• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Vote for April 2013 Fanedit of the Month!

What was the best edit in April 2013?

• Jack and Jill Extended Edition by Neglify

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Fanedit by Threepkiller

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Superman III - Dangermouse Cut by Dangermouse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terminator Salvation: The T4 Cut by Agent 9

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Ridiculousness by TV's Frink

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • W.M.D. William Must Die by Curtis Mullins

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Dude, Where's My Car? More Shibby Edition by juice4z0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Shadow Strikes! by BionicBob

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .
leeroy said:
as corz says this is just a popularity contest or even worse it's being rigged.

This is a very serious allegation. What's your basis for it?

There seem to be some folks taking what amounts to a poll amongst a small community of like-minded netizens very seriously. Given Neg's tagline for his J&J edit, it's not as though there's any doubt (to me, at least) that this is a jokey extreme version of his desire to see an Extended Edition get FEOTM. Even if a bad film wins, I don't see why it's a big deal.

OTOH I'm a relative newbie to both editing and this board, so maybe I'm missing something.

Corz said:
This is obviously a popularity contest and not about what is the best edit.

Was there ever any doubt? It's a public poll. They're designed to be popularity contests. NTTAWWT.

alright, I need to chime in on this.

Are these popularity contests: mostly, they always have been. I've been here for over 6 years and the majority of contests have had a popularity component, whether it is because of the editor himself, or the film franchise. ADM for instance got a lot of immediate praise and interest in his edits simply because of the name. And his edits are not without problems. Also, how many Star Wars, Batman, blablabla edits have won over the years?

Are these rigged: ABSOLUTELY NOT. We take a lot of care to make sure that there is no foul play going on. Trust me, we see the IP addresses of who is voting, and which users they are coming from. No admin/mod/editor is beyond this scrutiny.

As long as the contests are run via public poll, there will always be a component of "popularity." Are high school class presidents elected because they are the best candidate? Does the Billboard top 40 actually contain interesting creative music? No, No. You get the point.

The annual awards go under serious review by our Academy, and those winners truly deserve their awards. The monthly polls are a fun way to get some edits on people's radars. Not that I condone an edit like Jack and Jill winning, but anyone taking these polls too seriously, or for that matter fanediting too seriously, needs to reconsider why they are here.

TV's Frink said:
Are these still available? They sound really cool!

I don't know. Fanedit.org does not link to or distribute edits. You'll have to check .info ;)

This is a very serious allegation. What's your basis for it?

i'd better ring my lawyer

listen i'm not taking this serious, no doubt most people are voting for this cause they think it'll be hilariously funny for it to win.
sure the monthly edit voting is just for fun but for me it loses credibility, and isn't the best way to encourage faneditors who may receive little to no votes.

and the question on whether it could be rigged i recall this happening last year
http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...edit-of-the-Month!/page4&highlight=lost+month

as i said earlier outsiders looking in could be scratching their heads as to why a fanedit with a low rating could win / receive so many votes

why is it a private vote anyway? why not just post who we want to vote for and then add them up at the end

Incidentally, this is not the thread for discussion on how the contest works, it's for discussion of this month's edits and how the votes are shaping up. If you want to discuss how the contest works in general terms, such as why votes are private for example, please feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate place. Thanks.

lol, I forgot about that.

Everyone just needs to step back, breath and relax.

Fan Editing is a FUN HOBBY.
We all have a mutual love of movies and storytelling
and this forum allows us to share our ideas and creations.

This forum is NOT about WINNING AWARDS.
It is about SHARING AND SUPPORTING each other.
FEOTM is not really even about Winning an Award, is just a means to bring attention to each months new releases. And based on the heated discussion, I think we have succeeded. LOL.

We are not a site of PROFESSIONALS. We are just group of dudes and dudettes who gather to share our hobby.
But we are a COMMUNITY.

We may disagree from time to time or make mistakes, but at the end of the day, I believe are are all still here to SUPPORT EACH OTHER.

We are here to share our fan edits. Yes, it is nice to be recognized, but if you are here solely to get a pat on the back or win an award, then you are doing this for all the wrong reasons and should maybe reconsider your motives for joining.

Fan editing is about having FUN.

This forum should be about having FUN.

Just my two pennies... ;)

Excellent post Bob!

If I offended anybody with any of my comments (like this one) I apologize.

So...no blowjobs then?

So all that practice for nothing? Bummer.

I would also like to praise Bob for his post, but only if he doesn't beat me. :p

TV's Frink said:
So all that practice for nothing?

on whom have you been practicing, man?
:p

bionicbob said:
We are just group of dudes and dudettes who gather to share our hobby.

there are women here?
i kid, i kid.

what throwgncpr and bionic bob said.

There does seem to be a bit of pushback here, and I can totally see where these guys concerns are coming from. Perhaps the title is wrong? If we called it "recommended by the FE community in April" that is more descriptive of what it is. It's not necessarily THE BEST, but it IS one that the community has recognised (for whatever reason, even if it is just mucking about. In retrospect, maybe J&J was a bridge too far for those who haven't been around for a loooong time?)
The title FEOTM can be misleading, perhaps? Anyway, just a suggestion for our crew of volunteer admins to consider! (Thanks guys for your efforts!)

Just voted for Attack of the Ridiculousness.

As for every FEOTM, it is not really who is the "best" fanedit but more like who get the more positive interest.

This month we can see that the (kind of) April's Fool joke: Jack And Jill Extended Edition get a lots of attention because, obviously, people find it funny if this edit ever win! (and maybe because the commentary is good fun and the fanedit is technicaly good I suppose!) It's like voting for the funny politician just for the thrill to see how far he can go :D

There are a lot of reason for a fanedit to get more attention than some others.

- Is it a well known "franchise movie"? If yes, then of course more people will watch it and so you have more chance that some audience could vote for you. The problem being, of course, that when several well known franchises are released during the month, some of them suffer from the succes of others and sometime even the audience can get bored seeing always the same movies fanedited.

- Is the goal of the fanedit appealing not only to the faneditor but to a wider audience too? The "best" fanedit of the month (meaning the fanedit that is technicaly perfect and requiered the more work, the more passion etc..) can also be a fanedit that only really speaks to his own creator.

- Do people vote for what they think is the best fanedit or what is their favorit fanedit? (not the same thing). That can change from a FEOTM contest to another. It's a kind of an adjustment variable.

- Does the faneditor already built a good "reputation"? (that helps, but also bring some little pressure to not disappoint)

- And finaly there are people (like me this month) who saw only one fanedit (shame on me) and think they should vote for it anyway because if they choose to watch this one (and of course like it enough to vote for it) then it's the expression of an interest and it should count.

Back
Top Bottom