• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Upgrading a fanedit to HD

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now that I've bought Source Code on blu-ray, I would like to make my fanedit of it available in HD. I imagine I will therefore have to re-edit the film from scratch, but I thought it worth checking anyway. Are there any "shortcuts"? For example, would I be able to swap out the source in the original project file? I know this can be done to some extent, but I don't know how well it would work. 

I'd also just be curious to hear from others who have decided to re-do thier edits in HD. If you've had to do them from scratch, have they often ended up quite different to your original edit? Or were you able to maintain a level of consistency? Do you submit a new IFDB listing? Or update the existing one? 

Thanks in advance.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess it all depends on your NLE. I've only done this once with me edit of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I edited it using the DVD as source and then later ripped a BR copy. After that I just replaced the clips source file (the DVD rip) to the BR one. It worked pretty well, though I did have to go through and clean up a few cuts here and there since it was off my a few frames from time to time.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you use the dvd vobs as a source Scrib? if so yes you will need to do it from scratch. If you used makekmv to create a singular source file with 2 audio channels and you use the bluray in the same way you will still have issues though.  UK dvd's are pal 25fps whereas UK blurays aren't converted to PAL as there is no need in the HD era and are 23.976. For instance Die Hard on PAL dvd is 126mins the uk bluray is the original 132 minute version.  The films the same its just playing faster so nothing will match up

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was back in my Mac days so I think I used an MP4 conversion from the DVD, and then M2TS rip from the BR. It's been a while and I can't entirely remember.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah its not an issue if its an NTSC source, its the dodgy PAL system we adopted that meant we watched everythong 4% faster over here. pretty bizarre really...

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Did you use the dvd vobs as a source Scrib? if so yes you will need to do it from scratch.

Not necessarily. You could open the same project file twice, or more, and replace each audio file with the new source. Not saying this would be the easy route though. Best bet is to create seoasepa video and audio sources in my exoeriexpe.

the bad sin man said:
If you used makekmv to create a singular source file with 2 audio channels and you use the bluray in the same way you will still have issues though.

I don't understand why anyone would want to edit in stereo
:p
dabniS backwards said:
UK dvd's are pal 25fps whereas UK blurays aren't converted to PAL as there is no need in the HD era and are 23.976....The films the same its just playing faster so nothing will match up

Yes, but you should be editing it in its true fps of 23.976. PAL and NTSC DVDs both should be sourced at 23.976. there are tools in the uides that will easily allow you to slow down the PAL video and audio to create correct fps sources. Once this is done, theoriticallt it would be a straight swap.

As mentioned above and here. You may need to rework parts if your frames are different.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Yeah its not an issue if its an NTSC source, its the dodgy PAL system we adopted that meant we watched everythong 4% faster over here. pretty bizarre really...

It's just an artifact of old analog formats, and the conversion needed to get between one system and another.

I'm so glad we're past that now.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I Am Dog Fiction said:
I don't understand why anyone would want to edit in stereo
:p

Aww schucks... It does make life so much easier though.. :p (plus I don't get the benefit with my prehistoric 2:1 setup :( )

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prentend to do good deeds but I'm a bad man said:
Aww schucks... It does make life so much easier though.. :p (plus I don't get the benefit with my prehistoric 2:1 setup :( )

Same setup here. I find 5.1 easier to work with in terms of creating smooth audio transitions. Too often stereo has too much of the previous or oncoming scene to create an audio illusion of continuity.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep, my editing machine is stereo, but I find it way easier to edit in 5.1 (or 7.1). It gives you a LOT more flexibility in smoothing out transitions. Even if you end up rendering to stereo, having the extra separation to work with is the bees knees!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CITING MAD FOOD said:
Same setup here. I find 5.1 easier to work with in terms of creating smooth audio transitions. Too often stereo has too much of the previous or oncoming scene to create an audio illusion of continuity.

Yeah I have used 5.1 (sort of) in my last two edits, if I needed to strip things out the audio I did it seperately and then muxed it back in. I like to call it the 'Arse about face' method :)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's all this fanciness you're talking about? 5.1? 7.1? I cut on a Steenbeck!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey @"Sinbad" , I used a lossless lagarith AVI, ripped from the DVD with bitripper. Not the best way, in hindsight, and it's not how I do things now. 

My edits have been mostly older films, so I've been working in mono :p

I prepared for 5.1 with Source Code, but I swapped back to stereo when I realised there was no clean centre channel. I regretted it further down the line though.

I swapped out the source video when I hit a wall with Muppet Christmas Carol. As Q2 said, I just had to move all my cuts by a few frames. Maybe I can do something similar with Source code, or maybe the framerate will be an issue. I guess I'll find out...

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tried swapping out the file and it made the project a complete mess. Guess I'll be doing this one from scratch...

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought that would be the case tbh if your original is 25fps which I assume it is. Just gonna be further and further away from your original cuts as the timeline progresses

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could be better in the long run though. Parts of the blu ray have a clean(ish) centre channel, which wasn't the case at all with the DVD.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it probably wont take long to redo, as you have your finished SD version as a template so you know exactly what you want.  I will be definitely be upgrading my version when you do :)

You can even stick the kiss breakaway post credit scene in! :p

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
You can even stick the kiss breakaway post credit scene in! :p

Wah? What kiss breakaway? This is a mere HD rework of the theatrical release. I know of no other version...  ;)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
it probably wont take long to redo, as you have your finished SD version as a template so you know exactly what you want.  

Yeah, it isn't taking long at all actually. I've already done virtually everything bar titles and the phonecall scene. It's so nice to be working in 5.1 this time as well. I might possibly release it with both stereo and 5.1 audio options. 

Source Code: Version 1.(3?) coming soon!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I've been using my DVD edit of Source Code as a reference, switching between the two projects. I've noticed that the Blu-ray audio is a semitone above the DVD audio; the dialogue is slightly higher pitched and the music is in a different key. Is this normal? Maybe this is a stupid question, but does this have anything to do with the framerate?

Top Bottom