• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Vegas is FINALLY 64-bit

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i know vista sucks... but this just might be enough to make me change (supposing this won't work on xp 64-bit).

http://www.uwdv.com/sony-announces-tech ... 64bit.html

vegas is going to release a native 64-bit version... which will be supported on vista 64-bit running AMD 64-bit processors..... in the long run that will mean a huge leap in power. with 32-bit systems you can only run a max of 4gb of ram..... with this system... the limit is 128gb..... how about running a quad-core system with 16gb of ram?? ;) oh yeah.... not released yet, but supposed to be released by the end of 2007. i even wrote them an email last year or early this year, asking if this was coming, and basically told them i had no interest upgrading my vegas until a 64-bit version came out.... and it looks like it's getting close to time ;)

most of you won't be excited... but this is exciting to me... as a filmmaker this would make it much easier to edit in HD... and editing in general will be much easier with access to large amounts of ram.

and of course for fanedits... this rocks as well... anything that helps me in editing helps me in fanediting..... and this would be a good way to fanedit in high def..... supposing they release a way to burn discs in high def sometime soon.

anyway, enough of my stupid rambling...

thats pretty cool. i dont see me playing with anything this fun for a long time, but cool, nonetheless

Hey Lewis, based on your enthusiasm, I assume you are a current user of Vegas??? I am about ready to pull the trigger on Vegas+DVD. I can't do FCP because my Mac is decked out for Pro Tools 48 Track Recording Studio. So I bought a PC for editing and have been playing around with dif NLE's. I will be doing some fan edits for sure. I know Vegas will let me manipulate existing 5.1 soundtracks and spit them back out in 5.1.

But, like yourself, I will be using it for film projects as well, most notably, I am in the planning stages for a documentary on "Mama" Lupita Carmona who started an orphanage in her home in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico with 4 abandoned little girls (all sisters). Now All four have gone on to college and/or married with successful careers and lives and Mama Lupita's orphanage, Casa Hogar Elim, is home to over 100 kids. It's a very inspiring story and she is a very inspiring lady.

Wow, where did that come from? Anyway, I am excited about the project and really want to know if you think Vegas would be good for me. I will be using a consumer AVCHD camcorders, pro-sumer DV and old video tapes.

Don't get me wrong, I also plan on doing my own Star Wars, de-Jar Jar'ed movies like everyone else on here. ;)

Thanks!

I might add, I have a Vista dual 64 so should I hold off for the newer version, or is Sony pretty good about reasonable upgrades??

is your version of Vista 64-bit? you obviously have to be running a 64-bit version of Vista to run Vegas 64-bit... not JUST running on a 64-bit processor.
if you're not running a 64-bit version of vista... i'd go for the regular version 7. works very well.... they do give big breaks on upgrades though.

and yes, i highly recommend Vegas to anyone doing film projects. i personally think it's the most intuitive NLE i've seen... and still incredibly powerful.

vegas can handle HD.. but you'll have to check their website for more info on that... i don't have the latest version, nor am i using HD yet...so not up on that.

if you get it... definitely go thru all the tutorials... they are very helpful.... and it has great audio tools as well (not surprising considering it started out as an audio multitrack program)...

I have 64 bit Vista Ultimate. I am planning to add 2 more gigs of memory (for a total of 4) and I may look into another graphics card for dual monitor support. I have two monitors on my Pro Tools system and it is niiiiiice. As for the audio tools, that is great seeing as my forte is with Pro Tools. Thanks.

well... i emailed sony's support.... they said they aren't quite done with vegas 64-bit... but it is currently being beta tested by employees away from the office.... which they said is the final testing stage.... i guess that's a good sign... maybe 2nd or 3rd quarter then? who knows i'm looking forward to it though...

well.... in one of the weirdest marketing decisions i've ever seen....
Vegas 64-bit is finally out....

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/64bit

instead of a big marketing campaign to let the editing world know that
native 64-bit editing is finally here.... sony has, oddly enough, instead
chosen to release the new 64-bit version of vegas as a "upgrade" to
Vegas Pro 8. it's called the "8.1 update"..... why? i have no idea....
but that's the deal.... it's a free update for anyone who already has
Vegas Pro 8.

obviously you have to be running a 64-bit system... and it requires Vista...
so you need to be running a 64-bit version of Vista.... AND they told me
that if you are already running Vegas Pro 8 on your 64-bit system, you would
need to uninstall the normal 32-bit version of vegas before you install the 64-bit
version. however... if you have a 32-bit system AND a 64-bit system, you could
have them both up... and you could take the project back and forth between
the two (somehow) so that you could still take advantage of the 32-bit version's
large plugins/codecs/hardware support. not sure how exactly that works... but still.

let us all rejoice.... the era of 64-bit editing has officially arrived ;)

just as a test... i went on Dell's website and priced my dream machine... a 64-bit
workstation with dual 3.16GHZ quad-core processors, 32GB OF RAM!!!!, three
160GB SATA 10k-RPM hard drives, and dual 24in monitors.... and about everything
else i could find.... yeah, it came to about $16,500 lol :lol: :lol:

I do that every now and then :smile: and it still comes cheaper if you build it yourself

lewis886 said:
just as a test... i went on Dell's website and priced my dream machine... a 64-bit workstation with dual 3.16GHZ quad-core processors, 32GB OF RAM!!!!, three
160GB SATA 10k-RPM hard drives, and dual 24in monitors.... and about everything
else i could find.... yeah, it came to about $16,500 lol :lol: :lol:

i started a dance of joy.... and then I saw that price tag. let the weeping begin.

why were you doing the dance of joy for my price test dell machine? lol

what version of vegas do you have, throw?

nah, i was doing the dance of joy for the idea of Vegas 64 bit. Then I saw how much your dream machine would cost, and it killed the moment, lol

I'm running Vegas 7 on good old-fashioned Windows XP

well... i wouldn't think you'd need it yet.... but in case you do.... or when you do....
here's a special on tigerdirect.... is an upgrade to vegas 8 pro for only $129.
(the regular update for Vegas on sony's website is $235, & works for all versions).
it only works if you have vegas 6 or above, so i can't use it... but it would
work for you.... and you would then get vegas 64..... supposing you ever switch
over to a 64-bit computer running Vista 64 bit ;) hehe

EDIT (url fixed)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3438420&CatId=998

lol and don't worry... when i switch over to 64-bit... i'll build a machine for a heck of a lot
cheaper than that dell one.... but it was a lot of fun to just go thru and add almost everything
i could find ;) haha

Back
Top Bottom