• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Upscaling

Right, that's another thing that i should point out although it's self-explanatory. If a movie isn't true 4k, doesn't really make sense to AI upscale a few instances to native 4k.

4k setup here. There's a difference, but it's dependant on your screen size and how close you are to it. Since i'm pretty close to my 27" 4k panel, the difference is always noticeable.

Afaik those MCU films are 2k upscaled to 4k for the blu-ray as a whole, not just the CGI. https://www.digiraw.com/DVD-4K-Blur...UHD-ripping-service/the-real-or-fake-4K-list/ -

For those non-native 4k films, you're mostly benefitting from improved bitrate. For some, the difference between fake and real 4k is significant, assuming the lens isn't holding the image back.

That's a fantastic resource, I'll definitely be bookmarking this, thank you.
I agree, wish I checked that out before buying a bunch of 4K Blu's lmao

But thank you so much for the info!

EDIT: It does say Lord of the Rings is real 4K though which afaik is false...

EDIT: It does say Lord of the Rings is real 4K though which afaik is false...
I've not seen the 4k version of the movies, so i can't say for sure.

This review says native 4k https://www.avforums.com/reviews/lord-of-the-rings-fellowship-of-the-ring-4k-blu-ray-review.18240

While this one claims upscaled 4k at the top https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-4K-Blu-ray/262476/
but says this regarding picture quality:
The first bit of good news here is that Warner Bros.' new transfer -- which includes a fresh 4K scan of the original camera negative and VFX filmouts --
which implies native 4k. The latter site isn't affiliated with blu-ray, in case the site name misleads anyone.

I've not seen the 4k version of the movies, so i can't say for sure.

This review says native 4k https://www.avforums.com/reviews/lord-of-the-rings-fellowship-of-the-ring-4k-blu-ray-review.18240

While this one claims upscaled 4k at the top https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-4K-Blu-ray/262476/
but says this regarding picture quality:

which implies native 4k. The latter site isn't affiliated with blu-ray, in case the site name misleads anyone.

This is what I was basing my knowledge from. Don't know why there's confusion about this around lol

This is what I was basing my knowledge from. Don't know why there's confusion about this around lol
Interesting. The reviewer even says everyone assumed this would be a new 4k scan and that assumption "spread like wildfire". Unfortunately, the screenshots don't really help when the video itself is 1080p.

Going by the 4k screenshots here, it doesn't seem like native 4k to me. It's definitely sharper looking, but it feels like some post-processing sharpness was applied, which could be an indicator of upscaling from a lower resolution - some upscaling techniques digitally sharpen the image depending on the method.

On the topic of upscaling, I'm currently using Topaz for the first time. I decided I wanted to try improving the quality of the old web series "There Will Be Brawl" which was only released in 240p. It took me a while to find settings that looked good. I previewed various shots with different models, some made clothing detail look really good while messing up faces, lots of trial and error. Eventually I settled with the Gaia CG model, I was hesitant because this webseries isn't CG, but I took the advice of an old reddit post and it looks the best of all the ones I've tried. I mean it still looks like crap, but more natural and true to the original footage, and more of an even quality throughout. Heavy grain is also applied because it looks even worse without it. I don't expect many people to be interested in this, I'm really just doing it for myself to watch and as an expiriment. My computer has been very loud so I assume that means that it's working. Last I checked the first episode was finished, though I didn't check the finished file yet. I'm only upscaling it to 720p because I figured it'd be quicker than 1080, and I doubt it'd look much better.
Once all the episodes are finished, if I'm feeling crazy enough then I may try a scene by scene color correction, because as it is I think the colors make it look kinda cheap (which it is) despite having pretty good costumes and whatnot.

Now, if only there was a program to "upscale" low quality audio...

On the topic of upscaling, I'm currently using Topaz for the first time. I decided I wanted to try improving the quality of the old web series "There Will Be Brawl" which was only released in 240p. It took me a while to find settings that looked good. I previewed various shots with different models, some made clothing detail look really good while messing up faces, lots of trial and error. Eventually I settled with the Gaia CG model, I was hesitant because this webseries isn't CG, but I took the advice of an old reddit post and it looks the best of all the ones I've tried. I mean it still looks like crap, but more natural and true to the original footage, and more of an even quality throughout. Heavy grain is also applied because it looks even worse without it. I don't expect many people to be interested in this, I'm really just doing it for myself to watch and as an expiriment. My computer has been very loud so I assume that means that it's working. Last I checked the first episode was finished, though I didn't check the finished file yet. I'm only upscaling it to 720p because I figured it'd be quicker than 1080, and I doubt it'd look much better.
Once all the episodes are finished, if I'm feeling crazy enough then I may try a scene by scene color correction, because as it is I think the colors make it look kinda cheap (which it is) despite having pretty good costumes and whatnot.

Now, if only there was a program to "upscale" low quality audio...
I totally abandoned this unintentionally, I got most of the episodes done, I really need to get around to doing the rest.

Also during that time I messed around by upscaling the cutscenes from the NES Ninja Gaiden. First off I realized that using a high quality recording just made the pixels sharper or whatever, the fun really comes from downscaling it and then upscaling it so that the program has to do more guess work, which leads to the pixels being smoothed out, in the end achieving a proper anime look. It was really neat, not perfect but neat, and I wish I saved the results. I'll have to feed it through again and share some screenshots, and also share some screenshots of my above There Will Be Brawl upscaling attempt.

There's a lot I want to mess around with on this program. I have a vhs rip of a rare Hellraiser 4 workprint that I'd love to feed through it, probably won't make it look much better but it'd just be really cool to try it.

Back
Top Bottom