• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Two Exits From Pan's Labyrinth by CBB

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have watched the "workprint" with my wife. It still has a few rough spots. But most of it works kind of well. However, the second movie is not at all a heartwarming one. With the few scenes left for Ofelia it is hard to connect to her so well, which makes the atmosphere a bit cold, but that was to be expected. The result is not what I would call a great movie, but still one worth watching. You'll see soon.
Within the next days I should have finished the final version, then subtitles need to be written, DVD menus created. The end is near.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the editing is hereby finished.
The second movie still has a few scenes I am not totally in love with, but the existing footage left me no other solution. Lots of scenes were re-arranged, were completely new scored or have new sound effects added to them. Alos some scenes were altered imagewise. This was a difficult project, but I am sure it has improved a few of my skills a lot. Now the subtitling starts, this time I will only create English subtitles. The movies will come in Spanish and German. The final length for movie 2 is 73 minutes. Movie 1 is 72 minutes.
This means that for both movies I had to cut about 50 minutes. Is a 70 minutes movie long enough to be enjoyed? Oh, yes.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
any project that has improved your skills has to be impressive ;) cant wait to see this beauty

P

Peter von Frosta

Will you put the movie two times on the DVD or will you use the seamless branching feature?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seamless is absolutely impossible, because I had to change lots of scenes for each movie, which would make no sense in the other movie and vice versa. So there will be two movies on one DVD. I am still thinking about creating a DL PAL version for the highest quality, but will probably stick to SL NTSC alone.

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd say that on such a visually aesthetic movie that you really should make the best picture quality possible. I'd suggest you make both, if it's not too much trouble, that way people have the choice.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
creating the menus is PAL and NTSC is quite some work... I will take a look at the final NTSC DVD and decide from there.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
subtitles are hereby finished and I have started on creating the menus. This should be finished soon, probably within the next days.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this project is hereby finished.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you! :)
I will post the info later on.

Ironman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't wait to see these two edits - the film certainly had potential but left me disappointed.

Kudos to you Boon. :D

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
probably available tomorrow on RS.
I am working on the info now.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
******************FANEDIT.ORG proudly presents***************************
************************A fanedit by CBB*********************************
****************TWO EXITS FROM PAN'S LABYRINTH***************************

**************************INTRODUCTION**********************************
Pan's Labyrinth was THE surprise of the year 2006. It won 3 academy awards for its stunning effects and the incredible atmosphere. Like in one of his previous movies (The Devil's Backbone) Guillermo Del Toro combined a fantasy story with real events in Spain during the fascist era, thus creating an incredible mix of plot. And once again the intention was to combine real horror with fantasy horror, where the audience had to find out that nothing is more terrifying than reality. But as in the predecessor, Pan's Labyrinth's shocking reality elements also distracted from a great fantasy story. The amount of cruelty and violence was too much for lots of people, who otherwise might have watched the best fantasy or dark fairy tale movie in years. Twistd101 came up with the idea to get rid of the shocking reality bits and create a fairy tale version with an all working plot. However, since the two elements are deeply interconnected, he was not able to separate one from the other. So I took the challenge and picked up his wonderful concept to finally get to see Pan'S Labyrinth in the way I could rather bear it, focusing only on Ofelia's way to become the lost daughter of the underground king. It was very tough work and it required lots and lots of creative decisions and re-arrangements to get a working, flowing and for the audience convincing plot, when so many events were missing. But I was successful. And while I was working on "OFELIA PRINCESA DE LAS PROFUNDIDADES" (Ofelia, princess of the underworld), I thought, why not also instead of adding deleted scenes to the final DVD, create a movie only based on the real events too. So that is what I did, and the second movie "LA GUERRA DEL CAPITAN MALVADO" (A dark hearted captain's war) was no easier than the first one. The result are two very different movies, both taken from the same source, the first one a little creepy fairy tale movie, and the second one a cruel war drama.

***************************THE EDIT**************************************
OFELIA PRINCESA DE LAS PROFUNDIDADES
I had to edit lots and lots and even some more scenes to make this edit work. Several scenes are completely re-scored, with all new sound effects, just to support the plot or better fit in. Creating a movie like it was NOT intended to be proofed to be a tough one.
And here are edited scenes that I remember the best:
1.Ofelia walks to the tree: In these scene the soldiers are exploring a rebel camp in the woods. Meanwhile little Ofelia is walking to the tree with the toad, reading the text aloud that guides her. Now she is reading the text, even when the riders are shown. But in this version there are no riders, so I had to rearrange the text she speaks to get rid of the scene and have it still make sense. Tough one.
2. Mercedes sings the lullaby: Ofelia is banned to her own room, because her mother is so sick. When Mercedes works in her room, they are talking about the rebels and then she sings the lullaby. Now I wanted the lullaby by all means, but the rebel talk not. The cut is a bit rough, but it works.
3. The kidnapping of the brother: Everything that lead to Ofelia being locked up in her room is gone. Mercedes does not take her with her, they are not captured, Ofelia is just sitting in her room at night, when the pan enters again to grant her a last chance. While this was rather easy, the following was all not. In the original movie the captain tries to torture Mercedes and she attacks him with a knife and hurts him badly in his chest, in his back and especially in his face. Now there was no way to include these ultra violent scenes, including the captain stitching up his cut mouth, BUT I needed him hurt, because that is how he discovers Ofelia and that is how he follows her. What I did was to start the attack of the rebels early, most of all just hearable when Ofelia gets her brother. The scene works very well and you exactly know, how the captain got hurt in the attack. Very tough one.

There are lots and lots of other cuts, audio transitions, replaced audio to fit the plot. the result is a rather well working fantasy edition, which I hope the audience can truly enjoy. Kids that are allowed to watch the Harry Potter movies may watch that one too. It's creepy, it's a bit violent, but not too much to bear.

LA GUERRA DEL CAPITAN MALVADO
The amount of work was about the same as for the fantasy version. I had to re-arrange scenes, put a new score and new sound effects on plenty of scenes to get rid of the fairy tale plot and fairy tale atmosphere in the best possible way. The result is a rebellion drama without a real focus, because there is no true main actor. Still the events are a complete story that should be interesting to watch.
And these scenes stayed in my mind for tough editing:
1. Ofelia puts the stone into the statue: in this scene Ofelia puts a stone into a statue and sees the fantasy insect for the first time. The entire scene is scored with a mystic music, which had to go. Now she sees the insect, but not close, and there is no music.
2. Ofelia enters the labyrinth: When Ofelia enters the labyrinth, the scene is heavily scored with mystic music, so that all of us know that something VERY special is there. But it is only a labyrinth now. I had to rescore the entire scene.
3. Ofelia reads a book in the bathroom: Now the book she reads there is THE magic book, but not in this movie. She just likes to read a lot and knows her mother disapproves to that. And when she looks at the mark on her shoulder, she just imagines to be a princess, but those are now the fantasies of a 10-years old girl and nothing more.
4. The blood of her mother: now in this scene, Ofelia's mother cries for her help, when she starts bleeding. Problem is, that Ofelia is reading the magic book and the book shows her the blood. Scenes had to be re-arranged and a lot of stuff and sound replaced or deleted to get this scene to work. Now Ofelia walks into the bathroom, starts reading, hears her mother cry for help and opens the door again to find her.
5. the mandrake root: In the original Ofelia gets the mandrake root to heal her mother. But there is no mandrake root in this edit. Now there is a scene in which she clearly holds the root in her hands, but let's not forget that she is 10 years old and this might as well be a toy. It sure looks like a toy. It was pretty tough to get rid of most the sounds the mandrake root makes when Ofelia is under the bed and even this did not work 100%. But since there are several people in the room with her, the strange sound could be caused by a lot of natural things.
6.the labor scene: when Ofelia's mother goes into labor, she first burns the mandrake root, after the captain has discovered it from under the bed. Now in this edit, as you know, there is no mandrake root. Still the labor had to start. Lots of scenes had to be rearranged or deleted and most of the sequence rescored to get this working. You can still hear the mandrake root screaming, but actually it is just a creepy sound supporting the terrible scene.
7. the chalk scene: now in the original the pan helps Ofelia to get out of her room and into the captain's quarters using a magical piece of chalk, which the captain finds and starts searching the room for an intruder. In this edit, where there is neither the chalk, nor the pan, a lot had to be done to make this scene work. Now Ofelia is causing a noise to cause the captain to start looking for an intruder. Tricky.

Of course there are lots and lots and even some more other cuts in this movie to help the flow of the plot. It worked rather well. Still there are a few rough spots and I myself find this version a bit cold, because it lacks scenes to sympathize with Ofelia, who in this edit is most of all a strange girl.
***************************DVD DETAILS************************************
72/73 minutes NTSC 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with AC3-5.1 audio
LANGUAGES : SPANISH (with English subtitles as default), GERMAN
SUBTITLES : ENGLISH
MENUS : most are animated with sound
SCENE SELECTION : yes
TRAILER, TEASER : no
CBB OVERVIEW : yes, for all 22 fanedits
COVER&Disc ART : yes, on DVD-Rom part

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
in 30 minutes this will be up on Rapidshare. I will launch the torrent for this tomorrow and it would be really nice if one or some of you could join in seeding for a while.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sounds great boon. I will join the seeding for a while after I get it :)

Top Bottom