• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

VEGAS PRO: Import & Export Subtitles/Captions (.srt) files

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a quick guide on how to import and export srt files into your Vegas Pro project timelines.

Tools Needed
CCExtractor: https://www.videohelp.com/software/ccextractor
Vegas Pro

EXTRACT
  1. Open CCExtractor GUI
  2. Click on "Basic Settings" and set output file format to srt
  3. Click "Dashboard"
  4. Click on "Add More Files" and select the movie file you want to extract the srt file from
  5. Click on "Start All" this will analyze the file and produce the srt file
  6. Navigate to the folder the source file was in and you should see the srt file
IMPORT
  1. Open Vegas Pro and drop in your movie file
  2. Click "Insert" > "Insert Subtitles From File"
  3. Click "Browse" and select your srt file
  4. Press "OK" and Vegas will import the srt file as text on a new subtitle track
EXPORT
  1. Click on "Tools" > "Scripting" > "Export Closed Captioning for Youtube"
  2. Save srt file to project folder (probably want to put in a master render folder)

RESOURCES

CAUTION
With Vegas turning the srt file into separate subtitle text files for each entry, this creates hundreds if not a couple thousand individual text files. This unfortunately causes a significant resource drain :(
Best bet might be to edit, then import the file and move the subtitles to the new corrected positions. If you have a beast of a computer it might not be an issue.

Good to learn there's a way to import subtitles in Vegas! The text file per entry sounds impractical though.

As an alternative: I've used Subtitle Edit for years. It extract subtitles from source files and has almost no learning curve. The finished subs export as an .SRT file, which you can then import into Vegas. It does mean you'll have to render in Vegas once before you make subs: import that file into Subtitle Edit, to manually match the timing. Then import the SRT into Vegas and render a second time, now with the subs included (or use any mkv muxer for that).

CAUTION
With Vegas turning the srt file into separate subtitle text files for each entry, this creates hundreds if not a couple thousand individual text files. This unfortunately causes a significant resource drain :(
Best bet might be to edit, then import the file and move the subtitles to the new corrected positions. If you have a beast of a computer it might not be an issue.
I was going to ask if I have to manually move each subtitle entry around, but that would be redundant. Guess my best bet is to edit, then adjust the text files accordingly. 😅

I was going to ask if I have to manually move each subtitle entry around, but that would be redundant. Guess my best bet is to edit, then adjust the text files accordingly. 😅
If you group all the time line events and turn on auto ripple, everything will adjust together.

Last edited:
You could say that.
Feel free to ask a question if you don't understand. You can group timeline items together. Select them by holding shift and clicking on items or Ctrl+a to select all, then press g to group them. Next select auto ripple and when you make a cut everything will move together.

Feel free to ask a question if you don't understand. You can group timeline items together. Select them by holding shift and clicking on items or Ctrl+a to select all, then press g to group them. Next select auto ripple and when you make a cut everything will move together.
Cheers for the tip! 😁

Back
Top Bottom