• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vegas Crashing Tips, Tricks & Counts

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been using Vegas for probably a decade now. I've tried out a number of other NLE's and ultimately ended up with Vegas due to it being the easiest audio editing platform for editing and creating surround track files and edits. Now, it's no secret that Vegas crashes......a lot. Like crash test dummies a lot. SO......I thought I'd share some tips and tricks I've found in how to deal with or avoid crashes as much as possible. Feel free to share your crash deterrent and survival tips too.
Buckle up tight, and here we go....
No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first thing I would recommend is to make sure that your OS hard drive has plenty of space. On my personal setup, there seems to be a correlation between free space and crashes. Not sure why.

Another tip, edit all of your video and audio cuts FIRST. THEN apply your fx/sfx to your tracks.

Keep a low number of video tracks. The more video tracks you have the more likely you will experience a crash. This increases exponentially if you are applying vfx to your video tracks.

When editing audio, use the undo function sparingly. If you can undo what you did manually, do that before using the undo button/ctrl+z

If your video freezes but you can still hear the audio playing, immediately save your project BEFORE pressing stop/pause or clicking on the timeline. This will save your project before the inevitable crash that will occur the second you push the stop button.

Save often.

Last edited:

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's really frustrating how horrifically unstable Vegas is, because aside from that it's a truly excellent program.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I was experiencing literally hundreds of crashes when working on my last project. There was even a moment, it crashed automatically every time after load a file, which worked fine before and I had to reinstall program to make it work again.

Also, when something weird start to happen on video preview, or pan&crop preview (red frames flashing, video jumping) save immediately, because it will crash any second.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today I'm currently up to about 12 crashes........
Most of them are due to the "undo" function.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched a few youtube tutorials and messed with some "internal" developer settings and I've only had ONE crash so far today :)
The crash appears to be due to memory. I allocated a larger amount (1/3 of my ram) to the video preview and didn't realize that I had chrome on with 30+ taba inteh background......oops.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Chrome definitely contributes to my vegas crashes, and I have a bad habit of leaving lots of tabs open. I do normally have vegas allocated more ram but I don't think i've applied that setting since upgrading to Vegas 16.... maybe I should do that. It was crashing every couple of minutes yesterday. Driving me nuts.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone else having random issues where frames just drop out? I've pretty much stopped editing due to this ongoing issue. I've spent tons of hours recreating source files which fix the missing frames of the other file, but then have new dropped or glitched frames.....super frustrating. At this point in the game I'm not sure if I have it in me to learn a new program and prep routine.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone else having random issues where frames just drop out? I've pretty much stopped editing due to this ongoing issue. I've spent tons of hours recreating source files which fix the missing frames of the other file, but then have new dropped or glitched frames.....super frustrating. At this point in the game I'm not sure if I have it in me to learn a new program and prep routine.

What version of vegas do you use? I do sometimes get dropped frames. In my experience it's random and normally goes away when I restart the program. I always restart the program before a render to guard against undetected glitches in the finished file.

Something else I also sometimes get, which is worth bearing in mind, is sometimes it will look like my rendered file has dropped frames when I play it back in VLC, but it will play perfectly fine in other media players. It will also play fine in VLC once its gone through another batch of processing (eg. handbrake).

Top Bottom