• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Ugh, its all going wrong

FoolsFollowing

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm attempting my first edit, but am getting nothing but trouble from all the software!

I began with a fanedit I already had on my hard-drive (L8's Shadow of the Sith) as it was taking too long to rip the DVD. But the audiotrack was fused with the commentary. So I used PgcDemux to try and separate them, that gave me 3 audiotracks, none of which played, and which crashed everytime I tried to load them in Sony Vegas Movie Studio. So I gave up on those files and ripped the DVD. When I play it, the entire audio track is completely missing in places. Plus when I ripped it I used the freeware recomended by Boone: DVDFab, but its only a one-month trial version and there's a massive DVDFAB logo in the top corner which comes and goes throughout the film.

The fanedit I'm attempting is quite simple but so far nothing I've used has worked. I tried following the help on this website but that's what brought the problems in the first place. This isn't a productive post, I'm just really fed up and frustrated!
Grrrr!!!

Are you using the audio directly from the DVD (.ac3 file format)? .ac3 doesn't play nicely in Sony Vegas, and it's generally advisable that you convert this DVD audio file to six separate .wav mono files (one per channel), which are more easily accepted in editing software.

Sony Vegas will probably play back the MPEG2 DVD video stream fine, but it is also common practice to convert all video to lossless Lagarith/HuffYUV for quality, though, for a DVD movie, this will end up being 30-45GB depending on length.

What version of DVD fab are you using? I recommend using DVD Fab 8 QT and selecting "Main Movie." Even if the trial period is over, DVD fab will use the HD Decryptor to rip the .VOB Main Movie files without watermarking the image.

Did you get L8's permission to fanedit his fanedit? While not required, we are a community here and generally don't encourage people to use someone else's fanedit without asking first. (I've never heard of a faneditor saying "no", but better to ask just to be polite.)

Thanks for your help MovieGuy, I will have a look in the converting audio forum. Most of what you said went straight over my head, learning without an actual tutor is going to be a nightmare! I moved on to ripping with HandBrake. The quality isn't as good, but at least it appears to be actually working so far. =/

thunderclap said:
Did you get L8's permission to fanedit his fanedit? While not required, we are a community here and generally don't encourage people to use someone else's fanedit without asking first. (I've never heard of a faneditor saying "no", but better to ask just to be polite.)

^. Especially if you might ever have plans to post here. It is best for your first time to start from scratch, anyway. Just be patient, strap in, and understand that learning to edit video well, especially fanedits, is like learning a new profession. It doesn't happen overnight, and you are looking at a good number of weeks doing more research than editing. Fortunately there are a number of good websites out there including the forums here.

If you do use l8wrtr's edit, make sure to give him credit somewhere in the opening or end credits. Obviously we don't get permission to use the source material, but I would never cut the credits out of a movie and am a firm believer in proper citation on everything in life.

geminigod said:
If you do use l8wrtr's edit, make sure to give him credit somewhere in the opening or end credits. Obviously we don't get permission to use the source material, but I would never cut the credits out of a movie and am a firm believer in proper citation on everything in life.

I will always aknowledge all my influences and/or use of anybody else's material. I have the highest respect for the faneditors here (in particular l8WRTR who's editing and accompanying commentary I deeply treasure), and wouldn't even consider sourcing their work if I didn't. I'm not going to go seeking permission at this stage as I am starting absolutely from scratch, no more than a learner DJ would approach the artists he is mixing while he learns his hand at the decks. It is not out of insult but revery and humility that I do not approach them... however I hope to post my progress here to both learn from and perhaps even become a part of this community should my skills become sufficient!

So once again, no insult, and absolute respect, is aimed at those edits and editors which I encorporate in my progress.

(Although I would like to reiterate that I am currently working purely from the DVD rips and other edits are an influence, nothing more!)

In other news, I am making some progess on the editing. It is all baby steps, and it is very possible I will have to completely redo all my editing at a later stage as I have currently not separated the audio. It is my belief that making a complete but lower-quality edit will be more motivating than getting lost in all the technicalities and jargon at this stage (I'm sure others will disagree and I am aware this will probably cause me a hell of a lot more trouble in the long run! But I feel it is better to get to that point and realise my error than to never arive at all.)

To give some details, I am working on a series of Star Wars films, each set entirely from the perspective of one character. I have roughly cut 2 of the 6 films in this regard so far, the rest will follow soon (I hope).

Ask l8wrtr one day about having to start over from scratch. It happens to the best of em. ;-)

I'm pretty sure that happened to him with SotS, and he just made the choice to do the same with DotE so he could do HD. Its a LONG process.

Back
Top Bottom