• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vegas Pro issues and crashes

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH 

Crashed at 17% - again (despite altering aspect ratio)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't use Vegas, so I'm sadly no help, but, wish you luck on fixing this, and the upcoming edit. :)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
I don't use Vegas, so I'm sadly no help, but, wish you luck on fixing this, and the upcoming edit. :)

Thanks! 

Currently trying to render it as an MP4, purely to see if it's to do with the lagarith codec or not.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now attempting to render in Vegas 14, which I bought for £15 at Humble Bundle. For that price it made sense to upgrade, but maybe as a bonus it'll stop the crashes (if it's a bug). Otherwise I'll try reinstalling my graphics drivers.

First look, the rendering time is definitely much improved.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nope same exact problem. Must be either my hardware or something off on the project. I did update my graphics drivers recently, but I'll try reinstalling them.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's probably a driver issue as has been suggested but have you had a close look at your timeline around about 17% in to the project to see if you have any FX, or filters (or anything unusual) that is causing the render to stop at that point? On that subject... try creating a new project timeline with a new and different file of some sort and try to render that out. Does it also crash?

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
It's probably a driver issue as has been suggested but have you had a close look at your timeline around about 17% in to the project to see if you have any FX, or filters (or anything unusual) that is causing the render to stop at that point? On that subject... try creating a new project timeline with a new and different file of some sort and try to render that out. Does it also crash?

Just reinstalled drivers, restarted computer, disabled resample and am rendering yet again. Trying anything that will help. I did render the timeline around 17% earlier and there were no issues - its also on a spot that has absolutely no cuts or edits or anything (bar some colour correction that's been applied to the entire project).

Maybe I'm being stupid here, but wouldn't it be strange if it was a graphics driver issue when I'm rendering using CPU?

Edit: Don't know if this is a clue at all. But it always stopped at 12%, and now always stops at 17% since I tried copying everything into a new project.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nope. Crashed again.

Think I'm just about ready to cry. Going to leave it for a bit and chill in front of a film. Lick my wounds.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Took a break, drank a beer and watched King Kong. 

Turned off BCC colour correction and the render completed absolutely fine. 

So that solves one issue. I can live without the colour correction for this edit, but I'd like to make use of it in the future without worrying about the program crashing. Any ideas as to why this could be? Is it just too much for my computer to process maybe?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You say that you are rendering to Lagarith from Vegas, but what did you import into Vegas?  Did you convert your source files to a lossless AVI before editing?  I don't know why your source video is 720*389, but it shouldn't be: using an odd number is not a good idea for video and might cause problems.  Keep it at its original resolution.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Captain Khajiit" - I used handbrake to make it into a lossless MP4. No option for AVI on that - is there a program you'd suggest? Just would rather not use the DVD VOB as it really slows vegas down. 

I was using the original res, but the render wasn't coming out right so I adjusted it slightly to keep it from cutting off at the top. But I'm currently  rendering at 720x480, which someone suggested.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My decoding guide has instructions as to how to demux the DVD and convert it to a lossless AVI.  Editing a delivery format (AVC) is inadvisable.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
My decoding guide has instructions as to how to demux the DVD and convert it to a lossless AVI.  Editing a delivery format (AVC) is inadvisable.

OK, thanks!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you have a processor with Hyperthreading?  Vegas used to crash during renders all the time before I disabled Hyperthreading in BIOS altogether.  Just about everything (games, etc) wound up running with more stability, for that matter.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Do you have a processor with Hyperthreading?  Vegas used to crash during renders all the time before I disabled Hyperthreading in BIOS altogether.  Just about everything (games, etc) wound up running with more stability, for that matter.

I actually have no idea what that is. How do I find out and try disabling it?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What kind of processor do you have?  Right click "my computer", select properties. the processor name and model number should be there.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, peeps. Definitely going insane now. I can render it without crashing if I turn colour correction off, but now it won't stop rendering with a 4:3 aspect ratio - regardless of what project or render settings. I've tried disabling/enabling resample, ticking and unticking "adjust source to match project settings" and I don't get what I'm doing wrong. 

DVD is PAL. 1.85:1 wide-screen format. Used handbrake to turn the video into a lossless MP4. And it's now in vegas. Source file looks fine. 

Source and project settings currently:

Screenshot_2017_12_16_22_29_05.png

Render settings:

Screenshot_2017_12_16_22_36_51.png

Result:

Screenshot_2017_12_16_22_39_16.png

Source:

Screenshot_2017_12_16_22_41_04.png

What on earth am I doing wrong? 

matrixgrindhouse said:
What kind of processor do you have?  Right click "my computer", select properties. the processor name and model number should be there.

Intel Pentium CPU G620 @2.60GHzI

I noticed that lagarith codec settings give the option of using multi threading... Is that the same thing? I tried unselecting it, but it still crashed when I rendered with colour correction on.

Top Bottom