• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Unoffical FE ranking

Page 1 update complete. Most recent list can be found on PAGE 1.

Spelledaren wrote this on 2012-08-18:

This will be the last top rated list before we move to the new ratings system. I think that is going to be awesome. I hope you all take your time later on and try to add your votes to all the different categories for the edits you've already seen once it gets going for real. That would mean a lot to the usability of the ratings there.

I am continuing to penalize edits without ratings for a long time, as per below:

Edits that recieved 0 votes for the last year got their rating multiplied by 0,99.
Edits that recieved 0 votes for a year and a half (about) had their rating multiplied by 0,98.
And those that had 0 for two years, 0,97.
And now some have had no votes for 2 and a half year, they got a 0,96 multiplier added.

This is an unofficial list of the best fanedits on fanedit.org. It lists the top 25 edits, but I have data for many more.
The list is derived out of adding 10 dummy votes of 7.9 to each edit. 7.9 is the last average rating on FE that I know of.

Top edits as of 2012-08-18:

1. Star Wars: Ep IV Special Edition Revisited
2. Terminator 3: The Coming Storm
3. Army Of Darkness - Primitive Screwhead Edition
4. Dawn of the Dead: The “Extended Mall Hours” Cut
5. The War of the Stars II - The Future in Motion
6. Star Wars Begins
7. Building Empire
8. Jaws the Sharksploitation Edit
9. Wolf Dancer
10. Prison Break – The Movie – Episode One
11. Star Wars Episode 2: Attack Of The Phantom
12. The Terminator: Extended Edition
13. Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze - Detarnished
14. Northwest Passage: A Twin Peaks Fanedit
15. Returning to Jedi
16. Dead Set Serious
17. Where the Wild Things Are: Wild Rumpus Edition
18. Star Trek - Kirkless generations
19. Batman: Under the Red Hood (UA Edit)
20. Red Dragon - Manhunter Edition
21. Batman Consecution: The True Fanedit Chronicles
22. The Nightmare on Elm Street Anthology, Volume 1
22. Star Wars - Episode III: Dawn of the Empire
24. The Dark Knight: Remixed by Jorge
25. Star Wars: Deleted Magic Revisited

Climbers:
Star Wars Begins +5
Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze - Detarnished +3
The War of the Stars II - The Future in Motion +2
Batman: Under the Red Hood (UA Edit) +1

Very impressive results from two Star Wars edits, bashing their way into the highest ranks. Doc Savage has a crazy average rating!

New Fanedits on the list:
22. The Nightmare on Elm Street Anthology, Volume 1
22. Star Wars - Episode III: Dawn of the Empire
24. The Dark Knight: Remixed by Jorge

More Star Wars! Congrats L8WRTR! The Dark Knight bounces back again. It came back with fewer votes and a higher average. I think the mods found some irregularities while going through the ratings, preparing for the move, since this wasn't the only edit to have something done with it's ratings.

Fanedits off the list:
Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Pureblood Edition
The Lord of the Rings: Book V - The War of the Ring
Halloween 2K7 - Scary as Hell Edition

The Pureblood Edition was released in a new version I think, and got a new set of votes, about half as many as earlier, so it dropped off the list.

Edits that recieved a penalty that effected the top list:

No vote for one year and a half:

Doom The Posessed Re-Cut
Flatliners - True Nightmare Edition
Romero’s Land Of The Dead: Unrated Fancut

No vote for two years:
Azazel
Dead Set Serious

Bonus goodies to celebrate the new rating system! The list down to #60!

2012-10-13:

26. Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze – Detarnished!
27. Prison Break -The Movie – Episode 2
28. Lord of the Rings, The: Book I - The Return of the Shadow
29. Silent Hill: Restless Dreams
30. Jericho Cane
31. Waterworld – The Ulysses Cut Revised Edition
32. Star Wars - Episode II: The Republic Divided
33. Prison Break -The Movie – Episode 3
33. Star Wars - Episode III: Dark Force Rising
33. Superman: Son of Jor-El
36. Dark Knight, The: Remixed by Jorge
37. Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones: The Super 8 Cut
38. Lord of the Rings, The: Book V – The War of the Ring
39. Pearl Harbor: Strength and Honor Edition
39. Star Wars - Episode III: Dawn of the Empire
41. Titanic: The White Star Extended Edition
42. Batman Begins: Dark Cut
43. Superman II: The Hybrid Cut
44. Star Wars - Episode I: Shadow of the Sith
45. Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace Review
46. Rock, The – Thermalized
47. Tranzor’s The Thing – Late Night TV Edit
47. Lord of the Rings, The: Book III - The Treason of Isengard
49. Transformers (UA Edit)
50. Halloween 2K7 – Scary As Hell Edition
51. Tranzor’s Dawn of the Dead 2004
51. Creasy - A Man on Fire Fanedit
53. Fall of the Jedi: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
54. Story of Star Wars, The
54. Story of The Empire Strikes Back, The
54. True Lies: Straight Faced Edition
57. Alien-ate
58. Azazel
59. Echo
60. Lord of the Rings, The: Book IV - The Journey of the Ringbearers
60. Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut Redux

Can you spot yourself? In that case the people around here think you have made an awesome edit for sure!
The cut off for top 60 is 8,9 with 26 votes or 9,3 with 10 votes - those end up the same ranking in the system.

(note: no edits with less than 10 votes were considered. Out of those below one or two might make the top 60. The last of the mohicans: Hybrid cut comes to mind.)

Amazing work as always. Quite interesting.

Congrats on snagging the third spot with Jaws! Still my favourite of your edits!

Edit: It beat out Dead Set with one thousand of a ranking point.

So there was quite an upheaval in the list. I'm going to look at some of the major changes in ratings here.

Army of Darkness: 9,73 with 30 votes. Now 9,8 with 16 votes.
Batman Consecution: 9,08 with 40 votes to 8,2 with 29. That is messed up man.
Blade Runner 2008. I asked in the main list, "what what?" 9,09 / 23 and now 9,6 average.
Dawn of the Dead - 9,68 with 28 votes. Now it's 9,6 / 15.
Doom: 9,10 / 39 and now it's 8,7 with 22! Ouch! What a hit! What was up with those 17 votes that went away?
Hellblazer: 9,0 with 24 - dropped two votes and now 9,4 average.
Land of the Dead: 9,15 with 41 down to 29 votes but 9,4 average.
Kirkless! 9,21 with 29 votes and now 8,1 with 23. W T H ?
Phantom Edit: Lost 32 votes. THIRTYTWO.
Attack of the Phantom: 9,27 / 44 but now 8,6 with 31. Ow, just...ow.
Revisited lost 21 votes.
Supes Redeemed: 8,8 with 46 votes down to 8,1 with 25. Painful.
The Coming Storm lost 16 votes.
DeZIONised. 8,74 with 73 votes. Great amount of votes! Now it's 8,5 with 43 votes. 30 gone!
War of the Stars: 8,79 with 52 votes to 9,2 with 56. Massive rating boost.

Those were the major changes that was able to track. I love the new system, and this list here isn't an attack or anything, but I'd like to get some sort of insight into what happened to all those votes. Were they not logged properly in the previous system in some manner?

And the ratings have jumped up quite a bit in general, is this because of the added categories? Something else?

Main reasons for lost votes:

1) Old edits before WordPress was fully migrated so the data of who voted for them was lost. And with IFDB we can't just add a rating without the user's information.
2) Duplicate votes due to either WordPress errors or double accounts.
3) Editor rating his own edit. This is no longer allowed. (Obviously this would only take off 1 rating.)
4) 5 Star ratings (or lower) with no reviews.

Neglify said:
Main reasons for lost votes:

1) Old edits before WordPress was fully migrated so the data of who voted for them was lost. And with IFDB we can't just add a rating without the user's information.
2) Duplicate votes due to either WordPress errors or double accounts.
3) Editor rating his own edit. This is no longer allowed. (Obviously this would only take off 1 rating.)
4) 5 Star ratings (or lower) with no reviews.

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense, as it's mostly the older edits that have lost votes. That is also interesting because it shows that many of them got lower and lower votes as time went on (as they dropped in the average rating).

Number 1 should account for most of the removed votes, and point 4 I think explains those few votes gone and a big jump up in rating.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Also, I gave my edit 10,000 10/10 ratings, but they figured it out.

Actually, wasn't it determined that there is no way to rank the films on the other site? I mean, they can be ranked individually, but not as a group. If that's the case, then your work is still needed, spell.

Of course, I've been out of the loop for about a month, so maybe something has changed since then.

Indeed the edits cannot be sorted by number of votes or by a minimum number of votes. That means I had to look at every single edit again to compile the list. But the new system is very clear so it didn't take that long.

And I think the list might be even more interesting now that the top lists are gone from the main site.

spelledaren said:
And I think the list might be even more interesting now that the top lists are gone from the main site.

I definitely value your work on these lists.

spelledaren said:
And the ratings have jumped up quite a bit in general, is this because of the added categories? Something else?

Now with the new system if the technical quality has no problems you give 10s in those categories, because there's no reason to give anything less. So the scores for most edits are boosted up to the 10 range and the only difference is the decimal point, 10.6 vs. 10.8 etc. So the scores are even more inflated than they used to be which means they're not very meaningful.

Brumous said:
Now with the new system if the technical quality has no problems you give 10s in those categories, because there's no reason to give anything less. So the scores for most edits are boosted up to the 10 range and the only difference is the decimal point, 10.6 vs. 10.8 etc. So the scores are even more inflated than they used to be which means they're not very meaningful.

Yup, lots of very high score for the tech parts. It seems though as the average rating is calculated like this (Enjoyment +(all the other parts together/4))/2. So the system weighs the enjoyment rating as four times as important as the others. Have I got this wrong, or is this a correct assessment of how it works?

spelledaren said:
Yup, lots of very high score for the tech parts. It seems though as the average rating is calculated like this (Enjoyment +(all the other parts together/4))/2. So the system weighs the enjoyment rating as four times as important as the others. Have I got this wrong, or is this a correct assessment of how it works?

This is correct. I don't know the exact weight but what you say sounds correct. We did this to combat what Brumous was talking about. A fanedit can be technically perfect but a terrible movie that you never want to watch again. Or the edit can be flawed technically but may be an incredibly enjoyable movie.

Examples:

A/V Quality - 10
Visual Editing - 10
Audio Editing - 10
Narrative - 6
Enjoyment - 6

If you did a normal average it would be an 8.4 rating. But IFDB averages it out to a 7.2 rating.

A/V Quality - 6
Visual Editing - 6
Audio Editing - 6
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 9

Regular average would be a 7.2 rating. IFDB gives it an 8.1 rating.

L8wrtr and Q2 can chime in more if they wish.

Back
Top Bottom