• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vegas Pro issues and crashes

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Used handbrake to turn the video into a lossless MP4.

My guess is that the error occurred at this stage. As previously mentioned, I recommend that you do not edit an MP4, which presumably contains AVC video.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
The Scribbling Man said:
Used handbrake to turn the video into a lossless MP4.

My guess is that the error occurred at this stage. As previously mentioned, I recommend that you do not edit an MP4, which presumably contains AVC video.

I'm aware now that that may not have been the best way to do it, but the edit is done, and I don't particularly want to start from scratch. Right now the only issue is working out how to fix the aspect ratio, which must be doable. 

The resolution looks almost right when I put in 720x380, and there must be a reason for that. But I'd like to get the resolution bang on so it's not stretching at all. Is it something to do with the black bars? How do I know whether they are part of the video or being added? Do I need to mask or crop them out?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Right now the only issue is working out how to fix the aspect ratio, which must be doable.

Why do you think it must be doable?  If the video was incorrectly resized at the Handbrake stage, then that resizing is "baked in".  It's possible to resize the video again, of course, but resizing the video and then resizing it back is not a good idea as far as quality is concerned. You'll have two sets of (unnecessary) resizing artifacts.

If you can make a sample of your MP4 and send it to me, I'll try to see if I can work out if it is the source of the problem. At present, there are two stages at which the error might have been introduced, and it's difficult to work out which is the culprit.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
The Scribbling Man said:
Right now the only issue is working out how to fix the aspect ratio, which must be doable.

Why do you think it must be doable?  If the video was incorrectly resized at the Handbrake stage, then that resizing is "baked in".  It's possible to resize the video again, of course, but resizing the video and then resizing it back is not a good idea as far as quality is concerned. You'll have two sets of (unnecessary) resizing artifacts.

If you can make a sample of your MP4 and send it to me, I'll try to see if I can work out if it is the source of the problem. At present, there are two stages at which the error might have been introduced, and it's difficult to work out which is the culprit.

Thank you. 

I'm not sure I fully understand though - I think it's doable because I didn't get handbrake to resize it. The dimensions are exactly the same on the mp4 as they are if I check the properties of the VOB. If I play the lossless MP4, it's the correct aspect ratio. Maybe I'm being an idiot here, but I just don't get why it would then be a problem getting the same aspect ratio when rendering at the same dimensions yet again. It shouldn't be stretching it. 

I'll try and send you a clip - what's the best way of getting a sample? I'm not sure I know how to do that without putting the file through editing software, which I imagine is counter productive.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please see my comments in the Die Hard thread about Pixel Aspect Ratio vs. Display Aspect Ratio. VOBs do not contain square pixel aspect ratios, while most MP4s do. I.e, DVD video (both fullscreen and widescreen) morphs upon playback to a 4:3 or 16:9 Display Aspect Ratio.

I strongly suggest getting a proper source to work with instead of trying to patch your output.

JEDIT: link added

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Please see my comments in the Die Hard thread about Pixel Aspect Ratio vs. Display Aspect Ratio. VOBs do not contain square pixel aspect ratios, while most MP4s do. I.e, DVD video (both fullscreen and widescreen) morphs upon playback to a 4:3 or 16:9 Display Aspect Ratio.

I strongly suggest getting a proper source to work with instead of trying to patch your output.

JEDIT: link added

Thanks. I think I get it, just not entirely sure how to apply the knowledge. I'll definitely try and follow @"Captain Khajiit" 's tutorial for future edits. 

Just out of curiosity, is VOB not an ok source? I get that when it's in chunks that's not ideal. But for Gill-man I used a single VOB for the source and after applying TM2YC's recommended render/compression settings the result looked and sounded as good as the DVD as far as I can tell. 

Also, I did initially try using PGC demuxer for this current edit, but whenever I've tried to it demuxes the audio just fine but only a small chunk of the video stream. That generally seems to be the case with every DVD I've tried.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldn't work directly with the VOB. You should demux with PGC demuxer. If you are having issues with proper extraction, make sure there are no copy protection issues still on your DVD files.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
I'm not sure I fully understand though - I think it's doable because I didn't get handbrake to resize it.

You might have resized it inadvertently.  See the answer that Throw's just given you.

I'll try and send you a clip - what's the best way of getting a sample? I'm not sure I know how to do that without putting the file through editing software, which I imagine is counter productive.

DGIndexNV is the only tool that I know that can reliably make a sample from an MP4.  I'm guessing that you don't have that, because it's commercial software. I think there might be a version included with MeGUI that you can access.

But this is possibly academic anyway.  I completely agree with Throw's recommendation. You need to get better source files from which to work.

EDIT:

The Scribbling Man said:
Also, I did initially try using PGC demuxer for this current edit, but whenever I've tried to it demuxes the audio just fine but only a small chunk of the video stream. That generally seems to be the case with every DVD I've tried.

In that case, you are doing something wrong. Open each IFO in turn until you have the one that matches the runtime of your movie.  Make sure that under Domain you have the radio button for Title checked, not Menu.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you to everyone who's offered advice and suggestions. I think I know what to do now. The crash was being caused by the BCC Plugin, which I've now reinstalled.

Aspect ratio issue was in fact due to the wrong pixel aspect ratio. However, even though the quality is fine, it's not on par with the DVD and I don't want to release something that is second rate; so I've taken up advice and replaced my source. It's now a lossless Lagarith AVI, which is also what I'll be rendering to. Thankfully, this is a relatively light fanedit, so it shouldn't take me too long to redo the work.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've just started experimenting with Vegas Pro 15 Edit, and after I export a video, I sometimes get some glitches. There are small flashing lines across the very top of the screen, and videos don't play properly in programs like VLC (they play extremely slowly and in a jerky manner). Restarting Windows fixes the problem. I assume that the glitches have something to do with my video card (an AMD Radeon HD 7480D). Does anyone know if there's a way to avoid this problem?

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm afraid this is more of a rant than a solution. Vegas pro is just a nightmare to work with these days. They really need to sort out the bugs and freezes and crashes over at the Magix office. I lost a complete days work yesterday on one of my edits. i carried out all the common sense actions - save file every 5 mins CTRL & S. Nothing renders i just get the dreaded blue doughnut wheel of death....really frustrating.

I am a man with not a lot of spare time on my hands due to dealing with a full time job and family - so my precious relaxation time is doing this little hobby of mine - fanediting. I spend hours conjuring up ideas for edits and then when i have the time i love putting them ideas to the time lines but then good ole Vegas flips me the bird and gives me the ache for the rest of the weekend ...grrrr. If i had plenty of spare time then i suppose it wouldn't bother me so much but i don't. I just want to get on with it.

I never used to have these problems back when i was learning using movie studio...it seems to have started since i upgraded to pro. I had my edit completed yesterday after a battle with all the crashes and freezes ...then when i finally hit render...nothing happened...just the wheel of death again.

I have looked at all the solutions on youtube and movie zen etc but none of them have worked. It really is frustrating.

I have a top graphics card and 16GB of Ram so its not my PC. Anyway i thought i'd have a rant ....im off to do some yoga  :) to try and chill these bones.

If any of my Vegas friends on here have a solution then i'd love to know. I'm not sure what to do now i have wasted so much time i think i'll have to take a break from editing for a while...its just not worth the stress...im at the time of my life when the heart my give way  :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could you provide more specifics on your machine and which version of Vegas you are running?

I've been using Vegas Pro for more than a decade and have had few issues. That said, I'm still on version 13 at the moment

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Could you provide more specifics on your machine and which version of Vegas you are running?

I've been using Vegas Pro for more than a decade and have had few issues. That said, I'm still on version 13 at the moment

Thanks for your reply ThrowgnCpr

I have 16gb Ram - im not sure what brand - is there away i can find this on my PC? Intel Rapid storage i5 or i7

I also have a Kingston SSD 224GB Hard drive plus a normal WD 1TB SATA hardrive

My graphics card is an NVIDIA physx GeForce GTX770

Im using the latest build Vegas Pro 15

Thanks

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I assume you are running Windows 10? My guess is that there is a conflict with your graphics card and Vegas. A few more questions to help diagnose:

Is NVIDIA running any streaming services in the background? A quick google search for issues related to the video card revealed a lot of crashing for various games/software.

What are your project settings and render settings? 

Do you have GPU acceleration turned on in the Preferences?

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

Thanks for your reply ThrowgnCpr

I have 16gb Ram - im not sure what brand - is there away i can find this on my PC? Intel Rapid storage i5 or i7

I also have a Kingston SSD 224GB Hard drive plus a normal WD 1TB SATA hardrive

My graphics card is an NVIDIA physx GeForce GTX770

Im using the latest build Vegas Pro 15

Thanks

To further my last message i have 

INTEL (R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
64-bit operating system x 64- processor

i am using windows 8.1

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks, but my suspicion is that there are video card conflicts at play here.

Also, threads merged.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
thanks, but my suspicion is that there are video card conflicts at play here.

Also, threads merged.

Thanks for the merge. 

I have used both settings GPU on and off and they both dont seem to want to play. I am not running any other streaming service.

I have just re-downloaded Movie Studio 14 and that doesn't want to render either. My render setting for video are 

Video: 23.976 fps, 1920x1080 Progressive, YUV, 25 Mbps
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000
Elementary Stream
Multifile

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How many elements are in your project file? What sizes are those elements? I've noticed that Vegas struggles with hi res components that are layered on top of eachother.

Do you use undo a lot? The majority of the freezes I encounter are because I either click on the undo drop down button (almost always freezes) or I hold down ctrl+z for a while.

Do you utilize the auto save files when it crashes (different than your save files)? These are titled auotsave(some random numbers).veg or bat . Using them has saved me hours of work at times.

I remeber Windows 8.1 not liking Vegas when I had it. Have you adjused the ram usage in the preferences? There's a developer menu that I used to have to use to reallocate ram, but I think that has been taken care of with the recent versions allowing more ram access in x64 machines.

What exactly is happening when the program freezes?

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm starting to be glad I never upgraded Vegas past movie studio HD Platinum 11.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
I'm starting to be glad I never upgraded Vegas past movie studio HD Platinum 11.

There have been substantial upgrades since movie studio 11, especially when considering the move to Pro, so your point is rather silly.

In the last version or two, there have been some conflicts with hardware, but this is as much the fault with hardware/OS configurations as it is with Vegas.

To expand on Dig's questions, we need some more info. Do you have VST or external plugins installed? What plugins are you using in this particular project? When exactly does the crash occur, and can you provide screenshots of the crash message?

Screenshots of your Vegas Preferences (video tab), project settings, and render settings will all be informative for us to diagnose your problem.

Top Bottom