• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Universal Classic Monsters Marathon

Universal made good on their promise to send me a replacement disc for Creature from the Black Lagoon, so I'm finally able to finish up my marathon with this final trilogy.

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
A refreshing fresh take on horror after the declining quality of the House team-ups and A&C comedies. This movie feels much more "modern", with a heavy emphasis on the scientific nature of the Gill Man, rather than the supernatural. The writers clearly wanted it to feel that way; they even compare his discovery to that of the atomic bomb. There have also been some pretty impressive costuming upgrades since the early days of this franchise with a big rubber suit that looks pretty good even in still images, and which remarkably doesn't disintegrate or get too waterlogged when filming underwater. It still must have been hard to swim in, though, because a stunt man (Ricou Browning) plays the Gill Man underwater, with actor Ben Chapman assuming the role on land/boat. The underwater filming is also pretty impressive for the time, and must have been showcasing a new camera technology. As Jrzag42 pointed out, this movie was originally released in 3D, and my Blu-ray even has the option to play it in 2D or 3D, but unfortunately I don't have a 3D TV so I wasn't able to take advantage of that. I don't actually have much to say about the plot; it's pretty simple: Some geologists are exploring the Amazon looking for fossils and instead find the Gill Man, who kills almost everybody, and abducts the only woman in the movie. She eventually gets rescued, and the Gill Man is shot and presumably dies. Even though there is only one female character, and she does kind of become a damsel in distress, this movie does at least make a point that she is also a scientist and the intellectual equal of her boyfriend and the other scientists. As good as the effects and filming is, this story remind me mostly of the Mummy movies, with a lumbering silent killer walking around and killing kind of at random, with the end goal of abducting a woman (though for different reasons). I like it better than the Kharis movies, but not nearly as much as the original Imhotep version.

Revenge of the Creature (1955)
This movie was also filmed and originally released in 3D, and my Blu-ray has both options, which again I am unable to make use of. Jrzag42 and I must have different versions of the discs, because mine was in widescreen like the first one. While this is a direct sequel to the first movie, the only characters to come back are the boat captain and the Gill Man himself. The captain is played by the same actor (Nestor Paiva) and the underwater Gill Man is still played by Browning, but for above-water scenes he is played this time by Tom Hennesy. We also get a very young Clint Eastwood in his first film role as a lab tech! Apparently the Gill Man survived getting shot at the end of the first movie, and another crew of scientists come to capture him. The new cast is fine, but they largely feel like one-for-one replacements of the original, and I wonder if that was the original plan but the actors didn't want to come back for a sequel. If it had shared the same cast, I think both this movie and the first could be improved by trimming some of the overly-long underwater scenes and combining the two into a more complete story. The two movies combined only have a running time of 2:41, so I bet we could have put together a pretty tight two-hourish movie. Again, this sequel feels very Mummy-ish, and the post-capture scenes at the Oceanarium remind me of the SeaWorld setting of Jaws 3D, although I guess that should be the other way around since this movie predates it by 28 years! While not particularly bad, this sequel with the swapped out cast feels totally unnecessary, and coming out 14 months after the original, it must have been rushed into production. One other little bit of trivia, Myster Science Theater 3000 used this as their first episode after moving to the Sci-Fi Channel, although I don't think I've ever seen it.

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
Another rushed sequel, this time only 11 months after the last one and with no shared cast except for Browning in the underwater scenes again. This movie really is pointless and a big drop in quality. There's no reason at all they should expect to be able to find the Creature just knowing that it's somewhere in the Everglades, even with their fancy fish radar. The ocean is big. I also don't like that after two movies with strong female characters, Marcia is just used as an object of jealousy here. And the whole idea of turning him into a man is just stupid. What a sad end to the franchise (but still better than the dreadful A&C "comedies").

My complete ranking of the franchise, with IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes scores for comparison.
FilmReleasedLengthIMDBRotten TomatoesAsterixSmeagolAverage
The Phantom of the Opera11/25/251:47:007.590%9.58.7
Dracula2/14/311:25:007.494%9.08.6
Drácula (Spanish)4/24/311:44:007.0100%8.08.3
Frankenstein11/21/311:11:007.894%9.08.7
The Mummy12/22/321:13:007.089%9.58.5
The Invisible Man11/13/331:11:007.694%10.09.0
The Bride of Frankenstein4/20/351:15:007.898%8.58.7
Werewolf of London5/13/351:15:006.377%5.06.3
Dracula's Daughter5/11/361:12:006.364%8.06.9
Son of Frankenstein1/13/391:39:007.195%6.07.5
The Invisible Man Returns1/12/401:21:006.590%7.07.5
The Mummy's Hand11/20/401:07:006.060%6.06.0
The Invisible Woman12/12/401:10:006.067%5.05.9
The Wolf Man12/12/411:10:007.291%8.08.1
The Ghost of Frankenstein3/13/421:07:006.175%5.06.2
Invisible Agent4/17/421:19:006.067%6.06.2
The Mummy's Tomb10/23/421:01:005.529%6.55.0
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man3/5/431:15:006.425%6.55.1
Phantom of the Opera8/12/431:32:006.476%6.56.8
Son of Dracula11/5/431:20:006.160%4.05.4
The Invisible Man's Revenge6/9/441:17:005.640%6.05.2
The Mummy's Ghost7/7/441:02:005.633%5.04.6
The House of Frankenstein12/15/441:11:006.255%7.06.2
The Mummy's Curse12/22/441:00:005.440%4.04.5
House of Dracula6/29/451:07:005.756%4.05.1
She-Wolf of London5/17/461:01:005.217%6.04.3
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein6/15/481:23:007.390%3.06.4
Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man3/19/511:22:006.680%3.56.0
Creature from the Black Lagoon2/12/541:19:006.980%8.07.6
Revenge of the Creature5/13/551:22:005.613%7.04.6
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy5/23/551:19:006.225%2.03.6
The Creature Walks Among Us4/26/561:17:005.643%6.05.3

I also made a table of all of the repeat actors.
Actor#Dracula (English)Dracula (Spanish)FrankensteinThe MummyThe Invisisble ManBride of FrankensteinWerewolf of LondonDracula's DaughterSon of FrankensteinThe Invisible Man ReturnsThe Mummy's HandThe Invisible WomanThe Wolf ManThe Ghost of FrankensteinInvisible AgentThe Mummy's TombFrankenstein Meets the Wolf ManPhantom of the OperaSon of DraculaThe Invisible Man's RevengeThe Mummy's GhostThe House of FrankensteinThe Mummy's CurseHouse of DraculaShe-Wolf of LondonAbbott and Costello Meet FrankensteinAbbott and Costello Meet the Invisible ManCreature from the Black LagoonRevenge of the CreatureAbbott and Costello Meet the MummyThe Creature Walks Among Us
Bela Lugosi6Count DraculaIgorBelaYgorThe Frankenstein MonsterCount Dracula / Dr. Lajos
David Manners2John HarkerFrank Whemple
Dwight Frye6RenfieldFritzReporterKarlVillagerRudi
Edward Van Sloan4Van HelsingDr. WaldmanDr. MullerVan Helsing
Halliwell Hobbes3HawkinsHawkinsCleghorn
Colin Clive2Henry FrankensteinHenry Frankenstein
Boris Karloff5The MonsterIm-ho-tepThe MonsterThe MonsterDr. Gustav Niemann
Lionel Belmore2Herr VogelEmil Lang
Michael Mark5LudwigEwald NeumüllerBazaar OwnerSir John TalbotFrederick Strauss
Claude Rains2Dr. Jack GriffinErique Claudin
Una O'Connor2Jenny HallMinnie
Forrester Harvey3Herbert HallBen JenkinsTwiddle
E. E. Clive3Police Constable Jaffersthe BurgomasterSergeant Wilkes
Valerie Hobson2Elizabeth FrankensteinLisa Glendon
Reginald Barlow2HansTimothy
Mary Gordon3Hans' wifeMrs. BatesJane Banning
J. Gunnis Davis2Uncle GlutzDetective Tom
John Carradine5a hunterDr. Peter DruryYousef BeyCount DraculaCount Dracula
Lester Matthews2Paul AmesSir Jasper Herrick
Lawrence Grant3Col. Sir Thomas ForsytheBurgomasterBurgomaster
J. M. Kerrigan2HawkinsCharles Conliffe
Harry Stubbs3Officer JenkinsBartenderGuno
Billy Bevan2AlbertThe Police Sergeant
Nan Grey2LiliHelen Manson
Edgar Norton2HobbsThomas Benson
Lionel Atwill5Insp. KroghDr. Theodore BohmerMayorInsp. ArnzInspector Holtz
Harry Cording3Bearded GendarmeFroneVic
Sir Cedric Hardwicke3Richard CobbDr. Ludwig FrankensteinConrad Stauffer
Vincent Price2Geoffrey RadcliffeThe Invisible Man (voice)
Cecil Kellaway2Inspector SampsonThe Great Solvani
Dick Foran2Steve BanningSteve Banning
Wallace Ford2Babe JensonBabe Hanson
George Zucco4High Priest AndohebHigh Priest AndohebHigh Priest AndohebProf. Bruno Lampini
Lon Chaney Jr.10Lawrence TalbotThe MonsterKharisLawrence TalbotCount DraculaKharisLawrence TalbotKharisLawrence TalbotLawrence Talbot
Ralph Bellamy2Cpt. Paul MontfordErik Ernst
Patric Knowles2Frank AndrewsDr. Frank Mannering
Maria Ouspenskaya2MalevaMaleva
Evelyn Ankers4Gwen ConliffeElsa FrankensteinClaire CaldwellJulie Herrick
Olaf Hytten2HussmanConstable Alfred
Doris Lloyd3MarthaNurseMaud
Leyland Hodgson2Chief Constable of VisariaSir Frederick Travers
Holmes Herbert3Magistrate of VisariaSir Alfred SpencerDr. Cooper
Jon Hall2Frank "Raymond" GriffinRobert Griffin
Ilona Massey2Maria SorensonElsa Frankenstein
J. Edward Bromberg3Karl HeiserAmiotProfessor Lazlo
Frank Reicher2Prof. Matthew NormanProf. Matthew Norman
Emmett Vogan2CoronerCoroner
Glenn Strange4FarmerFrankenstein's MonsterFrankenstein's MonsterFrankenstein's Monster
Dennis Hoey2Police Inspector OwenInspector Pierce
Hans Herbert2MarcelMeier
Peter Coe2Carl HussmanDr. Ilzor Zandaab
Martin Kosleck2RaghebDwight Severn
Kurt Katch2Cajun JoeDr. Gustav Zoomer
Bud Abbott3Chick YoungBud AlexanderHimself
Lou Costello3Wilbur GreyLou FrancisHimself
Nestor Paiva2Captain LucasLucas
Ricou Browning3The Gillman (underwater)The Gillman (underwater)The Gillman (underwater)

@Jrzag42 and I must have different versions of the discs, because mine was in widescreen like the first one.
I think I've mentioned before, I only have the DVD set, not Bluray, so that's probably the reason for the difference. I'm not sure why the aspect ratio would be different between versions, but so be it.
Revenge is really my favorite of the trilogy, I kinda hoped I wouldn't be alone on that. At least we both agree that Walks Among Us isn't great. Glad that you finally got the chance to watch these!

BONUS
(please let me know if I should stop posting these bonus reviews in this thread)
Hollow Man (2000) - It's funny how the 30's Invisible Man has a higher kill count and is arguably more unnerving than this attempt at a darker, edgier, modern adaptation. Paul Verhoeven's take on The Invisible Man should be great in theory, but this just isn't great. For one thing, it's full of dated cgi, which I can accept in a dumb fun movie like Van Helsing, but in a horror movie it just takes me out of it. Another problem for me is the over reliance of sexual assault, which is already a turn off for me in horror movies, but here it almost feels like the writer can't think of any other way to convey that our protagonist sucks. The first half is just gross while the second half/last third is a servicable slasher. None of it feels like what I'd expect from a Verhoeven picture. It's a real mixed bag, but I'm willing to believe that an edit might improve it.
The animal testing reminded me of The Invisible Man's Revenge, and the fact that the invisibility project was being developed for the government reminded me of The Invisible Agent, but I doubt either detail was an intentional reference.
I could go on all day about how this movie is so much less interesting and generally worse than the classic Universal films.

BONUS
(please let me know if I should stop posting these bonus reviews in this thread)
Hollow Man (2000) - It's funny how the 30's Invisible Man has a higher kill count and is arguably more unnerving than this attempt at a darker, edgier, modern adaptation. Paul Verhoeven's take on The Invisible Man should be great in theory, but this just isn't great. For one thing, it's full of dated cgi, which I can accept in a dumb fun movie like Van Helsing, but in a horror movie it just takes me out of it. Another problem for me is the over reliance of sexual assault, which is already a turn off for me in horror movies, but here it almost feels like the writer can't think of any other way to convey that our protagonist sucks. The first half is just gross while the second half/last third is a servicable slasher. None of it feels like what I'd expect from a Verhoeven picture. It's a real mixed bag, but I'm willing to believe that an edit might improve it.
The animal testing reminded me of The Invisible Man's Revenge, and the fact that the invisibility project was being developed for the government reminded me of The Invisible Agent, but I doubt either detail was an intentional reference.
I could go on all day about how this movie is so much less interesting and generally worse than the classic Universal films.
Yeah, it's definitely mediocre especially compared to Verhoeven's other works. I honestly do think it's better than the 2020 film though because at least Kevin Bacon had a threatening presence while the guy in that overrated 2020 junkflick just yelled like an idiotic Twitter guy. Plus it didn't rip off Scream.

A coworker recently gifted me both the 1923 Hunchback of Notre Dame (with Lon Chaney Sr.) as well as the 1939 version. Now, I don't think the 1939 version is Universal, but I plan to at least review the 1923 version here at some point.

On Christmas, I ended up watching the original Invisible Man with my older sibling, who ended up really enjoying it. We went on to watch the 2020 film, so...

BONUS
The Invisible Man (2020) - This was an interesting film. It's well made, and I like the ideas behind it, but...it's not a fun movie and it's just kind of upsetting to watch. I don't know how I feel about it at the moment, I might have to watch it again sometime. One thing though, I don't like the invisible suit, it's so goofy looking. The first time we see it is when white paint is thrown on it, and it just looks like the texture of a golf ball. I laughed (still not a fun movie, there's just a couple incidental moments).

At the end of the day we went on to watch The Invisible Woman, which wasn't as good the second time, but still a fun time.

On Christmas, I ended up watching the original Invisible Man with my older sibling, who ended up really enjoying it. We went on to watch the 2020 film, so...
Bruh, you just followed up a full course Roast Goose with one nasty rock of a bad fruitcake there LOL.

My condolences. But yeah, I didn't like it either. Hell, I hated it. It missed the point of the original invisibility and film, had a guy with no menace other than yelling like a stupid Reddit Incel all the time, and decided to rip off Scream in the last third. It's honestly embarrassing people think it's good let alone better than the original.

Some people say "well it did something different", but what's the point of it being different when it's just The Invisible Man in name only?! Came across as a half-assed redo of Hollow Man (which is saying something considering it's Hollow Man) except without someone like Kevin Bacon who has actual presence as the bad guy.

BONUS
The Invisible Man (2020) - This was an interesting film. It's well made, and I like the ideas behind it, but...it's not a fun movie and it's just kind of upsetting to watch. I don't know how I feel about it at the moment, I might have to watch it again sometime. One thing though, I don't like the invisible suit, it's so goofy looking. The first time we see it is when white paint is thrown on it, and it just looks like the texture of a golf ball. I laughed (still not a fun movie, there's just a couple incidental moments).

At the end of the day we went on to watch The Invisible Woman, which wasn't as good the second time, but still a fun time.
I really love that one.
But, no, it's not "fun."

Back
Top Bottom