• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

upmix DD 2.0 to DD 5.1 ?

dark jedi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sorry guys,I have 1 more question(well probably not LOL),how are you guys upmixing your 2.0 sound files to 5.1?
thanks again
DJ

this is done with Sony vegas.
I am still using vegas 6.0a (Build99), because it works perfectly I only update, when there is a reason to do that. Lots of new version work worse than the old ones.
Best example for freeware: besweet
Anyway, back to Sony Vegas:
File --> Import --> Media... (choose your 2.0 track, best would me PCM)
Now it will check for peaks. After that:
File --> Render As... (select 5.1 surround sound under templates) --> save

there you go and have a fake 5.1 ac-3 which sounds much much better than a 2.0 track, especially on surround systems.

thanks again Boon,and I am now of the same mind,I dont update unless it is needed.

saves you a lot of time!
And maybe if someone so desperately needs 5.1, he or she can easily create it and have a torrent posted.

There is also a more intricate way of achieving a truer 5.1 mix through Pinncle Studio (plus). I hope i can explain this correctly and not confuse anyone. In this example, i have used A.I (as reference only, since A.I. is already in 5.1). Here goes..

See picture 1 here: http://i12.tinypic.com/40kvyhk.jpg and look at the virtual surround room template and note the sound peaks on the timeline. The sound peaks represent where you have moved the speaker on the virtual room. Where ever you move the speaker there, is what speaker the sound will actually come from after rendering.

Picture two http://i19.tinypic.com/441lvg5.jpg shows how you can move the speaker to any location you want. This is an excellent feature if you are a filmmaker. I use it all the time to create 5.1 mixes. Anyway, so for example if you were to actually separate the 2.0 tracks (using Cinematize pro or Hypercube) and one track was dialogue, and the other was music/sound effects -- you would just (temporarily) mute the dialogue track, and peak the sound effects to come out of any speakers you want. Then, to compensate for the music that would be peaking up and down with the sound effects, you could relay the music score back over it via offical CD soundtrack/score. Then, after you're done, just unmute the dialogue track. Hope this makes sense. It would (trust me it does) take some work, but you can create some great results with this, especially if you were to have all the original sound elements to work with. However, this Pinnacle feature is not free from what i can recall. It is great, though. (But Pinnacle also does have the fake 5.1 setting, which i have also used in the past - results can be nice, not bashing it at all).

Damn I do the whole thing manually with GraphEdit so I can manipulate channels and upmix settings.
In L.A. Story I switched between manual channels layouts/balance, volumes, DPL2 and DTS Neo:6.

What do the other programs use for their upmix method?

Pinnacle doesn't do 5.1 (at least, not version 9). The surround option outputs a 2.0 track, more or less DPL. Unless I am doing something massively wrong.

Doctor M,could you possibly give me a little tutorial on how to use your method,Vegas will not run for me at all.
thanks

Strange. Pinnacle has never given me a 2.0 track beckmen. I am currently using Pinnacle Plus v9.4.3; the last release of Pinnacle 9.

I have 9.3.0 and it's always outputted 2.0 tracks. Must have been an upgrade. Been meaning to get 10 one of these days...

Back
Top Bottom