• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Video stream from BD is "Untranscoded" when imported in Encore

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=myriad-pro, sans-serif]Hi!

I've been creating custom discs for a personal back-up copy of a few movies. I ripped the M2TS files from the retail Blu-ray discs and imported them in Encore successfully. [/font]

[font=myriad-pro, sans-serif]However, in the case of only one particular movie, the M2TS video stream-only file shows as "Untranscoded" when imported....I tried a few things but nothing worked. I'm wondering why this specific file doesn't seem to be BD-compliant when no other showed any problem.[/font]

[font=myriad-pro, sans-serif]Here is some info on the file itself. 
[/font]

videostream.jpg

[font=myriad-pro, sans-serif]Thanks for your help![/font]

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am no expert but the frame rate is 23.976. If it's going on Blu-ray at 1080p I think it's supposed to have pulldown flags that make the file appear to be 29.97 fps. I could be wrong, but it couldn't hurt to check the frame rate listed for the video files that didn't need to be transcoded and confirm whether it matches or not. If that's not the problem (and even if it is) I'm not sure what to do to properly fix it, perhaps a more informed forum member will chime in.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Pulldown flags aren't required for BD.  

^^ Use of the term untranscoded ought not to mean that something is not BD compliant; it's odd if that's how Encore informs a user that a video stream needs to be re-encoded.  If Encore won't author a disc with that stream, then there's something about it that it doesn't like, though not something that's apparent to me from what you posted above.  Authoring programs are sometimes fussy about things that do not technically violate the BD spec.  If you can't override Encode's behavior and force it to author a disc, then you'll have to re-encode it or make do with a movie-only backup of that particular disc made using another muxer.  (Presumably, you're using Encore to make menus or something like that.)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Authoring programs are sometimes fussy about things that do not technically violate the BD spec.

QFT. I still haven't figured out the trick for DVD Architect. It's a fussy bastard. I hope that MAGIX has improved the latest version for BD authoring.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ You're welcome.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I still haven't figured out the trick for DVD Architect.

Try closing GOPs and setting b-pyramid to none and weightp to 0.
Code:
"x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate XXXXX --bluray-compat --level 4.1 --preset veryslow  --tune film --keyint 24 --sar 1:1 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --b-pyramid none --weightp 0 --colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --merange 24 --stats ".stats" --output NUL "whatever.avs"
"x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate XXXXX --bluray-compat --level 4.1 --preset veryslow  --tune film --keyint 24 --sar 1:1 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --b-pyramid none --weightp 0 --colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --merange 24 --stats ".stats" --output "whatever.264" "whatever.avs"

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks Cap'n! I'll give that a go on my next project

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have adjusted my workflow to compensate for how crap Encore is. I never use video transcoded by Encore, and I gave up trying to get it to accept a source and leave it alone. My recommendation would be to set the quality for low (for the sake of speed) and let it transcode while the BD builds. Then do a separate encode with whatever program you like at BD spec. Then replace the video file that encore made, with the better quality file using tsmuxer.

To do that:

1. Find the m2ts you want to replace the video of and open the corresponding .mpls file in Tsmuxer
2. Remove the video from the top of the tracks list.
3. Import your new video and move it to the top of the list.
4. Select bluray disk as output and build the disk.
5. Take the mpls, m2ts and clpi files from the tsmuxer created BD and replace the ones from your Encore BD.

You can use this method to replace video, audio and subs.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Authoring programs are sometimes fussy about things that do not technically violate the BD spec.  If you can't override Encode's behavior and force it to author a disc, then you'll have to re-encode it or make do with a movie-only backup of that particular disc made using another muxer.  (Presumably, you're using Encore to make menus or something like that.)

Yes I'm using Encore to make menus and consolidate every bonus feature and audio stream on one BD disc. Encore is very bad with workflow and user-friendliness. I totally get why Adobe dropped it after CS6. What worked for DVDs doesn't work with Blu-rays...

booshman said:
I have adjusted my workflow to compensate for how crap Encore is. I never use video transcoded by Encore, and I gave up trying to get it to accept a source and leave it alone. My recommendation would be to set the quality for low (for the sake of speed) and let it transcode while the BD builds. Then do a separate encode with whatever program you like at BD spec. Then replace the video file that encore made, with the better quality file using tsmuxer.

Thanks for this suggestion! I usually re-encode anything that Encore doesn't like with Premiere (often it's bonus features taken from DVDs). But I really didn't want to re-encode a complete video stream, especially one that already comes from a "real" Blu-ray.

I'll try your method, hopefully it will work!

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
booshman said:
1. Find the m2ts you want to replace the video of and open the corresponding .mpls file in Tsmuxer
5. Take the mpls, m2ts and clpi files from the tsmuxer created BD and replace the ones from your Encore BD.

I followed these steps carefully and I knew what I was doing. But unfortunately, when I preview the disc with the replaced files with Cyberlink PowerDVD, the movie doesn't play correctly.

The timeline for the movie appears, but it stays on the menu screen and there is no image nor sound...  This workflow with TSMuxer opens up some new possibilites to bypass some of Encore's limits, so I would like to know what I'm doing wrong. 

Thanks!

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thebutcher said:
booshman said:

I followed these steps carefully and I knew what I was doing. But unfortunately, when I preview the disc with the replaced files with Cyberlink PowerDVD, the movie doesn't play correctly.

The timeline for the movie appears, but it stays on the menu screen and there is no image nor sound...  This workflow with TSMuxer opens up some new possibilites to bypass some of Encore's limits, so I would like to know what I'm doing wrong. 

Thanks!
I'm not sure exactly what the issue could be. I know there can be issues if you have a pop up menu, for that you need to keep either the original clpi, or mpls (I forget which), to avoid the video displaying as a black screen.

My original idea for replacing streams on the bluray I got from reading this guide for subtitles. Have a look and see if there is something that might help you with your workflow.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=150511

Top Bottom