• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Upgrading a fanedit to HD

I would have thought the dvd was higher pitched due to the 4% increase in speed but its probably because the audio on the dvd has been fiddled with because of the increased speed. The blu-ray will be the authentic true version

In theory, the PAL DVD ought to be higher pitched owing to the 4% speed-up.  Did you slow the audio down before comparing it to that of the BD?  UK DVDs are rarely pitch-corrected, though it happens in other countries, such as Spain, so there's a small chance that that's a factor here.

Unfortunately, BD audio tracks are far from immune to mishandling by studios, and there are certainly BDs that have pitch issues.  It's one of those things that ought not to be a problem any longer but unfortunately still is.  Comparing the UK BD to the US might be worthwhile.

Yup, sorry. That's what I meant. The DVD is higher pitched. I compared the raw demuxed streams. No slowing or pitch shifting on my end.

For future reference - if you've working with a PAL source, you can usually convert to 23.976 fps easily enough with a variety of tools (I use Virtualdub myself, but have used AviSynth on occasion following the Captain's advice and/or guides). Your audio (if you've extracted it to wav) can be similarly manipulated with something like Audacity, and you can do this with or without the pitch shift as necessary.

In the case of an SD PAL edit, you could even change your BD to 25fps, sub the source file into your project, then export and convert back to 23.976 fps if you wanted to. Better to rebuild from scratch with the correct source, of course, but for a big complicated edit I'd at least consider it and see what the end result looks like if it was going to save me a lot of work....

Sinbad said:
we watched everythong 4% faster over here.

a real shame. some thongs should be watched as leisurely as possible.

^ I've been wating nearly a week for a comment on that :D

i. . . i couldn’t resist the bait.

I couldnt resist leaving the typo :)

Back
Top Bottom