• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Wakeupkeo's Justice League

I'll be the first to admit this credit scroll might be a bit fast, so I'm also looking for another classic song to follow the super friends theme. Still classic vibes, but maybe a more slow one. Open to suggestions!
How about Ray Charles' I Am Blue, singed by Batman/Kevin Conroy?

Full version

And others on Kevin Conroy's website.

I think you guys are going to be very happy with this edit once it's finished. As I told Wakeupkeo via PM, I think is the strongest version of Justice League I've seen so far.

Thank you @Bored at 3:00AM !! You and @DirtyCop1036 have given thoughtful, careful analysis of so many great small things, I cannot thank you enough. Its given me more confidence in this edit and the goals.

Narrative is almost complete, I am currently sorting out one more major ZSJl/JWJL mixed scene (First group discussion about the motherbox) and beginning work on color correction, so still some work to do, but I am so pleased with the reception so far.

And, I must admit the Cavill news is bittersweet, but I aim to give him the best possible sendoff I can with this edit.

Last edited:
Thank you to @DirtyCop1036 and @bionicbob for your valuable input on a sequence that was I was not confident in!

The color work moving along faster than expected, I think the tools within Premiere are working great, actually. I might not need DrDre's tool or learning to build my own LUTs in photoshop (although I still want to learn that.)

However, for the final fight at the nuclear plant, simple color correcting the JWJL footage often will not work. For that, i've been sitting down with a nice sativa and IPA, and with a good playlist, and settling in to hours of rotoscoping work. Here's some samples:

• I wanted to add this JSJL shot that a bit more focus on the Flying Fox damage after breaking through the shield. One color correction for the whole shot can bring the shield closer to ZSJL levels, but then we lose the color of the Fox. So one layer for the ZSJL ground architecture, one layer for the red dome, one layer for the Fox itself, and one more layer for the fire from the Fox:
    stNSWkq.jpg

• Then, we have Bruce using the alarm sound to draw the parademons' attention. Here, we run into the problem again of one color correction fixing the red atmosphere, while keeping the skin tone of Bruce:
    hTm3ki3.jpg

xr2Nbyp.jpg

• Or keeping the Batmobile switches red:
    GIIozio.jpg

• Or keeping the glowing eyes of the parademons:
    3s0JcBv.jpg

xJGdkh5.jpg

So I'm in the home stretch, and I've saved the hardest sequence for last. But it should be the final major FX work on the edit - color correcting the group as the realize Bruce is "clearing the field." I've started with the easiest part- Arthur alone. This one is just three layers - background, Arthur, and Cyborg:
qm7IIhf.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how long the rest of this fx sequence will take, but be sure that progress is being made!

Last edited:
Wow, that was a painful couple weeks spend on FX work less than a minute of footage.

Initially I was rotoscoping everything, but that group sequence in red was a beast and I looked for other tools. I had tried the rotobrush in AE before but it seemed much more complicated than I needed at the time. Well, I needed it now. In typical stubborn fashion, I took the hardest way possible to learn the rotobrush in AE, redoing the same work over an over due thinking I had enough knowledge, but getting stuck and realizing I needed to learn more and start over. LOTS of starting over. But I think I have the skill down solid enough now.

This means we are, at last, in the fine tuning phase of the edit! Updated preview files should be available in the next couple days for reviewers to see the latest changes from feedback.

I'm impressed. You've come a long way these past two years!

Still iffy on the roots suddenly appearing 😆

Wow, just wow. Getting some great and SUPER in-depth notes on this edit from the always amazing @bionicbob, as well as @Bored at 3:00AM and @DirtyCop1036, thank you!!!

I've still got a little work still do be done, but we are so close!!!

I have also been starting the "Alternate Ending" with the Knightmare footage, as requested, as well as a Green Lantern credit scene as requested by @Bored at 3:00AM for their ESL classes. Initially, I was just going to insert this version I found online:

It seemed pretty janky but I could trim it up like so...

Then I wondered what I could salvage from the GL movie with Ryan Reynolds - always so much hilarious vocal content to pull for him. I started down this road but soon realized matching speech with visuals was going to be a huge challenge.

But theres still so much other footage to pull from in the GL footage, I knew I could cobble together something...

And now I'm proud to present this fun little easter egg LOL

Last edited:
And now I'm proud to present this fun little easter egg LOL

I never saw you as a professional at masking or rotoscoping until this project came about. To say this is impressive work on your part would be stating the obvious just for the sake of it. Everything about this clip is perfection incarnate! 👏

My only complaint is Kilowog. 😅

Thank you both!
Yeah, this edit is really pushing my edit skills up a few notches! This Green Lantern scene was only possible with what I had to learn to do the red sky stuff. I love how projects push me to learn! Each edit I get better and better, and the editing possibilities keep growing!!!

Fantastic work, honestly. Are you including any version of this scene in the final edit? I personally am skipping both newly filmed Affleck scenes due to him looking so small compared to the rest of the film. Even in Whedon material he's closer to Wayne size.

Ha ha oh man - Bruce's weight changes are kinda unavoidable, sadly. I've tried to adjust lighting in the overall edit so its less noticeable, but he is clearly thinner here in this scene. I'm floating the idea of just adding this after the Flash/Superman race scene Easter Egg.

After some great discussion with @bionicbob , I'm also thinking more confidently about two version of this edit - the extended cut that has everything I love in its current state, and replace the Flash/Supes race with Bruce meeting Tomar- Re; and a theatrical runtime cut which tightens up the whole edit when possible and jettisons some scenes, loses all mention of the Antilife Equation, and keeps the Flash/Supes race.

Or I just tack this on as a Post-Post Credit Scene LOL

Whoa...

I had previously debated the inclusion of the Anti-life equation with @bionicbob. I chose to keep it mainly for the benefit of adding depth to Steppenwolf's journey. For instance, the exchange when he reveals the info to Desaad also display's more of Desaad's distain for Steppenwolf, and Steppenwolf fighting for relevance.

Bob is absolutely right though - the whole Anti-Life Equation detail adds questions. If Diana didn't mention that Darkseid was already known throughout the universe, I could imagine that he was an "up and coming" oppressor. But as it is, it just doesn't make sense that he could "lose" a planet THAT important.

I was just starting in on the theatrical runtime version without the Anti-life Equation... I thought I would be taking large chunks out, full scenes like when Steppenwolf is given the vison by the motherbox of the planet's history with Darksied. BUT... I was just able to keep Earth special by still being "The World that Fought Back", as well as keeping that scene when Steppenwolf talks back to Desaad. I'm super excited, as it keeps the emotional beats I wanted, but removes the extra reason Darksied cares about Earth, besides a legendary loss and a blow to his pride... I know it is a major distraction to most viewers.

So, I'm pleased to announce that the Anti-Life Equation will be removed from both extended and theatrical runtime versions.
(This does mean I will have to work harder to get a theatrical runtime cut then LOL)

Always bugged me that Darkseid and his generals forgot about the location of the planet where they lost. I mean, they can travel across the stars, they surely have some kind of space Google Map or something.

They didn't forget the location of where they lost. He refers to Earth as the world that fought back. The 'surprise' is that the Anti-Life Equation was on Earth. The film does a poor job of portraying this, but the History Lesson flashback is just Uxas conquering 1 of another million worlds, it's not them searching for the Anti-Life.

So the timeline is 'Uxas attempts to convert Earth into another surrogate Apokalips(the Motherbox convergence we see Flash undo at the end of the film) -> Get their asses whooped by Olympian Gods, Amazons, Atlanteans, Armies of Men, Green Lantern, and more I'm sure -> Uxas surrenders the planet -> At some point, Uxas gets the Omega Force and becomes Darkseid -> Apokalips gets a call millenium later that that one planet that fought back is ready to be invaded (Lex in the Scout Ship in BvS "The Bell has been rung, and they're coming") -> Steppenwolf, who was banished thousands of years ago and is forced to provide Darkseid with '50,000 worlds', invades Earth thinking it'll be just another routine mission -> Steppy is told by the Motherboxes that the Anti-Life equation is on Earth ("It's here!" during the vision they show him) -> The League forms and kills Steppenwolf -> Darkseid now has motive to personally seek out this specific planet'

Hmmm, I'd LOVE if that timeline worked!

But thats not the impression I got from Steppenwolf and Diana's dialogue...

• Diana mentions that "As Darkseid waged war on Earth, he found a secret there. A power hidden in the infinity of space."

• Then Steph says that "Before mighty Darkseid came to the throne, he searched the universe for the ultimate weapon. The Anti-Life Equation. The key to controlling all life and all will throughout the multiverse. He found it hidden on a primitive planet" This implies Darkseid was already looking for it when they came to Earth the first time.

• Then Desaad cuts him off with "The story of the defiance is well-known." This implies the defeat is legendary, and the Anti-Life Equation is part of the legend.

To me at least, this means Darkseid knew what he lost.

Hmmm, I'd LOVE if that timeline worked!

But thats not the impression I got from Steppenwolf and Diana's dialogue...

• Diana mentions that "As Darkseid waged war on Earth, he found a secret there. A power hidden in the infinity of space."

• Then Steph says that "Before mighty Darkseid came to the throne, he searched the universe for the ultimate weapon. The Anti-Life Equation. The key to controlling all life and all will throughout the multiverse. He found it hidden on a primitive planet" This implies Darkseid was already looking for it when they came to Earth the first time.

• Then Desaad cuts him off with "The story of the defiance is well-known." This implies the defeat is legendary, and the Anti-Life Equation is part of the legend.

To me at least, this means Darkseid knew what he lost.
I agree. That is how it plays out onscreen and the implications, while confusing and make zero sense, are clear.
Young Darkseid knew he found the Anti-Life Equation on Earth but then forgot about it.
As much we comic books fans try to reconcile it and justify it, at the end of the day, it is just terrible writing lol

The full conversation

___

DeSaad: Have you finished the conquest? [this being the thousands of planets he owes to Darkseid]

Steppenwolf: Not yet, DeSaad.

DeSaad: Then why do you summon me?

Steppenwolf: I bring news. Before mighty Darkseid came to the throne [omega force], he searched the universe for the ultimate weapon; The Anti-Life Equation. The key to controlling all life and all will throughout the multiverse. He found it hidden on a primitive planet, but before... [he could harness its powers]

DeSaad: The story of the defiance is well-known.

Steppenwolf: I have found the primitive planet. The world that fought back. It is Earth. The Anti-Life Equation is carved into the surface of this very world.

DeSaad: Are you certain?

Steppenwolf: I have seen it. I have looked with my own eyes... of Anti-Life.

___

Ok, this makes no sense. Uxas was looking for the ALE (he searched the universe for the ultimate weapon...He found it hidden on a primitive planet).

He presumably attacked Earth because he was already on a war path (The world that fought back implies all others worlds did not fight back, meaning Earth was one of many conquests to find ALE and/or create more parademons).

How he came to learn the ALE was on Earth is not explained, how he knew he had picked the right planet is not explained. He seemingly figured it out during the invasion, the first time he stepped foot on Earth. But he objectively knew ALE was on Earth. (He found it hidden on a primitive planet)

He is bested by the champions of Earth, a tale that would be given a proper title, and would be easily remembered for thousands of years (The story of the defiance is well-known.)

To suspend disbelief, we have to accept that no one in Darkseid's command remembered the location of Earth (where the ALE was located, Darkseid's entire driving force), no one bothered to keep tabs on Earth (again, the planet with the ALE), and no one bothered to ask if they should return to Earth once Uxas became Darkseid.

So the narrative tells you "Darkseid found the ALE, but he lost and forgot where Earth was, and which planet Earth was all together".

It's as if Thanos knew he wanted the Infinity Stones, found the locations of each one, got bested by the 1,000,000 BC Avengers, and then proceeded to forget where the Stones were and that they could be found again by way of retracing his steps.

It's as if Vader learned Luke was on Tattooine, fought Obi-Wan and lost, returned to the Death Star, and then simply never said anything to anyone about him having a child under Obi-Wan's care, and he also forgets it was on Tattooine.

Back
Top Bottom