• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Upscaling

Vhestal

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to upscale an old fanedit that I'm very fond of. Can anybody recommend a good upscaler? Hardware is not an issue and I had already looked into several stuff like Topaz software and waifu2x but I think there's a much better solution to this.

What is the particular edit you wish to enhance? Potentially you would be better served rebuilding the original edit in HD using new sources. Upscaling is a powerful process but it can create some odd results. Rebuilding a classic edit is a great project to hone your editing skills.

It's the 2005 edit of Constantine, named Hellblazer. Problem with this one is that most link/sources for rebuilds are either invalidated or down. As such, I feel that upscaling it would be the best way to tackle it, given that hardware is not an issue for me.

Upscaling is just a half-measure. Waste of time if you ask me.

Properly remaking it with commercially available HD sources would be better in every way. Upscaling makes sense when there's no HD source available or when you're trying to match up poorly archived deleted material. Or in fanedit specific cases, where maybe the original editor did custom footage in standard definition that's not part of the source material.
Upscaling really is still more of a last resort for footage restoration.

I would throw in, that upscaling can be a alternative if the source material has an 4k release but it´s flawed or no real upgrade (e.g. LOTR, The Silence of the Lambs). Luckily due to technology we are able to make use of same/fairly comparable technology like the studios.
Alongside the already mentioned software, in AViSynth it´s also possible but the software requieres intensive reading on how it works and which parameters can be used.

Avisynth is a good idea, I've done my fair-share of stuff using avisynth, just found out Hybrid yesterday and now I'm looking into things.

Video Enhance AI is the best one i've used out there. You can do a trial run to test and need decent hardware, unfortunately the software is pricey.

Video Enhance AI is still the king. They have many models, all for different types of videos with varying quality, and even one model that lets you tweak each specific parameter (deblocking, noise reduction, sharpening, etc, and it works WONDERS on animated content).

I'd recommend learning AviSynth as well. Upscaling is one thing but if your video looks like shit beforehand, it will simply upscale the shittiness. AviSynth has a variety of filters to remove problems before you go into upscaling.

Video Enhance AI is still the king. They have many models, all for different types of videos with varying quality, and even one model that lets you tweak each specific parameter (deblocking, noise reduction, sharpening, etc, and it works WONDERS on animated content).

I'd recommend learning AviSynth as well. Upscaling is one thing but if your video looks like shit beforehand, it will simply upscale the shittiness. AviSynth has a variety of filters to remove problems before you go into upscaling.
It sounds like the OP in this thread wants to have an HD version of an SD fanedit (of a live action movie) but doesn't want to purchase HD source material or to have to actually remake it in an editor, and thinks that running the SD edit through an upscaler will be "good enough". Clearly this would be a waste of time.

I feel like if we are going to have an Upscaling thread, we need a list of use cases where upscaling would actually work because the assumption that it just enhances everything generally is an uninformed one. As you said, the current tech does really well with animated content. In live action as a last resort; or for short clips.

I feel like if we are going to have an Upscaling thread, we need a list of use cases where upscaling would actually work because the assumption that it just enhances everything generally is an uninformed one. As you said, the current tech does really well with animated content. In live action as a last resort; or for short clips.
is upscaling worth doing for deleted scenes?

Yeah, if deleted scenes are only in SD, I would call that a last resort and consider it worth it.

But also try multiple methods. That's where there might be something to really talk about. I think masking together a mix of different upscale attempts would produce some surprising results. This is not a silver bullet one-button solution but an experiment to try.

A "standard" or general non-specific upscale or two. Maybe one using a model intended for animation and one from Topaz or something popular and considered overall decent. Watch through both and take note of which shots look better in which method and what still looks blurry. Experiment with blending the methods to see if that improves anything. These would be used as a basis or a bottom layer. Then the goal is to mask in elements of other upscale attempts and add back in lost detail

Remini, despite being an android app, when it works, can pull off some crazy levels of detail for faces. However, it works best on photos, so it doesn't necessarily have the same level of quality for video. So you would want to use it on still frames from the video, however, these can maybe become keyframes for EbSynth.
EbSynth can apply styles to video, and may be useful in applying detail from the keyframes to the scene. If you are able to get EbSynth to apply Remini's "HD" face details onto the upscale it may save time. Or it might help bridge the visual gap between frames generated by Remini. The more keyframes the better the end result will look. But it's still not done. Remini is not great and is even at times bad at upscaling stuff that isn't faces, and some faces with not a lot of starting detail will end up horrific and will need to be blurred or removed. And EbSynth is not great at fast motion. So the output, even when ideal, won't be immediately useable.

Once you have your footage from Remini, whichever way you end up generating it (with or without EbSynth) put that on a top layer. Mask out everything except the faces you want to keep. Maybe use unsharp masks or lower the opacity on the faces that are almost useable but not quite. Use a blend of your other upscales based on what looks best to you underneath. Depending on the footage, you might even be able to substitute elements like skies or close-ups of props or hands or something with new or repurposed footage. Finally when this is all together, compare with "true HD" footage specifically to get color match as close as you can. This is the final step, once color is as close as possible, you've done all you can. It won't be perfect but it'll be a lot better looking than stretching the SD footage and calling it a day, it might even be passable.

I'm open to talking about this more and elaborating or helping to brainstorm. Let me know if it is of interest.

Adobe users, for a baseline bottom layer of an upscale you could start with batch processing in Photoshop if you have CC, resize using "Preserve Details 2.0". After Effects also has Detail Preserving Upscale, which I believe is the same tech applied to video without the need to break it into individual image files for each frame. But it may be worth trying both on a short clip to compare.

I'm thinking of moving to 4K editing and I bought a 4K BR writer but I'm wondering how to upscale 1080p deleted scenes (such as Spider-Man 2.1 scenes I want to use or Amazing Spider-Man deleted scenes). Is it worth it? If so, is it worth doing AI upscaling (if it's even easy, I have NO idea how to start with that) or should I just use Detail Preserving Upscale in After Effects?

Also side note when ripping 4K Blu-Rays can I only use SDR (especially when pairing with 1080p deleted scenes it makes sense to keep it SDR, right?)

Looks like Heavisyde asked a similar thing but for SD deleted scenes. @addiesin do you think the same applies to upscaling HD scenes to 4K?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of moving to 4K editing and I bought a 4K BR writer but I'm wondering how to upscale 1080p deleted scenes (such as Spider-Man 2.1 scenes I want to use or Amazing Spider-Man deleted scenes). Is it worth it? If so, is it worth doing AI upscaling (if it's even easy, I have NO idea how to start with that) or should I just use Detail Preserving Upscale in After Effects?

Also side note when ripping 4K Blu-Rays can I only use SDR (especially when pairing with 1080p deleted scenes it makes sense to keep it SDR, right?)

Looks like Heavisyde asked a similar thing but for SD deleted scenes. @addiesin do you think the same applies to upscaling HD scenes to 4K?

First just to reiterate, if the edit is in one size and the footage you need to add is not available in that size, yes it's worth it to try upscaling, just be ready to put in more work cleaning it up after and try to be realistic about what you expect to end up with.

I don't have a 4k setup so I can't speak with knowledge here, just hearsay. I believe I read somewhere that many visual effects, even for big MCU superhero films, are actually rendered in 2k (not much bigger than standard full HD) and upscaled to 4k after, both to save time and because nobody can tell the difference anyway.

If that is accurate, you'd almost 100% be fine with Detail Preserving Upscale bumping deleted scenes from HD to 4K. Even if what I heard isn't accurate, the amount of quality difference between the two isn't as large as SD to HD, you're in a best case scenario for the upscale to match well.

Many times really crappy looking footage stored in SD is actually already upscaled (if DVD, stretched to 480i) from sub-SD formats (second generation tape copy, VHS scan, 16mm to laserdisc backup, could start at 420p, 320p, 240p, or the original max YouTube resolution was a 144p postage stamp, etc) often as a last resort for preservation. That presents more hurdles to jump or more holes to fill (if that's a better metaphor) for restoration, that you won't have to deal with on anything related to Amazing Spiderman.

Edit: added some speculative sub-SD sizes

Last edited:
First just to reiterate, if the edit is in one size and the footage you need to add is not available in that size, yes it's worth it to try upscaling, just be ready to put in more work cleaning it up after and try to be realistic about what you expect to end up with.

I don't have a 4k setup so I can't speak with knowledge here, just hearsay. I believe I read somewhere that many visual effects, even for big MCU superhero films, are actually rendered in 2k (not much bigger than standard full HD) and upscaled to 4k after, both to save time and because nobody can tell the difference anyway.

If that is accurate, you'd almost 100% be fine with Detail Preserving Upscale bumping deleted scenes from HD to 4K. Even if what I heard isn't accurate, the amount of quality difference between the two isn't as large as SD to HD, you're in a best case scenario for the upscale to match well.

Many times really crappy looking footage stored in SD is actually already upscaled from sub-SD formats (second generation tape copy, VHS scan, 16mm to laserdisc backup, etc) often as a last resort for preservation. That presents more hurdles to jump or more holes to fill (if that's a better metaphor) for restoration, that you won't have to deal with on anything related to Amazing Spiderman.
Much appreciated, addiesin!

I currently edit in 4K and Topaz can give good results with upscaling 1080p to 4K, depending on which algorithm is used. I did this in an edit of Shazam where I included part of one deleted scene in 4K. Further, a program called Nugen can automatically convert the deleted scene 2 channel audio into pretty good 5.1 channel. If adding deleted scenes you’ll want to convert HDR to SDR. The only NLE that does this well is the full version of Resolve which can automatically detect scene changes and convert scene by scene to SDR using Dolby Vision.

4k setup here. There's a difference, but it's dependant on your screen size and how close you are to it. Since i'm pretty close to my 27" 4k panel, the difference is always noticeable.

Afaik those MCU films are 2k upscaled to 4k for the blu-ray as a whole, not just the CGI. https://www.digiraw.com/DVD-4K-Blur...UHD-ripping-service/the-real-or-fake-4K-list/ -

For those non-native 4k films, you're mostly benefitting from improved bitrate. For some, the difference between fake and real 4k is significant, assuming the lens isn't holding the image back.

Back
Top Bottom