• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Vader vs Kenobi Reimagined Video

Solemn.Philosopher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is not my video, but I thought I would share this fanedit: 

This was previewed over a year ago and it was just dropped today. It would be interesting to see this integrated into a fanedit.

OMG! That is the absolute best way that scene could ever have been done. Please oh please someone take the longest extended version and incorporate this... The enjoyment factor would rise significantly. Wow.

This is being discussed on another thread, but the only downside is that a lot of the quick cuts and shaky cam give it a modern feel and would be a bit jarring being inserted into a 40 year old movie (whether Han shot first or not).

Moved to General FE Discussions.  Special Projects and Shorts is for community-generated content.

It works in the context of the larger saga, but is unnecessary in the film itself. I’ve never once felt that scene needed to be modernized action-wise. But it’s still too wonky effects-wise to hold up. Particularly the face replacements. I know this is amateur work, but until it’s done much better I’d rather not have it my Star Wars.

I did a quick add of this to Adywan’s ANH for my own personal viewing since we also get those new effects during the DS battle. Is it out of place, sure, but it’s also a lot of fun!

It's well done, if you like watching Dragon Ball Z.
(ok, I'm joking, I liked it, but it's kind of the vibe I get from it)

I think the filming team for this one confused intensity for frenetic movement. The originail trilogy created intensity through the actors' performances. ESB is intense because of the performances, not the theatrics. Rogue One's Vader scene was similarly aporoached with the performances of the rebel guards selling the intensity of the somewhat clumsy Vader. TPM was the only Lightsaber battle of the Prequels to successfully merge character driven performance and theatrics to create an intense lightsaber battle, imho. This has some nat moments and is certainly better than what I could produce myself, but ultimately it's just too theatrical for me personally.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I think the filming team for this one confused intensity for frenetic movement. The originail trilogy created intensity through the actors' performances. ESB is intense because of the performances, not the theatrics. Rogue One's Vader scene was similarly aporoached with the performances of the rebel guards selling the intensity of the somewhat clumsy Vader. TPM was the only Lightsaber battle of the Prequels to successfully merge character driven performance and theatrics to create an intense lightsaber battle, imho. This has some nat moments and is certainly better than what I could produce myself, but ultimately it's just too theatrical for me personally.

All the prequel lightsaber battles were too choreographed for me and therefor lacked any dramatic tension. The best part of all of it was Maul (a character who I have absolutely nothing invested in) Force throws the object to open the door behind him.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I think the filming team for this one confused intensity for frenetic movement.

Yeah, and I get enough "people being tossed across rooms/several meters only to slam into a wall" from superhero movies, thanks. :p

It's slightly fun to watch,  but would look beyond ridiculous incorporated into a fan edit of the movie. It's way beyond "the original is dated and this one is modern". I don't think the original even looks dated except for a few shots. It's not very fast sure, but it's powerful,  and it totally sells the vibe it's trying to sell,  imo anyway. 

Anyway,  this one wouldn't fit,  and not because it's modern.  The cinematography is totally incompatible with the rest of the film.  Much too over the top, the original was artfully restrained throughout and this would look totally out of place.  It's not like they couldn't have made a faster lightsaber fight if they wanted to, the movie didn't need it.

The duel in Star Wars is one thing I honestly hoped Lucas would tweak in the revisions. The film is damn-near timeless but that sequence has aged very poorly.

This ain't it though. These kind of fan created things always seem to go way overboard. It looks ridiculous inter-cut with the original film. I'd like to see something like this made with more restraint and an eye on the filming of the time. It would probably be easier to do, ironically. A fun watch regardless, and some undeniably impressive work.

I remember seeing the preview of this a while back. I really liked this as a standalone video but I agree that's a bit over the top for the tone of ANH.

Still... The video brings me so much joy that I'd want to try to make it work as much as possible. The original has this retro game thing going on where what's there is really supposed to spark your imagination. Maybe if it was just some of the longer, less conspicuous shots interspersed with the actual duel, that might match the intensity I always imagined and wanted.

I really enjoyed the video but like others have mentioned I don’t think it fits if being used as a replacement in the original film. I think it’s best place is where it is on YouTube as a short form of entertainment.

Guess I'm in the minority in that I have always thought the Vader/Kenobi battle was pretty lackluster.  Even as a kid, I could give 2 craps about that... I wanted to see what Luke/Han/Leia were doing!  "Why did they cut away from that?!" was basically my thinking.  That is how much the fight lacked engagement.

Now that we have more of those characters' stories on film, that is an incredibly important moment.  And it's important not only from a dramatic point of view...it's important because it's a 2nd chance for "Anakin" to show up his master.  And it's important that he actually not do that, in a way.  The original fight, Kenobi looks like a doddering grandpa compared to a strong, fearsome badass.  His disappearing act always seemed like a copout.  It's why Sir Guinness couldn't take the part seriously (until the accolades came in) and called him a "wizard".  He meant it in a derisive way, not as a handy metaphor.

I say all that to say that I think rose-colored glasses could blind people to that original scene.  I'm sorry, but it is lacking in almost every way.  The Revisited fan-edit does what it can to fix the technical issues, but it's still needs to be expanded, to have more weight, and to have more energy.  Yes, this cut is too dynamic, and like the Duel of the Fates, it would threaten to steal the movie.  But I'd love to see a toned down version of it put into the film.  When I show the movies to people who haven't seen them, I almost have to look away in embarrassment at that point.  To a lot of people who didn't grow up with those films... that scene is just bad.

mnkykungfu said:
But I'd love to see a toned down version of it put into the film.  When I show the movies to people who haven't seen them, I almost have to look away in embarrassment at that point.  To a lot of people who didn't grow up with those films... that scene is just bad.

I would also like to see a toned-down version integrated into a fan edit. Personally, I think you mostly only need to remove the middle part (the aggressive force push and lightsaber throw).

Solemn.Philosopher said:
mnkykungfu said:
But I'd love to see a toned down version of it put into the film.  When I show the movies to people who haven't seen them, I almost have to look away in embarrassment at that point.  To a lot of people who didn't grow up with those films... that scene is just bad.

I would also like to see a toned-down version integrated into a fan edit. Personally, I think you mostly only need to remove the middle part (the aggressive force push and lightsaber throw).

Damn, as much as I love that part, you're right.  It's what would stick out most egregiously.  And it wouldn't be hard to remove about 5 seconds there.  I'd also trim the intro of the two walking towards each other a bit, and a couple of shots later like the close-up of Vader's hand.  Overall, those just make it a little too dramatic and grand, more fitting in a Zack Snyder film than a Lucas joint.

It would be good to go back and review the final sword fight from "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (1938) for "tips" on how to improve the scene.

Interestingly, the sword fight is "sped up" in Robin Hood slightly for dramatic effect.

Stylistically, these are very different approaches at sword fighting, but the way the fight is cut/edited, use of shadows, etc, make a nice primer in what can be done in a sword fight in an older film and not feel out of place.

mnkykungfu said:
a little too dramatic and grand, more fitting in a Zack Snyder film than a Lucas joint.

Now I want an edit of the movies that makes it more like a Zack Snyder film!

jrWHAG42 said:
mnkykungfu said:
a little too dramatic and grand, more fitting in a Zack Snyder film than a Lucas joint.

Now I want an edit of the movies that makes it more like a Zack Snyder film!

Ha ha!  That would be interesting...it might be possible with the prequels...not sure about the OT.  I haven't seen them all, but I always thought several of the SW games, like The Force Unleashed, were essentially "What if Zack Snyder made SW?"

Back
Top Bottom