazons and Atlanteans, so she still just seems a little more "rough" on people.
  • Next is the attack on the Atlantean mother box, and a modified discussion with Mera that keeps better continuity with the Aquaman movie.
  • Then we have Bruce meeting Barry. Not sure how much JWJL I will add in but I enjoy most of JWJL's Barry and the lighter tone. I think highlighting his immaturity is the right goal here though.
  • Next is the Parademons getting near Victor's apartment.
  • Then its ZSJL of Alfred and Diana, until the computer goes haywire on Victor's footage. Then we cut to JWJL of Victor chatting with Diana through the screens.
  • Next is ZSJL of Diana and Victor meeting up, and Victor burying the box.
  • After that, its Silas and Ryan discussing the heat properties of the ship material, and then Silas arriving home to find the box gone and the Parademon there.
  • Continuing ZSJL footage through Gotham PD, Silas arriving with the other prisoners, Barry meeting Diana and Cyborg realizing his dad has been kidnapped.
  • Then we have Steppenwolf adding the second box beside the first, and the shield cover coming down. No second chat with Desaad.

Up next is the rooftop meeting with Gordon, then the set piece of the saving of the prisoners. This one will absolutely mix JWJL, as we need to keep "Just save one" and lose Barry landing on Diana. LOL no brainer here. A little bit of JWJL to end it so we get "Dressed like a bat. I dig it." (setup and payoff, baby!)

Whew. That gets us to the group discussion in the hangar about the box, and Victor's backstory. A lot of what I mentioned between Victor's intro and here is really rough AT THIS STAGE, since i needed to get t o this point to flesh out Victor's dialogue here, to better inform how I tell his story in the Intro and up to this moment.

I am so excited about this edit overall, but it will be a slow one.

Here's a little throw away for fun in the meantime!! I don't think the Fight Club music used here would work in my actual edit, but enjoy!

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like all the choices you are making for this edit, the final result's gonna be a hit!

That Wonder Woman vs. Project Mayhem is so damn funny 😂, Europe is now free from debts, the Justice League has some strong competition. Funny, it reminds me of an old theory stating that Fight Club is an origin story of Jared Leto's Joker, dressing parallels between him and Angel Face; Joker is an agent of chaos? Because he was a part of Project Mayhem. He have silver teeth? Because he was beaten by Ed Norton ...etc

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found that theory @DirtyCop1036 , hilarious! (Although the one tiny redeeming trait about Leto's Joker is that grill, only for the continuity that if he killed Robin, Batman definitely "ruined that smile." But I hate that Leto turned that bit of trivia into motivation for that club douche persona.)

Lots of work being done on this edit sorting through the dual source footage, Its a bear, and thank goodness for proxies or my computer would be melting.

I hit another snag:

Initially, I rough-cut the movies all the way to the scene of the team first together in hangar, to sort out where all of Cyborg's origin moments are told. I then went back to Cyborg's intro to begin a second round rough cut, less rough LOL. I was making great progress back through, keeping moments like Diana and Alfred making tea while removing the Gauntlet discussion, mixing the two versions of the first fight with Steppenwolf to keep Barry and Victor as rescuers, and Diana slicing a Parademon on her slo-mo fall for the sword without the awkward Barry on Diana part of course, all while keeping ZSJL's version of Steppenwolf.​
But by the time I got back to the hangar scene and started working, only then i realized Bruce is wearing two different color shirts, damnit.​
One of the main goals of this edit is to introduce more of Diana's hesitation about resurrecting Clark. This is a major scene portraying that, and most of that footage in this scene is of JWJL Bruce in his white shirt.​
So I have been working and working, and i FINALLY have a scene that works out. Unfortunately I have list a few lines from ZSJL i would have liked to keep, but the result has some great ZSJL beats like the Arthur questioning Victor's trustworthy-ness, Victor flashback, and some of Victor's hologram of Superman, while Barry stays on the lift and not at the table, and still transition to JWJL of Bruce and Diana diagreeing about reviving Clark. Its been a struggle, but the light has shown through.​

I've now rough-cut up to the actual Kryptonian ship resurrection sequence.

Again, my goal is to begin from a ZSJL vibe of hopelessness, and end more upbeat and optimistic, more fitting of the future DCEU movies. This is especially awesome with all the new Cavill news about: Henry Cavill Says Superman Will Be ‘Enormously Joyful’ When He Returns: ‘I Never Gave Up Hope’ and ‘There’s a Bright Future Ahead.’ What is becoming clear is that there will need to be heavy rescoring of this movie to find the right emotional tone for most of the mixed scenes - in these scenes, ZSJL's score is clearly too moody, and JWJL's score feels especially cheeseball next to it. So yeah, color and score work mean this edit is going to be a long one.

One bright side on color though - I like to pride myself on my photoshop skills, and have recently learned that LUTs for premiere can be built in photoshop! I have no idea yet exactly HOW to do it, but this is awesome. I will be learning everything about the process before I begin the color correction phase, and adding another skill to the resume. I love how this hobby challenges me to constantly get better, and learn skills that I can use in my work life.

Back to the editing, thanks for reading!

Top Bottom