• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Teresa Banks and the Last Seven Days of Laura Palmer

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saucy jacks said:
Hi, this looks fantastic, I'm new to Fan Edit, where is this available for downlioad?

Let me answer your question with a question.

Have you read The Rules?
Have you read Using This Site?

Ok, that was two questions

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
But he was asking for a downlioad, which is totally different...

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3016970669_d765ef93ab.jpg

seajay1221

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a few different copies of this, only one of which self identifies as 2.1. The internet being what it is though, there's no way to tell for sure just based off a filename.

Q2, is there any kind of "tell" that would definitely state which version someone is watching?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm making my way through the series for the first time now. When I'm done would you guys recommend the DVD or Q2 version of Fire Walk with Me for a first-time viewing? And is version 2.1 The lastest Q2 version?

LatheOfHeaven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I'm making my way through the series for the first time now. When I'm done would you guys recommend the DVD or Q2 version of Fire Walk with Me for a first-time viewing? And is version 2.1 The lastest Q2 version?

Well, again not to be too unappreciative, but since the audio in the otherwise lovely Fan Edit is only a paltry 320, if you haven't actually seen the film before and you have ANYWHERE NEAR a decent audio system, I would watch the original first.

Sorry... I truly do NOT mean to be P*ssing all over the gentlemen's effort, but to me to go to all the AWESOME time and trouble and then just to throw on a crappy 320 audio track compared to LOSSLESS...??? Are you kidding me...? Otherwise, even if it just had the DTS core @ 1500, I would probably always default to the Fan Edit as the preferred choice, but there is absolutely NO way that the audio is even CLOSE to being acceptable for a true complete improvement / replacement for the original.

Just my (somewhat strong) feelings...

Cheers!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^To each his own. I think there's only been a small handful of Fanedits that had DTS-HD audio, like maybe 1 or 2. Me personally I'm not an audiophile and so therefore I have no problem with the "crappy 320" track Q2 provided.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but remember, we all do this as a hobby for fun, and it's being shared for free.

LatheOfHeaven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
^To each his own. I think there's only been a small handful of Fanedits that had DTS-HD audio, like maybe 1 or 2. Me personally I'm not an audiophile and so therefore I have no problem with the "crappy 320" track Q2 provided.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but remember, we all do this as a hobby for fun, and it's being shared for free.

No, of course, you are absolutely right. I apologize for getting a little carried away there, sorry about that :( I guess I just take this kind of thing seriously, as I'm sure many here do too, as well as the fellow who worked so hard on this excellent Fan Edit. I guess my frustration is sort of specific because although I do not make Fan Edits, I have done literally hundreds and hundreds of encodes and transcodes and muxing audio from one version to another, etc. I am NO expert, by any means, but what I DO know is that with all the pain staking time the fellow took to put this together, it just (to me anyway) is incomprehensible after all that stuff he must have done which HAD to take many, MANY hours, and then simply NOT to mux in the lossless audio from which he clearly had the source, from the Blu-ray, where he got all the video stuff. The thing that drives me (even MORE) crazy is that THAT part is way less trouble than all the other stuff he had already done.

So, anyway, I do though apologize for coming across that way; I truly did not mean to. But it's like taking hours and hours to design and taylor a perfectly fitting suit and then to throw on some $5 flip flops... :) But, like I say, maybe because I'm coming at this from what I do personally with all the time I take to do my stuff, I guess perhaps I am just WAY more sensitive to this. It probably doesn't bother others nearly as much as it does me.

Thanks again though to the fellow for doing an outstanding job with all that he did!

Cheers!

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always looked for DTS when buying off eBay.
Most DVDs there struck me as bootlegged, but rarely with DTS.

That said, 320 is an generous size for most audio tracks.
I would usually be happy with 128.

I do prefer 5.1, but I know many of the editors have problems there.
I listened to Q2's Fire Walk on headphones and over room speakers - sounded good either way.

LatheOfHeaven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
I always looked for DTS when buying off eBay.
Most DVDs there struck me as bootlegged, but rarely with DTS.

That said, 320 is an generous size for most audio tracks.
I would usually be happy with 128.

I do prefer 5.1, but I know many of the editors have problems there.
I listened to Q2's Fire Walk on headphones and over room speakers - sounded good either way.

Yeah, you are probably right. I likely just need to listen to it more objectively and appreciate all the work that went into the edit.

Again, it's just the fact that the source he used already had a remastered LOSSLESS audio track anyway, probably sampled around like 3000 to 4000 kbps. So, I guess it's just the THOUGHT of the sound being like less than 10% of it's original quality that bothers me. ESPECIALLY, remember, that with David Lynch, the soundtrack is a HUGE part of the mood and construction of the story. If it was just some other CHEEEEEZ film, I probably wouldn't care as much.

The sad thing is that when you already HAVE the Blu-ray and are using it as the SOURCE which already has a lossless audio track, and you are going to all the trouble to create this awesome Fan Edit anyway, all you need to do, as in this case, is preserve the lossless audio (or drop it down to the core @1500 - that's still pretty good) But, as was explained earlier by another post here, the fellow apparently felt that it was more important to keep the disc size to a single layer Blu-ray, so he specifically chose to use a much smaller audio track in order to fit. However, as was also mentioned, a person who is doing all this editing and going to all this time and trouble can VERY simply used a free program like Blu-ray Rebuilder and simply keep the lossless audio and use the extremely good x264 codec and just compress a mere 2 or 3 gigs from the video in order to accommodate the lossless audio. It is just SO easy to do!

Okay, I PROMISE I will TRY not to complain any more :) (well, unless someone mentions something specific... ;-))

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This thread has produced some interesting non-conversations.

LatheOfHeaven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heh, well... at least I am glad it was interesting. I didn't want to further irritate anyone :)

BTW, and definitely ***OFF TOPIC*** (just this once...), but SORT of what I was talking about and included in some of the stuff I do. I just put together a nice print of 'eXistenZ' which combines the superiour video quality of the Echo Bridge multi pack release (the colour grading is darker and better in tone) with the FAR better audio (OOPS, here we go again! :) ) of their stand alone release (DTS core @1500) The audio of the multi-pack release was only @192! Can you imagine?!! So, now I have the best of both with the better DTS audio muxed with the MUCH better video of the earlier release.

Just thought that I'd throw that in there since it is SORT OF related to what I was talking about...

Cheers!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last warning before infraction...stop posting about the audio.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As it happens, one of my friends just started watching the series at the behest of another mutual friend so we're all going to get together to watch the series together. We watched the 90 minute pilot and the next episode last week and we'll watch the next two or three episodes this week. So far I'm loving it.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This show is amazing. I feel like it's a parody of something but I don't think it is. It's meant to be serious, right? We were talking about how Agent Cooper is the mayor in Portlandia and now I'm wondering if Fred Armisan was watching this show while filming his first season and thought this guy would be a perfect fit for the oddball feel he's going for.

Top Bottom