• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Under Construction

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
i definitely see the dissatisfaction with the ending as robert duvall pops outta nowhere (ok, not nowhere exactly, but definitely unexpected to the audience)

BUT... i felt that the story wasn't really about the chase and more about self-destruction - so with that i felt that his absense was intended.

I didn't see it as a surpise that a cop was there at the end, nor do I think that it was supposed to be a surprise.
We knew that the cops were after him, due to the nazi guy telling D-Fens that he has heard all about it on the radio.
And we saw Prendergast make a mental note of the licence plate of the abandoned car at the beginning.

Like joe, I took it as a story of self-destruction so I was left happy.

And besides, were is it written that we have to see everything that everybody goes through during the course of a movie.
Since we are following D-Fen's path of destruction, neither he nor the viewer would know which cop is after him.
We would only know that there are cops after him.
It doesn't matter which cop shows up really.

This style of storytelling is not new. It has been done before.
For me the best example of it is the film LONELY ARE THE BRAVE which stars Michael's father Kirk Douglas.
***SPOILERS***
the premise is the same. The hero is accidentally hit by a truck driver that has really no part in the story other than he hits Kirk at the end of the movie.
But what made it work and what may be lacking in this fanedit (I say may since i haven't watched it)
is that they introduce the truck driver in act one and we regularly check back on him throughout the movie.
So that by the time the ending arrives he doesn't come out of nowhere.
This style is also used in THE ROAD with the Guy Pearce character. But he also has scattered clues of his presence all through the film.

[youtube:gmep1eni]

well, I am happy it worked so well for you guys, zr and jbs, and I envy you for your experience, which I unfortunately did not (could not) have. :)
I feel a bit tempted to try my own Falling Down edit, but I think it would look like bad sport, so I won't - and have other things on my plate anyway.

Back
Top Bottom