• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Valerian - No Love Lost Edition - Complete

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a fan of The Fifth Element I was very excited when I heard Luc Besson was doing an adaption of Valérian and Laureline. When I final saw his film I, like many critics, loved its visual panache but loathed the forced romance plot line. The problem was two fold. Firstly there simply wasn't any on screen chemistry between Dane Dahaan and Cara Delevingne. Although both were more than serviceable in their roles in the movie there simply was no spark between them. Secondly the film labours the point when it comes to the love story. It is referenced so frequently that it only serves to amplify its awkwardness. The sad thing is that beyond that one albeit large and distracting flaw the rest of the film is a triumph. Thus the reason for this edit.

Valerian - No Love Lost Edition removes all the forced romance plot and leaves a tight sci fi/fantasy adventure featuring two intergalactic dimension traversing agents on a mission to recover a precious item. I have left some shots to intentionally imply that Valerian loves Laureline but that love is unrequited. I have a completed draft and will share some samples later. If you would to watch the draft and provide me some feedback please PM me.

As it stands I have cut 23 minutes and 19 seconds of the film.

Cutlist:
  1. Removed dream sequence to maintain an air of mystery
  2. Removed beach sequence between Valerian and Laureline due to its very cringe worthy nature
  3. Removed marriage proposal
  4. Removed reference to marriage proposal (Bus exit)
  5. Removed "Haven't we meet"
  6. Removed reference to marriage proposal (repairing the box)
  7. Removed reference to dream sequence (checking the pearl)
  8. Removed reference to marriage proposal (checking the pearl)
  9. Removed awkward argument with the General
  10. Removed reference to a potential honeymoon
  11. Removed second reference to a potential honeymoon
  12. Altered the jellyfish scene to remove flashes about dream/possession
  13. Removed reference to marriage proposal (purple cave) Intentionally left very awkward kiss
  14. Removed Bubble giving Valerian relationship advice in the kitchen
  15. Removed talk of marriage after dinning room fight
  16. Removed Bubbles death scene, left ambiguous she is presumed lost.
  17. Removed reference to the dream on the trash bridge
  18. Repurposed prisoners footage to conflate Princess and Prisoner characters
  19. Removed entire argument about love and the generals plans while with the pearls
  20. Removed reference to honeymoon on the beach
  21. Removed the kiss at the end leaving it with Valerian looking longingly at Laureline
  22. Rescored and shortened credited

Last edited:
Cool...as a lover of the Fifth Element ...(our band in the 90's was called Korben Dallas  :) )  i was looking forward to Valerian...ive watched it a couple of times and there is a decent film in there somewhere amongst the cheese but It's been a while since ive seen it so i may have to give it a rewatch to comment on your edit constructively...but i'm interested. I'm surprised there isn't a ton of edits for this film already.

You hit the nail on the head. The two leads are not at all well cast, everything else is fab. I thought that them not having any chemistry, or working as romantic hero types was an unfixable flaw but yeah maybe you're right, if you removed the romance, their short comings would stand out so much less and you could enjoy the rest of the film without that distraction.

I always felt part of the awkwardness of the romance was in part b/c they both looked like they could be teenagers and were just masquerading around in grownup situations with teenage television show level dialogue....?

Here's a trailer for this project. Its also the first trailer I've ever put together

I'm really looking forward to playing around with the score

That looks interesting enough to rewatch it without that pseudo teeny romance. Good job there @"Malthus" 

I wonder if it will be possible to mashup with The Fifth Element. As it almost shares the same look and feel :)

Trez75 said:
That looks interesting enough to rewatch it without that pseudo teeny romance. Good job there @"Malthus" 

I wonder if it will be possible to mashup with The Fifth Element. As it almost shares the same look and feel :)

It's from the same director and based on another french sci fi comic so the parallels are there. I don't want to mix the two though but I will be looking at a Fifth Element edit in the future.

That trailer looks Great Malthus!
I haven't seen this movie yet because I have only heard negative things about it.
but it's on sale cheap here so I might grab a copy just so I can check out your Edit.

and Yes like Trez75 mentions I has some of The Fifth Element vibes over it so maybe a mashup could work!

Malthus said:
Trez75 said:

It's from the same director and based on another french sci fi comic so the parallels are there. I don't want to mix the two though but I will be looking at a Fifth Element edit in the future.

So many edits so little time :) Dropping some news here. The Fifth Element is one of my favorite sci fi movie.

After some feedback from @"the scribbling man" I decided to make a fuller trailer.

Last edited:
That transition from the FE logo to the ship was geek out fantastic!

A few notes regarding the Valerian workprint:
First and foremost - an excellent idea for a fanfix which greatly upgrades the film. Well done!
However, I believe some issues still remain with the film, but most can be solved quite easily. Some of my suggestions are indeed a matter of taste, as you surmised, but I believe they can strengthen the tone of your edit:

00:07:32-00:08:02 Really awkward dynamic, which kinda defeats the purpose of your edit. I recommend trimming this segment.
00:27:48-00:27:55 Again, the dynamic is pointless and badly executed. Trim.
00:28:23-00:29:25 This segment serves solely as an info-dump as Valerian and Laureline should be familiar with the population and demographic of Alpha ("home sweet home"). The visuals are stunning, but the narration is pointless. If possible - I recommend muting the narration and trimming as little as possible to salvage some of these visuals.
1:17:47-1:17:50 If possible to mute the sentence "This is a lady. You can't fight her." It's sexist and really out of place.
1:18:12-1:18:14 Trim Laureline's awkward smile.
1:18:21-1:18:25 Trim Valerian's awkward smile.
1:20:34-1:20:37 We see Bubble's hand, but then the scene is cut. I understand that you tried several alternatives before deciding on this one, but I think the current edit doesn't leave Bubble's fate ambiguous - that would be better achieved by trimming at 1:20:28, or at the very latest at 1:20:33. By the way, her death scene is visually impressive, and I think most of it can remain in your edit, minus the love bits of course ("Take good care of her, love her without measure"), and perhaps some of the drama ("you're the greatest artist I've ever seen"... really?).
1:20:56-1:21:39 The Princess reference is completely vague in your edit, as you've cut the earlier scene on Mül. Granted, that reference was a little bit out of the blue in the TC, but here it is indecipherable. Trim.
1:25:10-1:25:14 That scene didn't take place in your edit so referencing it does not make sense. Trim.
1:32:26-1:33:24 I don't like the original editing here. The cuts are too short and spoon-feed the audience - we don't really need to see those flashes from the fight again. I suggest gentle trims of those flashes, and maybe move the flashback with the pressing of the button (1:32:53) to the earlier tale of the fight (1:27:20).
1:35:59 The transition isn't completely smooth. I appreciate the trimming of the pointless debate and talk of love, but there's still a slight jump. It is an issue of milliseconds.
1:47:00-1:47:48 Awkward dynamic and an unsatisfying ending. I think this segment should be trimmed from your edit. I'm not entirely sure what can be put instead to give closure. Maybe a few seconds from the fake beach scene at the beginning of the TC? It's not perfect, as that scene is really cringe-tastic, but they did talk about going to the beach after the mission, so that might just work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to watch the work print and for the detailed feedback. I've addressed each point below in red
boazz750 said:
First and foremost - an excellent idea for a fanfix which greatly upgrades the film. Well done!
However, I believe some issues still remain with the film, but most can be solved quite easily. Some of my suggestions are indeed a matter of taste, as you surmised, but I believe they can strengthen the tone of your edit:

00:07:32-00:08:02 Really awkward dynamic, which kinda defeats the purpose of your edit. I recommend trimming this segment.
As stated in my original post I have intentionally left some shots that indicate Valerian has feeling for Laureline but these feelings are unrequited. This is on of those scenes. It is intentionally awkward.
As is this
00:28:23-00:29:25 This segment serves solely as an info-dump as Valerian and Laureline should be familiar with the population and demographic of Alpha ("home sweet home"). The visuals are stunning, but the narration is pointless. If possible - I recommend muting the narration and trimming as little as possible to salvage some of these visuals.
I have to disagree with you here, I never got the feeling that this was their home or that they were overly familiar with Alpha as evidenced by the they seem to live aboard their ship and have no lodgings at Alpha. I took the line Home Sweet Home to simple mean we've arrived. I really like this scene and removing the narration renders the visuals pointless. 
1:17:47-1:17:50 If possible to mute the sentence "This is a lady. You can't fight her." It's sexist and really out of place.
I'll see what I can do but since Bubble is delivering the line to the camera there's obvious lip flap so muting it might make it feel strange and removing the shot would present more drastic audio issues. 
I don't have an issue with this. She's being rescued by her partner
I don't have an issue with this. He's just rescued his partner
1:20:34-1:20:37 We see Bubble's hand, but then the scene is cut. I understand that you tried several alternatives before deciding on this one, but I think the current edit doesn't leave Bubble's fate ambiguous - that would be better achieved by trimming at 1:20:28, or at the very latest at 1:20:33. By the way, her death scene is visually impressive, and I think most of it can remain in your edit, minus the love bits of course ("Take good care of her, love her without measure"), and perhaps some of the drama ("you're the greatest artist I've ever seen"... really?).
I really dislike the whole death scene and disliked it even more after trying to edit it. Trimming around the dialogue/visuals was not an option given all of Bubbles flailing arms and shape shifting. My solution was simply leaving her had weakily waving as they ask were she is. The delivery of the line "Where is?" implys the cant find her and is spoken as she raises her hand. I felt it was better that the audience knew she was buried in rubble than simply have her vanish especially since they never refer to her again. This is what I meant by saying her fate is ambiguous. We know where she was last but we never find out more. Personally that is way more satisfying that a character simply disappearing.
1:20:56-1:21:39 The Princess reference is completely vague in your edit, as you've cut the earlier scene on Mül. Granted, that reference was a little bit out of the blue in the TC, but here it is indecipherable. Trim.
As you said its totally out of the blue in the TC. It  absolutely is cryptic here but Valerian tells Laureline to trust him and ultimately we get told about 10 minutes later that he is possessed by the princess so its more mysterious than flat out incongruous. Removing it would mean also removing later dialogue referencing that and presented far more problems from a technical stand point. Also I intentionally left an easter egg of the possession during the cerebral squid scene which occurs before this.  
1:25:10-1:25:14 That scene didn't take place in your edit so referencing it does not make sense. Trim.
See the aforementioned easter egg 
1:32:26-1:33:24 I don't like the original editing here. The cuts are too short and spoon-feed the audience - we don't really need to see those flashes from the fight again. I suggest gentle trims of those flashes, and maybe move the flashback with the pressing of the button (1:32:53) to the earlier tale of the fight (1:27:20).
I'll take a look and see what I can do
1:35:59 The transition isn't completely smooth. I appreciate the trimming of the pointless debate and talk of love, but there's still a slight jump. It is an issue of milliseconds.
1:47:00-1:47:48 Awkward dynamic and an unsatisfying ending. I think this segment should be trimmed from your edit. I'm not entirely sure what can be put instead to give closure. Maybe a few seconds from the fake beach scene at the beginning of the TC? It's not perfect, as that scene is really cringe-tastic, but they did talk about going to the beach after the mission, so that might just work.
As with the first two points this plays into the unrequited love. Reusing the beach footage would not realistically be possible.
Hope this helps.

Malthus said:
Thanks for taking the time to watch the work print and for the detailed feedback. I've addressed each point below in red
boazz750 said:

As stated in my original post I have intentionally left some shots that indicate Valerian has feeling for Laureline but these feelings are unrequited. This is on of those scenes. It is intentionally awkward.
As is this
I have to disagree with you here, I never got the feeling that this was their home or that they were overly familiar with Alpha as evidenced by the they seem to live aboard their ship and have no lodgings at Alpha. I took the line Home Sweet Home to simple mean we've arrived. I really like this scene and removing the narration renders the visuals pointless. 
I'll see what I can do but since Bubble is delivering the line to the camera there's obvious lip flap so muting it might make it feel strange and removing the shot would present more drastic audio issues. 
I don't have an issue with this. She's being rescued by her partner
I don't have an issue with this. He's just rescued his partner
I really dislike the whole death scene and disliked it even more after trying to edit it. Trimming around the dialogue/visuals was not an option given all of Bubbles flailing arms and shape shifting. My solution was simply leaving her had weakily waving as they ask were she is. The delivery of the line "Where is?" implys the cant find her and is spoken as she raises her hand. I felt it was better that the audience knew she was buried in rubble than simply have her vanish especially since they never refer to her again. This is what I meant by saying her fate is ambiguous. We know where she was last but we never find out more. Personally that is way more satisfying that a character simply disappearing.
As you said its totally out of the blue in the TC. It  absolutely is cryptic here but Valerian tells Laureline to trust him and ultimately we get told about 10 minutes later that he is possessed by the princess so its more mysterious than flat out incongruous. Removing it would mean also removing later dialogue referencing that and presented far more problems from a technical stand point. Also I intentionally left an easter egg of the possession during the cerebral squid scene which occurs before this.  
See the aforementioned easter egg 
As with the first two points this plays into the unrequited love. Reusing the beach footage would not realistically be possible.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the detailed response. I am glad my suggestions were helpful.
My general intention was to help you strengthen the tone of your edit by completely removing the forced romance plot - and turning Valerian and Laureline's relationship to strictly professional. The main reason for it is that the romance scenes were executed very awkwardly in this film - mainly by Dane Dehaan - and diminished from a potentially worthy film.
IMHO, the main issue with your edit remains its ending - it is underwhelming and lacking. The theatrical cut provided closure to the romantic arc, but your edit needs something else. I'll try going through the bonus materials later and see if something else comes to mind.

I am a one -third of the way through this edit and i must say its an improvement although I feel like i can't actually critique it properly until i have re-watched the original. I have a new singing all dancing  4K telly turning up today as the other one packed up (a 6 year guarantee replacement from Richer Sounds :) Thank you very much) So that will give me a chance to watch the Valerian UHD i 've had sitting on the shelf for ages.

Not sure if you have this completed or not, just saw the link in your sig and decided to pop over. Sounds amazing and would love to see it at some point. Let me know if you still need anyone to look at the rough version or whatever. Thanks!

Possible artwork for this

nEE41kx.jpg

Re: the work-in-progress

OVERALL RESPONSE: Big, big thumbs up with this one. Your fan edit successfully turns VALERIAN into the spiritual successor to THE FIFTH ELEMENT I’d hoped for when the movie came out– fast, bright, relatively light-hearted, and weird. Excising the love story from the movie smartly streamlines the narrative, not just at the beginning, but throughout the film. It also improves the Valerian/Laureline dynamic, shifting it from borderline harassment to fun bantering between them both. Jumping straight into Valerian and Laureline’s mission does a fantastic job of transforming the movie, and for the better. Removing the Mul scene lets the audience learn things when our protagonists do. Now we learn what the converter does when Laureline does, we learn what happened to Mul when Valerian and Laureline do, etc.. We are going on the adventure with them, instead of being ahead of them from the word go.

Most of my suggestions below have more to do with the original film and things I think are still in your power to fix that Besson did rather than what you’ve cut. As ever, take them with generous dashes of salt.

SUGGESTIONS RE: ALPHA’S INTRODUCTION/EXPOSITION
One problem I had with the theatrical cut was opening the movie with the fantastic, fun montage of Alpha’s creation, then finally arriving on Alpha 45 minutes later to be treated to Alex’s academically interesting but non-vital exposition about Alpha during the flyover of the station (most of the footage of which was featured heavily in the cool original trailer set to the Beatles’ “Because.”).
  • Suggestion A: Let the opening montage and the later visuals of the fly-over do a great job of setting the scene without the exposition. Mute Alex’s exposition and instead replace it with “Because.” It worked wonders for the ad and would work well in the fan edit, I think.
  • Suggestion B: Relocate the opening montage and credits to later in the film, after the successful mission, before they arrive on Alpha, that way the credits segue directly into their arrival, and more naturally feed into the exposition during the flyover. That way, similarly to what you’ve accomplished elsewhere, the audience is following the protagonists’ journey instead of being ahead and waiting for the protagonists to catch up.

SUGGESTION RE: THE PRINCESS SUBPLOT
Admittedly, the Princess plot thread in the theatrical cut is already shockingly thin. I feel the Spirit of the Princess plot thread has either been pruned too much or not enough. As it stands in your edit, when it’s first brought up now while Valerian and Laureline are approaching the red zone, it seems to come completely out of nowhere (I watched the fanedit with my wife, who’d never seen the movie before. Her response: “What the hell? Did I miss something?”) To remedy, I suggest either: A: incorporating a few flashes of the Princess from the deleted opening at certain important moments, to indicate her guidance. Or B: cutting the Princess plot entirely.  You’ve already cut the dream and Valerian mentioning it to Alex. Cutting the Princess plot entirely could be accomplished by with relative ease
  • cut the mysterious hooded figures while Valerian is at the map
  • cut Valerian asking “haven’t I seen you before?” and Igon’s retort about the tea room
  • cut Valerian saying the Princess has been leading him/inside him the whole time
  • cut the Emperor’s explanation of the daughter’s death and soul
  • cut the “our daughter made a good choice” exchange
Honestly, I think this choice serves the movie (and your fanedit) best, as it give more agency to Valerian instead of making him a Chosen One.

Going the other way, though, flashes of the princess would work at the following moments to actually create the plot thread that the movie suggest, that visions from the Princess are somehow guiding Valerian to the Pearls. (I wouldn’t suggest doing all of them, as that would probably be overkill).  The opening shot of her laying down seems particularly ripe for use.
  • A brief flash right before Valerian asks “haven’t I seen you before?” during the standoff
  • A moment while he’s gazing at the pearl, right after freeing his hand from the box.
  • When Valerian is asking Alex about the pearl and Planet Mul.
  • Right before the Mul aliens cover Valerian in blue goop
  • While Valerian has his eyes closed incased in blue goop, before the robot spider cuts him free
  • When Lorelei revives Valerian after his crash

SUGGESTED SMALL CUT DURING BIG MARKET SCENE
Right before the (thankfully) cut wedding proposal at the gates of Big Market, there’s a brief shot after Laureline says “be careful” with Valerian wordlessly mouthing – in the original cut it segued into his awkward proposal, but here it feels like either something’s been censored or lost in the audio mix. I’d suggest using the last reaction shot of Valerian, after she rebuffs him and is turning around for the bus a second time.

SUGGESTED CUT DURING THE RADIOACTIVE ZONE DEBRIEFING
I would suggest cutting the brief shots of the special unit during General Okto-Bar’s Radioactive Zone debriefing, and all mention of it. Narratively, it makes it seem like the Pearl aliens killed them; if the film’s intention was that it was actually Commander Fillitt, it fails but muddies the waters in the process. Better, I think, to not mention it and instead keep the debriefing on the mysterious impenetrable zone (cutting straight from “several probes/none came back” to “this is the situation today).

Likewise, when Commander Fillitt is updating the Council, cutting from “we do not know the origins of” to “in light of this alarming…” removes mention of the Pearls supposedly killing troopers.

SUGGESTION CUTS RE: THE TORTURED ALIEN
Ideally, we shouldn’t see the Pearl alien being tortured, or rather, shouldn't know that it’s a Pearl alien getting tortured just yet, but instead let that get confirmed when the prisoner gets discovered later. A few very judicious cuts of the shots directly showing the Pearl alien could maintain the mystery, however, leaving it as a blurry prisoner. It also lets the torture happen off-screen, which lets the audience fill in the horror of what’s happening.

SUGGESTION RE: BUBBLE’S EXIT
Cutting Bubble’s death is a very good choice, as her death in the theatrical versin is random and kind of pointless, in my opinion. However, I suggest repurposing a line (maybe one that got cut) during the weak wave to make it clear she’s alive and well. “It was my pleasure performing for you” could work.

SUGGESTION RE: COMMANDER FILLITT’S REVEAL
There’s an odd moment during the scene where Commander Fillitt’s guilt gets spelled out that’s always stood out as a bit odd to me. While Valerian and Laureline are accusing him, it flashes to Fillitt telling someone “I want no survivors.” Great, evil and all, but who is he telling this to? There are no assassins in the movie. It could be the recon units mentioned earlier, but that brings us back to the problem with the Pearl aliens being killers. It could be the K-Trons, but an insert shot of them would be necessary to make that make sense, and it telegraphs the later K-Tron attack too much. The character that would make the most sense? Ikon, who the movie criminally underuses (It’s John Goodman!!!). Adding an insert shot of him would connect us back to the very beginning of the movie at Big Market in a nice, clean way. Otherwise, I would just trim it out to fill in the plothole.

SUGGESTION RE: THE VERY ENDING
So glad that the romance plot is gone. A small technical thing: the volume jump to the song playing over the end credits was a bit jarring.

Random idea: It might be fun to have a mid-credits or after-credits scene of the Valerian and Laureline finally at the beach, using footage cut from the beginning of the film.

It was a pleasure to finally get to watch your workprint, Malthus.   I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Stay well, and stay safe!

Thank you again for the detailed feedback on this. Your suggestions are really helpful and I'm hoping to implement several of these ideas this week.

I've colour coded the ideas:

​​​​​​Green: Definitely implementing
Orange: I'll experiment with the idea
Red: Politely rejected (with justification)

Scar said:
SUGGESTIONS RE: ALPHA’S INTRODUCTION/EXPOSITION
  • Suggestion A: Let the opening montage and the later visuals of the fly-over do a great job of setting the scene without the exposition. Mute Alex’s exposition and instead replace it with “Because.” It worked wonders for the ad and would work well in the fan edit, I think. Rescoring this could be really effective, I'll have an experiment.
  • Suggestion B: Relocate the opening montage and credits to later in the film, after the successful mission, before they arrive on Alpha, that way the credits segue directly into their arrival, and more naturally feed into the exposition during the flyover. That way, similarly to what you’ve accomplished elsewhere, the audience is following the protagonists’ journey instead of being ahead and waiting for the protagonists to catch up.​​​​I personally love the intro. It doesn't just introduce alpha it establishes the in-movie universe really effectively. Moving it would, I feel, present two issues. 1.) The intro would rely on a less impactful sequence 2.) The history of space travel would feel out of place. People were critical of a similar thing in my Thor edit so I wish to avoid that this time.
SUGGESTION RE: THE PRINCESS SUBPLOT
I suggest either: A: incorporating a few flashes of the Princess from the deleted opening at certain important moments, to indicate her guidance. Or B: cutting the Princess plot entirely.  You’ve already cut the dream and Valerian mentioning it to Alex. Cutting the Princess plot entirely could be accomplished by with relative ease
  • cut the mysterious hooded figures while Valerian is at the map
  • cut Valerian asking “haven’t I seen you before?” and Igon’s retort about the tea room
  • cut Valerian saying the Princess has been leading him/inside him the whole time
  • cut the Emperor’s explanation of the daughter’s death and soul
  • cut the “our daughter made a good choice” exchange
Honestly, I think this choice serves the movie (and your fanedit) best, as it give more agency to Valerian instead of making him a Chosen One. I agree I think this would be the better solution both you and @"boazz750" felt this needed work and this solution seems the best way to move forward.

Going the other way, though, flashes of the princess would work at the following moments to actually create the plot thread that the movie suggest, that visions from the Princess are somehow guiding Valerian to the Pearls. (I wouldn’t suggest doing all of them, as that would probably be overkill).  The opening shot of her laying down seems particularly ripe for use.
  • A brief flash right before Valerian asks “haven’t I seen you before?” during the standoff
  • A moment while he’s gazing at the pearl, right after freeing his hand from the box.
  • When Valerian is asking Alex about the pearl and Planet Mul.
  • Right before the Mul aliens cover Valerian in blue goop
  • While Valerian has his eyes closed incased in blue goop, before the robot spider cuts him free
  • When Lorelei revives Valerian after his crash
  • I might try the flash back idea too as a back up but I'm convinced your initial idea is the best one.

SUGGESTED SMALL CUT DURING BIG MARKET SCENE
Right before the (thankfully) cut wedding proposal at the gates of Big Market, there’s a brief shot after Laureline says “be careful” with Valerian wordlessly mouthing
Good catch, I'll get that sorted.

SUGGESTED CUT DURING THE RADIOACTIVE ZONE DEBRIEFING
I would suggest cutting the brief shots of the special unit during General Okto-Bar’s Radioactive Zone debriefing, and all mention of it. Narratively, it makes it seem like the Pearl aliens killed them; if the film’s intention was that it was actually Commander Fillitt, it fails but muddies the waters in the process. Better, I think, to not mention it and instead keep the debriefing on the mysterious impenetrable zone (cutting straight from “several probes/none came back” to “this is the situation today).

Likewise, when Commander Fillitt is updating the Council, cutting from “we do not know the origins of” to “in light of this alarming…” removes mention of the Pearls supposedly killing troopers.

I'll see what I can do.

SUGGESTION CUTS RE: THE TORTURED ALIEN
Ideally, we shouldn’t see the Pearl alien being tortured, or rather, shouldn't know that it’s a Pearl alien getting tortured just yet, but instead let that get confirmed when the prisoner gets discovered later. A few very judicious cuts of the shots directly showing the Pearl alien could maintain the mystery, however, leaving it as a blurry prisoner. It also lets the torture happen off-screen, which lets the audience fill in the horror of what’s happening.
Again, I'll see what I can do.

SUGGESTION RE: BUBBLE’S EXIT
Cutting Bubble’s death is a very good choice, as her death in the theatrical versin is random and kind of pointless, in my opinion. However, I suggest repurposing a line (maybe one that got cut) during the weak wave to make it clear she’s alive and well. “It was my pleasure performing for you” could work.
I really like this idea. The suggested line is a good shout. Hopefully it is workable.

SUGGESTION RE: COMMANDER FILLITT’S REVEAL
There’s an odd moment during the scene where Commander Fillitt’s guilt gets spelled out that’s always stood out as a bit odd to me. While Valerian and Laureline are accusing him, it flashes to Fillitt telling someone “I want no survivors.” Great, evil and all, but who is he telling this to? There are no assassins in the movie. It could be the recon units mentioned earlier, but that brings us back to the problem with the Pearl aliens being killers. It could be the K-Trons, but an insert shot of them would be necessary to make that make sense, and it telegraphs the later K-Tron attack too much. The character that would make the most sense? Ikon, who the movie criminally underuses (It’s John Goodman!!!). Adding an insert shot of him would connect us back to the very beginning of the movie at Big Market in a nice, clean way. Otherwise, I would just trim it out to fill in the plothole.

While it's a nice idea to have Ikon be responsible personally I can't see this working as there's very limited footage of him. (You're right, huge waste  of potential but I can only assume it was sequel bait.) I assumed he was talking to his K-tron, they were set up as his goons previously.

SUGGESTION RE: THE VERY ENDING
So glad that the romance plot is gone. A small technical thing: the volume jump to the song playing over the end credits was a bit jarring.
Sorry about that, I'll get all the levels sorted before release.

Random idea: It might be fun to have a mid-credits or after-credits scene of the Valerian and Laureline finally at the beach, using footage cut from the beginning of the film.
I'll see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom