• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

[V2.5 NOW AVAILABLE - 2021] The Amazing Spider-Man: Extended Edition

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Ok I get it XD Just considered you would know better or something I dunno. Whoops.

I dunno lol. ;-)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am uploading the RAR files for the MPEG2 file to MEGA right now (yes, MPEG2 because I am having problems exporting an MP4 from Premiere Pro, however MPEG2 is just as good in my opinion). I would like someone to view it and give their opinion before I submit it to the academy. Can you send me a PM if you'd like to view my fanedit? I will reply with the links once it uploads to MEGA.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Export as a LagarithAVI, then turn that into an MP4 with handbrake. Excellent quality and size when set to super slow.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ Export as a LagarithAVI, then turn that into an MP4 with handbrake. Excellent quality and size when set to super slow.

Thanks, I did convert my files before (something different) but I'm ok with MPEG2. Isn't it as good?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
I'm ok with MPEG2. Isn't it as good?

I'd have thought that an 2GB MP4, would look better than a 2GB MPEG2 (Or wahtever the file size in question) but I'm not really sure, I've never done a direct comparison.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recommend uploading a short sample to Mega instead of the full thing, and then someone can check the video quality for you.

But not me, I'm terrible at judging that sort of thing.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
MP4 does beat MPEG2. Handbrake slow setting FTW.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
MP4 does beat MPEG2.

But why? Is there a huge reason for why we should prefer MP4 over MPEG2? I mean most websites I checked showed minor differences. Maybe because of the small size? I don't know. Can someone explain this to me?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't know how you googlged it but I found plenty.

Explanation found on videohelp forum:
MPEG4 was designed for low bitrate videos and its application is different from MPEG2. At relatively high bitrates MPEG4 isn't going to give you any better quality than MPEG2 but it can achieve the same quality at a lower bitrate than MPEG2. I'm no expert on MPEG4 (most of my work is DVDs) but I remember I once compared the two at the same resolution and for MPEG2 at 7000 kbps and MPEG4 at 4000 kbps I had to zoom to 400% to tell a difference.

Here's another link.

Says it all to me. Not necessarily better, but more efficient and more convenient.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Don't know how you googlged it but I found plenty.

Explanation found on videohelp forum:

Here's another link.

Says it all to me. Not necessarily better, but more efficient and more convenient.

I understand, however it doesn't make a huge difference that makes me want to convert it to MP4. Know what I'm saying?

EDIT: Does it make a big difference to you guys? Do you want me to convert it to MP4?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I recommend uploading a short sample to Mega instead of the full thing, and then someone can check the video quality for you.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^What Frink said. Upload a small MPEG2 and MP4 sample (and perhaps check both on your TV to compare?) and have people compare it for you :)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
^What Frink said. Upload a small MPEG2 and MP4 sample (and perhaps check both on your TV to compare?) and have people compare it for you :)

PM Sent

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:

You sent me an MPEG2. Without the same video in MP4 format it will be hard to compare both :-D

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
You sent me an MPEG2. Without the same video in MP4 format it will be hard to compare both :-D

Whoops, I forgot to convert it and send that to you as well. My bad. PM sent again.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, so I decided that this should be the thread for both of my Extended Amazing Spider-Man films, so I changed the thread title and the first post a little bit, and we may talk about the second one here as well.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazing Spider-Man 1 Disc Art:

AmazingSpider-ManD1300SK_zpsc9a8405c.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man 2 DVD Cover:

amazingspider-man2_zps1415df7d.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Disc Art:

AmazingSpider-Man2D1300SK_zpsd3d9177e.jpg

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I compared both on my Cinema HD screen (Go Apple!).

Okay so to the naked eye the two clips are nearly identical in quality (as to be expected) but the MP4 is half the size of the MPEG2, which, in my opinion, was also to be expected. MP4 is also known as MPEG-4 Part 14, while MPEG2 is known as H.222/H.262. MP4 is in fact a successor/spin-off of the original MPEG, of which MPEG2 is in itself the successor.

The one major difference is that while MPEG2 is an actual video format, MP4 is in fact a container for video formats.
(Those reading along feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I'm not as knowledgeable about this as others here).

I'd like to see more detailed information on what the render settings where though. Can you post screenshots of your settings?

If not, as far as I'm concerned, I'd go with MP4, if only to go easy on the bandwidths of the fellow editors downloading your edit ;-)

Again, those reading along, feel free to pitch in :)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Video Render Settings:

2015_02_24_12_14_46_496x368_zps4407a2ec.png

Audio Render Settings:

2015_02_24_12_15_14_496x368_zps9dd60859.png

I'm not an expert on these type of things so I leave them recommended, and I always match the original source (which is in my projects always the highest quality source). Hopefully these were what you were looking for, as I'm not a hundred percent sure that these were what you wanted, because again, I'm not an expert.

Top Bottom