• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

VEGAS 18 Rendering a 1Kb Incompatible MP4 file????

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So..... VEGAS is doing something weird that I can not figure out and it is making me nervous....

I have tried to do my final Render of my current project several times over the last two days, and keep having the same issue.

Using the exact same setting I have used on all my previous fan edits and on my last successful render of this exact project,
I go to render it... all goes as normal, it takes the normal amount of time (about 3 hours) to create the 13G MP4 File, which VEGAS always says is successful.

BUT... when I go to the actual file, it is only 1 KB in size and is not an MP4. It will not open with any player and I just get an Incompatible File warning.

But here's the catch! If I try to render a smaller MP4 file... 10-15 minutes long was my last test... it creates the MP4 file perfectly!!!!

I have no idea what is going on.... ???? 🤪

Any more experience VEGAS users have any insights?

Tonight I am trying a different MP4 encoding to see if that makes a difference.

Interesting. I haven't run into this before. BUT, I believe the render templates from earlier iterations of Vegas changed with 18. What settings do you use?
I generally use the "Sony AVC/MVC" template, customize the bit rate to fit the size I want to go for and the dimensions to fit the video project size. I've not had issues using that base template.

Interesting. I haven't run into this before. BUT, I believe the render templates from earlier iterations of Vegas changed with 18. What settings do you use?
I generally use the "Sony AVC/MVC" template, customize the bit rate to fit the size I want to go for and the dimensions to fit the video project size. I've not had issues using that base template.
Yes, I use the exact same template. Has always been successful in the past.

The only thing I am doing differently this time is trying to Render it to my External HD.

Could the lack of space on my main hard drive be affecting the final render? I currently only have about 5G on my main HD, so I am rendering the MP4 to my External HD. But could that lack of space be impacting the render of the 13G File? That could explain why when I did the test renders with smaller files they worked????

Yeah, I am a lazy/unorganized User.

EVERYTHING is on my main drive lol.

I only finally bought an External HD this week.

Might be a stupid question, but your external drive isn't formatted to FAT32 is it? Cos that has a 4gb limit for file sizes.
Honestly I never thought of that.
It is a 1TB Seagate.
I assumed it was just plug and go?

Honestly I never thought of that.
It is a 1TB Seagate.
I assumed it was just plug and go?

It should be. But it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a drive come pre-formatted to FAT32, which isn't particularly useful. If you right click on the drive in explorer and go to properties, it should say what it's formatted as.

It should be. But it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a drive come pre-formatted to FAT32, which isn't particularly useful. If you right click on the drive in explorer and go to properties, it should say what it's formatted as.
While it does say File Type is exFAT,

it also says it has 930GB of Free Space.

So do I still need to Format it?
You would think the Set -Up Instructions would mention this?
It has been years since I had to deal with this.... recommend a good tutorial?

I've never trusted the render all (or whatever) option on Vegas since I had some issues and problems with it early on, so I always use the render highlighted portion option but just highlight the whole project. Might be nothing to do with what you've had happening.

Vegas may be using some temp folders on your C drive that is killing the render since your C drive is so low. I have that issue sometimes.

ok, reformatted to NFTS.

Will try a new Render tonight and will update you tomorrow.

THANKS for the help. :)

exFAT shouldn't have been a problem, but NTFS is probably better anyway. The main advantage of exFAT is that it makes your drive compatible with both MAC and PC, but NTFS is more efficient. So I doubt it will have solved your problem, but it was probably a good move to have made anyway (assuming you won't be switching between those two platforms).

I'll second TM2YC on rendering loop region. I also normally do that for my own piece of mind and it's worth a try if you're having problems.

I've not done much with Vegas 18 since I got it, other than a 5 minute video that seemed to turn out ok. I'm yet to try a massive project with it. Hopefully it isn't going to be littered with unique bugs.

Render issue resolved.

So yes, apparently, even if you are rendering to an empty storage drive, the main drive must have equal or more free space for the render to be successful.

Lesson learned lol.

After this project I must finally reorganize all my files and do some long over due clean up.

THANKS EVERYONE for your input and advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom