• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Vimeo Frame Rate for 30i footage...

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now, for film-based edits, I just export at 23.976 frames per second. Simple. However, my upcoming Consecution short is primarily from a video-shot source; 60 interlaced fields per second, with some 24p film clips in there. For the DVD version, it'll be exported as 30 frame per second interlaced video. It will properly deinterlace to 60 fields per second, and the film clips will have standard 3:2 pulldown. No problem. But vimeo caps out at 30 frames per second. The way I see it, I have three options for exporting the streaming version:

• 24p with dropped fields. The film footage will retain its proper frame rate. The video footage will omit 36 fields from every second of footage. It'll look a little choppy and somewhat lacking in detail, but should still be watchable I think.
  • 30p with dropped fields. The video footage will drop half its fields. Motion should be smoother, but still lacking some detail. The film footage will have atypical frame repeats. It may look awkward.
  • 30p with blended fields. The video footage will use all fields, with each pair blended into a film-like frame. Detail will be highest, but motion will appear blurry. Film footage will be the same as in the dropped field version.
What do you all think is the best route? Is there another option I hadn't considered? I'll probably render out all three versions and compare for myself, but I would appreciate some insight from anyone with experience in this sort of thing.

wayne.workman2012 said:
60i can be converted to 30p flawlessly. That's what I'd do.

I am leaning towards one of those options, yes. I'll probably wind up going with blended fields so as to create the illusion of more movement per frame and less aliasing overall. The film footage will be a little out of whack, but there's so little of it that it really won't matter.

matrixgrindhouse said:
I am leaning towards one of those options, yes. I'll probably wind up going with blended fields so as to create the illusion of more movement per frame and less aliasing overall. The film footage will be a little out of whack, but there's so little of it that it really won't matter.

... of course, more perceived motion isn't always a good thing. The show was filmed with handheld video cameras - lots and lots of motion all the time. Blending the fields resulted in an uncomfortable nausea-inducing look. Not fun. The somewhat jagged dropped field version is much more comfortable to view.

You almost certainly mean 30i, not 60i. If you send me a sample made using the instructions in my guide, I'll see if I can suggest something. I assume all your sources are DVD.

Captain Khajiit said:
You almost certainly mean 30i, not 60i. If you send me a sample made using the instructions in my guide, I'll see if I can suggest something. I assume all your sources are DVD.

Thirty frames per second, sixty distinct fields per second. Yes, all sourced from NTSC DVDs. Thank you, Captain. I appreciate your help.

matrixgrindhouse said:
Thirty frames per second, sixty distinct fields per second.

That's 30i.

Yes, all sourced from NTSC DVDs. Thank you, Captain. I'll read through your guide later today and see what can be done. I appreciate your help.

You're welcome. Here is the relevant part of my guide. It envisages that you have demuxed the DVD with PGCDemux.

How do I make a sample?

Load your .m2v into DGIndex. Use the square brackets [ ] in the bottom right to mark out a small section, preferably one involving plenty of movement, from somewhere in the middle of your movie.

File-->Save Project and Demux Video

Upload your sample to a file host e.g. Rapidshare.

Back
Top Bottom