• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Video filters and Womble alternatives

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am currently working on a project in my free time useing "ADigitalMan's Guide to MPEG2/AC3 Editing" as a guide, while working in Womble MPEG Video Wizard, i decided that the movie would benefit from me makeing some scenes visually darker... or a lot of scenes...

anyways i turned on the brightness filter and was happy with the results, dark rooms were actually dark :grin:

i decided to encode a 4 minute test clip and see how it would look, and well... it looked ok.. but not all that great and worst of all was the 4 minute clip took 50 minutes to encode.

can anyone suggest a program that i could use to apply a brightness filter that can encode faster or a least higher video quality output?

the video file i am useing is currently mv2, should i make it a avi in order to use filters? if so please feel free to talk to me like a child and help me understand the process..

thanks for your help

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
womble is not designed for that. It has still a kind of crappy encoder, but it has terriffic smart rendering.
My suggestion: Make a smart rendering encode with womble for best possible image quality.
Then load your m2v file into virtual dub mpeg2. Aplly all the filters you want there. Start the frmaeserver.
Use either tmpgenc or CCE to encode (probably best to SL). Use a bitrate calculater to get the settings for the vbr. CCE is fastest. tmpgenc is much easier to use, but slow. Though not as slow as you descriobed womble to be.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok awesome

thanks a bunch boon :)

if i get lost ill bump this thread and beg for more help :smile:

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nobody else notices compression artifacts galore when you apply a filter (or even fade) with Womble? I would be color-correcting stuff if it didn't turn out like crap, but it does. Is there a setting I need to change from default?

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I get strange vertical artifacting, it's hard to describe. It's like vertical "blah" + a little space, then more vertical "blah" from left to right... maybe every 2 seconds? I can't explain it, but it's noticeable on playback of the output file. That only happens if you re-encode (and if you don't re-encode, your transitions and edits will crap on you, pixilate, etc)... basically, yes, I too notice the artifacting. :p

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i have another question about womble..

another member of these boards posted a while back that you could set up some crossfades useing the two tracks in womble, just overlaping the audio.

i tested this and it worked fantastic, sounded good was fairly easy to do,

i just exported the audio twice, one ac3 5.1 and another ac3 stereo.. now here is the problem, the 5.1 sounds perfect but since i have no way of testing it, i would rather not use it, the 2.0 sounds awful.. each track exported to a different speacker.. for 10 minutes all the sounds goes to my right earphone then the next 4 all goes to my left earphone

is ther anyway to get womble to export each track in stereo so the results sound like the preview?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maybe you need to change to stereo before, using a different software like headac3he

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
maybe you need to change to stereo before, using a different software like headac3he

ok thanks ill give that a try, it will be way easier to try rebuilding the crossfades in womble then vegas

Top Bottom