• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Upgrading from 10.4 to 10.6 -- any problems I should expect with editing software?

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there. I've recently gotten the Mac Box Set, with which I plan to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6, in part to make my editing life easier (roto brush, anyone?). But, now that I have the upgrades, it occurs to me that I ought to check to see if I'm likely to have problems with any of my editing software:

AE CS3 (as I said, planning to move up to CS5 soon)

Audacity 1.3.11.0

FCP 6.0.5

Soundtrack Pro 2.0.1

Photoshop CS4

mocha 2

MPEG Streamclip 1.8

MTR 2.6.6

Boris RED 4.1

I also have a bunch of plugins, especially for AE. Am I likely to have compatibility errors, and if so, any ideas where I'm most likely to have 'em?

Many thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Anything developed by Apple should work fine at this point. Audacity and MPEG Streamclip work fine too. Can't vouch for the others though.

All my Red Giant filters didn't work on AE CS5. Had to re-install CS4. so now i keep both versions.
Same with Photoshop. It's because of the 32bit - 64 bit upgrade.
Photoshop CS5 can be actually selected to be 32 bit under "get info"
what do you use Boris RED for?

killbillme said:
All my Red Giant filters didn't work on AE CS5. Had to re-install CS4. so now i keep both versions.
Same with Photoshop. It's because of the 32bit - 64 bit upgrade.
Photoshop CS5 can be actually selected to be 32 bit under "get info"
what do you use Boris RED for?

Wow, interesting. That was one of the main things I was concerned about. Hmmm...well, I do have CS4, but it was giving me problems with my current system, so maybe keeping both versions once I upgrade is the way to go. Thanks for the tip!

Re what I use RED for: driving myself nuts, mostly. I had hoped when I got it that it would be good for object and wire rig removal (since I have a fair bit of B-roll I planned/plan to work with), and it seems like it should be, but I haven't gotten the hang of it so far. I'm not really a fan of the Boris tutorials, either -- too specific to the project they have in mind, without enough explanation of what it is they're actually changing the settings for. Still, I keep it around in the hope that I can eventually make it work....

Back
Top Bottom