• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

VFX/Editing/Compositing Magazine ?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys,

another question.
You've got magazines like SFX, Total Film, Empire, etc that deal with the (finished) feature film side of the business, and you've got 3D World for 3D art, and several Photoshop magazines that teach you those skills.
But I'm looking for a magazine that has tips, tricks, tutorials etc for After Effects, Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro.

Does anyone know of a magazine that does that?

P040.Computer.Arts.Main.png

?

I'd also recommend videocopilot.net, creativecow.net, mamoworld.com, and cgi.tutsplus.com. All feature lots of free tutorials. If you would like to get a quick idea of some of the things they cover, check out the Box o' Tutorials link in my sig; many of the tutorials I have linked to are from these sites and others like them. BTW, I do plan to update the Box as soon as I have some time...

Thanks guys! Already frequent VCP, tutsplus, lots of youtube channels. I'll take a look at Computer Arts, thanks [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION]!! :)

Best After Effects tutos: Videocopilot, indeed.

All I learned for my War of the Stars II fanedit I got it from there.

TMBTM said:
Best After Effects tutos: Videocopilot, indeed.

All I learned for my War of the Stars II fanedit I got it from there.

REALLY? Your work on WotS2 was fantastic. What about Alien-Ate? Did you learn those effects from there as well?
Mind shooting me a PM on what tutorials you used more specifically?

There are not really specific tutorials that I used (except of course the lightsaber ones! - by the way, don't forget to download the free effects that are given to you before you follow the tutorials)

But if you follow those tutorials step by step, starting from the easiest (those at the bottom of the page) to more difficult ones, then you basicaly learn the main tools to make your own special effects.
After Effects is a bit like photoshop, there is not always one button to do this and one button to do that. Sometime it's more like "Hey, if I use this effect combined with this one it should make something interesting!". But this is possible only after learning the basis.

I also like videocopilot a lot because the teacher is very clear, sometime quite funny but not at the expense of the lesson, and the quality of the video is crystal clear. Like if you had your software opened in front of you.
He is also working for movies sometime. He made a plugin to create planets that he uses for the ending credits of Star Trek into Darkness. So basicaly: the guy knows what he's doing.
Of course he's also trying to make you buy his plugins and effect stuffs, but hey, he gives you so much with those tutorials!

And no, he did not pay me to tell you this! ;)

That's true, great lessons and easy to follow.

He also did the intro for Fringe! :)

Back
Top Bottom