• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Twin Peaks The Return (Season 3)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just read this too. AMAZING NEWS! 25 Years!

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
and happy it's not a reboot, but continuation of the original story.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow. I never followed the series myself, but I have nothing but empathy for everyone who had been left hanging all these years. Congratulations! I hope it shapes up to be the closure you've been waiting for, guys. I just might do a binge watch once the new season hits Blu-Ray.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm ofisschialley indifferent to this.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Wow. I never followed the series myself, but I have nothing but empathy for everyone who had been left hanging all these years. Congratulations! I hope it shapes up to be the closure you've been waiting for, guys. I just might do a binge watch once the new season hits Blu-Ray.
I always thought the original series had an excellent ending. The problems were with Lynch and Frost trying to figure out how to stretch the story into a second season they never thought they'd get.

That said, I could actually see this as something they planned 25 years ago and that idea has me excited for this.

[video=youtube_share;BL57-9171pk]

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the second season wasnt so bad if you remove all storylines not involving Dale Cooper/Windom Earle.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The second season was great, it's just that the first season was perfect and by comparison the second one wasn't up to snuff. Really it's all subjective. Personally I like to think of season 2 as multiple seasons, it's almost 3 times as many episodes as season 1. Then the film and the missing pieces are pretty much a season or so, all together. Now this new season will have 9 episodes.

Using that logic we already have 5 seasons and the new one in 2016 makes 6.

#SixSeasonsAndAHashTag :wacko:

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
I'm ofisschialley indifferent to this.

Nothing in this thread can possibly beat that post.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is insane news. I've always been against a revival because it never felt necessary, but since it's happening because Lynch and Frost really want to tell a new Twin Peaks story, I'm all for it. I trust them.

I'm still not sure how they'll bypass the obvious problem of four of the major players in the Black Lodge storyline being gone: Don David (Major Briggs), Frank Silva (Bob), Hank Worden (the old room service waiter), and Frances Bay (Mrs. Tremond) are all dead. (Also, Calvin Lockhart is dead, and Al Strobel and Michael J. Anderson are retired.) But I'm sure they'll think of something. We met quite a few Lodge spirits, after all, and we can meet more. Besides, the trick to this is writing a good story that takes place in Twin Peaks, among humans, and use the Lodges more as a comment/sidestep to the main action (the way it was used in FWWM).

I'm one of those who really want more FBI, btw, not just the town of Twin Peaks. Chris Isaak and Kiefer Sutherland were comedy gold together. If David Bowie has the time/inclination, I wouldn't complain if he returns as well.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
a story i read once mentioned Lynch wanted to do more of the Bowie storyline, and also wanted to explain where Chris Isaak ended up. I dont think the absence of Bob matters (Bob could be evil that manifests its self in many forms), Mrs. tremond (dont think she sdded much to the story), Major Briggs was in the diner eating in the last episode- so he shouldnt enter into it, I am sure if Lynch worked his magic and needed Al Strobel or Michael J. Anderson, he could convince them to act again. Of course this is all my opinion and speculation right now.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very excited about this. Not sure how important a part the original cast would play (except for Kyle Maclachlan). I'd love to see what happened at the bank and Leo Johnson's hairy situation.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Co-Creator Mark Frost writing a novel to bridge the gap.

A novel called The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks will explore the lives of characters from the show in the 25 years between when it went off the air and the planned revival, and perhaps also tell some deeper secrets.

The Wrap passes on news that Macmillan subsidiary Flatiron Books will publish the novel in 2015. The story “reveals what has happened to the people of that iconic fictional town since we last saw them 25 years ago,” says an official blurb, and will give “a deeper glimpse into the central mystery that was only touched on by the original series.”

I've never read any of Frost's other books, so I have no idea of his skills in that department. And hell I had never heard about the other Twin Peaks books, "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" and "The Autobiography of Dale Cooper". Anybody here ever read either of those?

I'm very intrigued by all of this.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frost is a very solid writer. I haven't read any of them, but his first novel The List of Seven (1993) was mostly very well received. (The sequel slightly less so.) It's a piece of the kind of retro Victorian kitsch writing that only became fashionable later on, and seems like it shares some similarities with, say, The League of Extraordinary Gentlement (the comic, not the film).

The reason why people are Lynch fans and not Frost fans, despite the fact that Frost wrote most of what people enjoy about Twin Peaks, is (IMHO) that Frost is a better writer when he's wrestling with other people's ideas (or when he collaborates). It's telling that his best novel (The List of Seven) is highly unoriginal in its subject matter and bordering on fanfic (in a good way), and that his best work has been as collaborator with Stephen Bochco and David Milch as writer/story editor/director on Hill Street Blues and with Lynch, Peyton and Engels on Twin Peaks. His sense of dialogue and story structure is amazing, not least when he's editing other people's scripts or writing rough story outlines. His original ideas are often less interesting, unless sparked by something interesting and original. Which is why I think his Twin Peaks novel will be great! The characters are already there, and I'm sure David will pitch in with some story ideas since he's very much invested in the endgame of the novel (since I assume the new season will start off where the novel ends, more or less).

The other Twin Peaks books are uneven, but interesting. Jennifer Lynch (David's daughter) wrote the Secret Diary and Scott Frost (Mark's brother, also a screenwriter and later novelist) wrote the Autobiography. Both were rush jobs, the diary was released before the premiere of the second season and the Autobiography was released sometime late season two. It's rumoured that David Lynch had more input in the writing of the Diary than in the actual Twin Peaks scripts from late season one and early season two, and it's certainly darker and more impressionistic than the pedal-to-the-metal procedural thriller the series was at that point. The Autobiography is wildly uneven, but really funny at times. Also, the Windom Earle backstory is (in my recollection) better and more interesting than it was on the show - less cackling, more quiet menace.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's disappointing but as long as they still make the series I'm happy.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
it would be the same, look what happened with season 2 after he left- for the most part a big mess.
Showtime says they are still trying to work things out.
that might be them trying to pubically save face or not.
But Lynch and his fans have waited 25 years for this story to be properly finished,
just give Lynch the money and let's be done.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder how far off Showtime's offer is from his demands.

Top Bottom