• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

video capture card locking system

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The god's really just don't want me converting my old vhs tapes to dvd's. My newest problem I am working on capping a video and for some reason my system keeps locking up. My cpu is only running at 42 degrees celcius. Plenty of hard drive space and I am running the newest driver for the card as well. It never happens after the same amount of time either sometimes after only 5 minutes of capping and sometimes after 30 minutes. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what to possibly try to get the system to stop locking up. the specs on my systems are an amd athlon 2400xp, 512mb ram. My system just locks up and i have to physically hit the shut down button to shut the machine off.

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what software are you using to capture,I used scenalyzer on all my VHS and Laserdiscs,but when I was at 512mb ram it wasnt running very well,since I have jumped to 2 GB's ram and 2 250 GB hard drives,I have a pentium IV at 3.2ghz,once I did all that I could capture great without any dropped frames or freeze ups.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i was using virtualdub (i tried version 1.4, 1.6 and mpeg2) for capping my vhs tapes. the cpu runs at 1.9ghz i have 512mb ram and I have 1.06tb of hard drive space (plenty of hard drive space). Maybe i need to make the jump to a new computer finally.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i would personally suggest a different capture program, in my few attempts at backing up my Vhs tapes, i never could get virtualdub to work but when i tried ulead, it worked wonders.. and the computer i was useing at the times was 500Mhz, 128 ram and 20gigz... so your current computer should have more then enough strength to get a capyure going

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep, ulead capture is great, I only used for digital video, but there it was really great and reliable.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is part of the ulead media studio pro package.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well i now know what my project for tonight is get and learn mediastudio. It is really weird about virtualdub though it capped 45 minutes from one tape perfectly fine but then after that any tape i put in it would lock the whole machine up before it finished the cap.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
for capturing you don't need to learn ulead MSP. You just start the capture tool, fit the settings to what you want and off you go. It is a seperate program.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
does ulead also have capability to encode as well. When i was doing raw caps in vdub my files were about 7gb for 45 minutes of video ( i was using huffyuv). Technically i would like to end with each 45 minute concert at around 700mb xvid (or divx).

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Capture will encode to DV avi probably. From there you can encode to whatever format, using Ulead MSP or whatever (though I think virtual dub might do a better job creating an avi to your exact liking, especially because you migth want to use some filters).

Top Bottom