• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

vhs transfer

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i was thinking of transfer a video tape to my pc what cables would i need what software to capture the video and best software to convert it to dvd and some tips to do this...

thanks

for a vhs transfer first you need a video capture card. that is how you connect the vcr to the computer. For programs some people use virtualdub but i had problems with it so i started using ulead instead. As for converting to dvd take your pick of programs. How in depth of a dvd do you want to create.

where do you get a video capture card,the best qualty dvd has possible ive got ulead

For capture cards i have not seen all that much difference. I use a cheap $20 kworld vid capture card and it has been very solid for me. For my video caps i have been capping the video in ulead. Then running the filters on it in virtualdub, then just authoring the dvd in dvd lab pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815100120

that is the card i use. It is very basic for just normal vid caps. You might get better video if you go with a $300 model but i doubt much. One thing i noticed as well. The quality of cables you use does make a different as well.

i have had a horrible time with my ATI tv-tuner card (internal). I have read that external devices work better. Not sure what others think. My card records TV fine, but VCR connection has not worked for me no matter what cables or software I use. I may have to give that card you suggested a try, nex

i used to have an ati all in wonder 8500dv back in the day. The quality when pulling in from the vcr sucked a bit. Two of the biggest things i think are the vcr and the cables. I first tried an old vcr and the quality was REALLY bad, then i borrowed my parents new vcr and the quality shot up 110%. I also switched over to some monster rca cables i had lying around and i could swear i noticed some video improvement as well. Also one little tip about that card. Make sure to only use it for video. for audio i go from my vcr directly to the line in on my sound card. You get the best possible audio this way.

yeah i found out about the audio. i just go straight to line in for that. I will have to try some other VCRs. I have tried using a signal booster to beef up the signal, but that did not improve my results at all

I am using a (i think) panasonic, dvd-vcr combo that is about 3 years old and i get pretty decent results. Also one other this to remember no matter how good of a vid cap card, vcr, or cables you have. If the vhs tape is garbage then your final result will be garbage. I have run into a couple of my old tapes where the quality has degraded so much over time only a real fanwould be willing to watch some of it.

Back
Top Bottom