• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Underworld Temptation by TMBTM

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a fanedit of Underworld and Underworld III Rise of the Lycans.
The movies are reorganized to tell the story of Viktor and Lucian in chronological order.
All the music have been replaced by songs of the band Within Temptation.

[align=center]
Underworld_Temptation_3Dview.jpg

I wanted to make another edit in the style of Conan: Man of war, where I replaced the music by songs of the band Manowar.
This time it’s still metal songs, but less agressive, more symphonic.
And the voice of the lead singer, Sharon Den Adel, fits well the fact that two of the main characters are females.
I also think that Underworld III is actualy one of the few prequels that should be watched before the original movie.
In the first Underworld we see some flashbacks that, more or less, tell us the story of Underworld III.
So better start with the prequel and remove the flashbacks related to those events.

On Conan: Man of war pretty much each time a song start I removed the sound effects of the movie.
This time I tried to keep as much sound effects I could.
This edit is also a lot more talkative. Although I tried to not let more than 2 or 3 minutes without new music.
In a lots of scenes characters speak above the music ( a thing I only made once on Conan, IIRC. For the speach of the king).

This edit will be released as a NTSC DVD with French, english, and songs subtitles, an additional scene and a live song by Within Temptation.
An xvid release will follow with srt for the subtitles.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
2 votes already and no comments... God how I hate that. I need feedback. Not that I doubt your skills, TMBTM, but I like reading others' comments before downloading :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
2 votes already and no comments... God how I hate that. I need feedback. Not that I doubt your skills, TMBTM, but I like reading others' comments before downloading :)

A 10/10 and a 6/10, for now.
Looks like a love it or hate it fanedit.

There are plenty of little reviews on this site: http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-2726337-Underworld-Temptation-Fanedit
But most of the reviewers seemed to think it was the new movie leaked or something, no wonder some of them sound pissed off, lol.
Some of them liked it though.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I absolutely LOVE your Trailer!!!
You completely hooked me.

I have downloaded the files and will try to watch it tonight and post a review tomorrow.:)

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More or less what BB said. Looking forward to it. :D

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
A 10/10 and a 6/10, for now.
Looks like a love it or hate it fanedit.

There are plenty of little reviews on this site: http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-2726337-Underworld-Temptation-Fanedit
But most of the reviewers seemed to think it was the new movie leaked or something, no wonder some of them sound pissed off, lol.
Some of them liked it though.

I like how some people there seem to think that Within Temptation are a goth band. :lol:

And I thought this comment

Waste of time,nothing new. BTW, With all these songs, the movie became a minstrel. OH,Sound delay. after all bad fan editing. [-1/10]

was a real slap in the face. Clearly not somebody we'd want reviewing movies for approval here. :lol:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a review of

UNDERWORLD TEMPTATION

WARNING: This review may contain spoilers!

I always find myself looking forward to a TMBTM edit. I find his approach to Fan Editing to be very fresh and entertaining. Most of his edits are never really about trying to "fix" a movie or trying to create a new "definite version", they are more about taking something we all know really well and giving it a new alternate original fun spin. His edits of Jaws, Star Wars, Conan and Once Upon a Time in the West, are all wonderful examples of this, and his latest edit, UNDERWORLD TEMPTATION, wonderfully continues this tradition.

Using the prequel UNDERWORLD 3 as the core driving storyline, combining it with the original UNDERWORLD, and augmenting the entire movie with a new symphonic metal/rock score by the Dutch band WITHIN TEMPTATION, TMBTM tells the story of Lucien and Viktor as though it were an epic rock opera. It is a bold and exciting idea for an fan edit!

And for me, for the most part, it works very well. Actually, some parts are absolutey stunning and brilliant, equal to or surpassing any professional production! While there are a few parts that feel somewhat disjointed or overly editted. And that is the issue I kept finding myself facing when trying to decide how to write this review, how the Parts of the edit affect the movie as a Whole.

Let's start some of the simple, easy and obvious stuff. The dvd design is truly beautiful. I loved it. The music choice is perfect, the graphics are a delight, and layout is simple and effective, with some nice bonus features. The techinical editting is exceptional. The picture quality is gorgeous. The audio is tricky, in some sequences I think the new soundtrack should have been dialed down a bit more. In the scenes where there is dialogue, there were a several occassion where I had trouble discerning what the characters were saying and I had to rewind as the Within Temptation score was too loud and distracting.

In specific regards to the new WITHIN TEMPTATION soundtrack..... all I can say is WOW! I had never heard of this band before and had no idea what to expect. I was utterly stunned. It is Epic, Emotional and Engaging. It's qualities perfectly lend itself to the Underworld Universe. In fact, many of the selected songs are so pefectly edited into the movie, that if I had not known before hand, I would have assumed they were composed as part of the original movie. High praise indeed! In fact, TMBTM's talented editting skills truly shine through on this edit, even more so than his previous Conan Man 'o War edit. He has crafted some utterly beautiful and jaw dropping moments in this edit, giving many scenes a new and more powerful emotional resonance through his slick editting and new soundtrack. In this respect, I can not sing his praises loud enough. BRAVO TMBTM!

On the flipside regarding the new soundtrack, it is VERY EPIC, EMOTIONAL, AND LOUD!!! And while it does elevate the material to new heights, it is also EXHAUSTING! This movie is pretty much one continuous Within Temptation soundtrack, with maybe only 3 or 4 minutes at most between the ending of one very loud epic over the top song and the start of another. I found this challenging at times to watch, and to be honest, had to pause the movie several times just to take a quiet breather break before continuing onward. Don't get me wrong, as I said new music works wonderfully, but I think I LESS might be MORE in this instance. Many times I felt the music overwhelmed the plot. I never felt this way during TMBTM's Conan edit, but the reason for that is the Conan movie is very simplistic and straightforward. You don't need alot of dialogue or explaination of things. But the Underworld movies are much more complex and character driven. I think I would have liked a few more quieter moments (or perhaps quieter/softer songs? ) to allow the storyline and characters to flow/breathe a bit more naturally and not begin to feel like I am watching a Within Temptation Music Video Mararthon.

As for the newly crafted narration, it works surprisingly well for the most part when one considers you are combining two movies set in two different time periods told from the point of view of two different narrators. TMBMT smartly opens the Underworld 3 portion with Selene's opening Voice Over from the original Underworld and then uses the remaining portion of the same monologue for the bridging scene from U3 to U1, thus creating the illusion the entire movie is a tale of Lucien being told by Selene. This is a very clever idea. And again, for the most part I think it works. TMBTM has cut both movies down to their absolute core, chopping each down to about 45-50 minutes. I think the first half works slightly better than the second. As in the second half, TMBTM has the considerable challenge of keeping the movie focused on Lucien and Viktor, and not let it become derailed by Selene and Michael's story. Thus, TMBTM has cut alot out in order keep Lucien a prominant and driving character, and there were many times I found myself wondering would someone who has never seen an Underworld movie before be able to easily follow the second of half of this edit? I think the big stuff is all there and clear, but many of the facsinating subtle intricacies Vampire/Lycan history and relationships is lost or is muddled. But that is the price one must pay for this type of fan edit.

My biggest nitpick (and also my greatest compliment) is the Lucien/Sonja romance which is suppose to be the foundation and unifying element of this edit. Beware, there will be a big Spoiler it this segment!!!! TMBTM cut the Big Reveal/Love Scene from U3 portion of the movie, and instead inserted it as a partial flashback in the second half of the movie. By doing this, I had great difficulty buying into Lucien and Sonja's epic love for each other. On the other hand, by intercutting this love scene with Selene and Michael's kiss to the music "Say My Name", is wonderfully beautiful, heart wrenching and may be my favorite scene in the entire edit. It is my opinion though, TMBTM should have kept the Lucien/Sonja love scene in its entirety in the first half of the movie, making their romance more real for the audience. IMO it would have made the later flashback scene even more powerful and tragic, and add greater weight to Lucien's final redemption.

In the end, I really enjoyed this edit. As I said, it is comprised of many brilliant and spellbinding Parts. I think it should be definitely watched by all fan editors. As a Whole, the narration of the second half of the movie becomes a bit disjointed, and there are moments it feels a bit too much like a Music Video rather than Narrative Movie, but I still found myself engaged, if not somewhat exhausted...LOL!

Another great fan edit by TMBTM!
THUMBS UP!!!!:)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, that's some review Bionicbob, thanks!

Just few things:
- the voice of Selene at the begining of the edit is from Underworld 3, not a "copy past" from her intro speach of the first movie.
At one point I also wanted to start the edit with Selene opening the story book, from the first movie (with this voice from underworld 3), but I thought having her voice was enough and i wanted to keep this book scene for the second half of the edit.
- And, yes, the tricky part was to have some lines still understandable above the music. In the workrint the voices were even more quiete and it was not good. And just rising the volume did not worked because of some frequencies mixing problem. So I had to give most of the voices a EQ filter to make them clearer. Sometime it worked well, sometime not so well. But that's the best I could do.

Thanks again.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Wow, that's some review Bionicbob, thanks!

Just few things:
- the voice of Selene at the begining of the edit is from Underworld 3, not a "copy past" from her intro speach of the first movie.
At one point I also wanted to start the edit with Selene opening the story book, from the first movie (with this voice from underworld 3), but I thought having her voice was enough and i wanted to keep this book scene for the second half of the edit.

Oops! My bad! Will have to pull my originals off the shelf to watch again. The two monologues pefectly compliment each other. Well done.

So I think you may have turned me into a Within Temptation fan. I have downloaded several of their songs onto my iPod this morning!
Thanks!

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
So I think you may have turned me into a Within Temptation fan.

:)

Me and Sharon, the lead singer of Within Temptation

meandsharon.jpg

I'm hoping to give them the edit the next time I'm able to see them, in october.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Better make sure you don't get a lawsuit slapped on yourself :p

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please note that Underworld Temptation is in a runoff poll for Fanedit of the Month. If you have seen both Underworld Temptation and Doc Savage please take a second and vote for your favorite of the two.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Within Temptation yesterday in france.
I gave my fanedit to the band after the show (lead singer Sharon was not there this time :-( but another member of the band said they have a video system in their tour bus so they could watch it. :)

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow You'll be doing their next promo at this rate!:D
Good one TMBTM.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I saw Within Temptation yesterday in france.
I gave my fanedit to the band after the show (lead singer Sharon was not there this time :-( but another member of the band said they have a video system in their tour bus so they could watch it. :)

meandsharon.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You may become The Man in the Iron Mask.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Ugly West ("Harmonica") and Jaws The Sharkploitation version are two of my favourite fanedits - period. So, whenever TMBTM announces his latest venture it goes without saying that I look forward to the day it sees release with the kind of excitement my 4 year old nephew exudes when he gets the latest Power Rangers figure (and there's me thinking they stopped making Power Rangers years ago!).

Perhaps more than any of his previous edits, Underworld Temptation intrigued me the most. I had not seen his highly praised Conan Manowar edit, so I was a little in the dark as to just what to expect with Temptation. However, I did actually know the band Within Temptation, having purchased their impressive Silent Force album, so in terms of the style of music which would be overlaying all the werewolf/vampire action I more or less knew what to expect. The thing which would be most interesting however is just how well the music would link with the images on screen and most vitally, the story itself. Plus, I have always wanted to do a fanedit which uses rock music in this fashion (probably using the Finnish band, Nightwish), so I couldn't wait to see the result.

Combining the prequel Rise of The Lycans with the original Underworld movie actually makes perfect sense. Like many people point out, if you've seen the first Underworld then the prequel is very much an anti-climax, as like all prequels you more or less know exactly where they are heading. No such exception here, but by splicing the movies together to form Underworld Temptation, Rise of the Lycans in particular comes out very well indeed. Certainly it's during this section of the edit where TMBTM is at his best. The use of songs by Within Temptation work far better than I could have dreamed possible, even if they do begin to blend into one another to the extent where anyone who isn't a fan of the band would be forgiven for having trouble telling where one ends and the other begins.

It doesn't quite work as well when we go forward in time and are introduced to Kate Beckinsale's character, with the footage from Underworld seeming quite rushed and you can actually tell that there's a substantial amount missing here, unlike in the first part of the edit where I was hard pressed to feel like anything was out of kilter. This comes to a head when Selene (Beckinsale) suddenly falls big time for Michael Corvin (Scott Speedman). Such is the amount of material cut from the film, that when we suddenly find out they are in love, it's like..."ummm, o k a y..." I can see what TMBTM was trying to do in keeping the running time down, but it's a part of the edit which stuck out like a sore thumb for me.

On the audio editing front, apart from one drop-out I noticed, this is damn near perfect. For some, perhaps the music overpowers the dialogue in a few scenes, but I believe for an edit so heavily intended to be reliant on the music of a band like Within Temptation, it's right for it be so prominent in the mix. I was also impressed by the scenes where the "original" audio track from the film has been filtered so that the background music which was there is basically removed, but the dialogue remains - ok, you can tell the dialogue sounds a little bit different to normal, but it works very well. It's a technique I so want to learn for future edits ;) Anyway, this gets a 9/10 for me.

Picture quality - again, more or less perfect. Both are dark movies, but scenes are all perfectly visible and blacks pretty solid. 9/10

Editing - overall very impressive, but there are a couple of moments which let this drop from the high standards TMBTM has set on previous edits. Most noticeably, the aforementioned cutting of scenes from the original Underworld film which render the Selene falls for Corvin scene as very unbelievable. Because of this, I would award a 8/10.

Overall then, whilst Underworld Temptation does not reach the giddy heights of Jaws or Harmonica for me, it nevertheless remains a fanedit of high quality and makes for a perfect Friday night movie. Put it this way. If there were such a a thing as a fanedit film festival, this would certainly have to be on the bill and would be a perfect way to kick start proceedings. Congratulations TMBTM. A very solid 8.5/10 for me.

Top Bottom